Android sub-forum?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by awp69, Feb 20, 2013.

1. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Yeah, I know it's a long shot and it's the "dark side" for iOS gamers, but I noticed that there are a few comments I see in threads about people who had played a game on Android or were wondering whether a game would come out on Android. So I think there are iOS gamers that may have both iOS and Android devices (like myself).

That and the fact that, just plain honestly there isn't shit as far as Android forum that comes as close to TA. And it's a major pain in the ass to find out anything about what's new or any good for Android. There's a few news sites that are good (like DroidGamers.com) but the forums I've found are just sad and depressing after being blessed with the community here.

So with all that said, I wonder if there are enough people on these forums that have Android devices and might be interested in setting up a separate sub-forum.

What do you think Mods? I know I wouldn't be contributing much at first because, frankly, that's one reason I want one is to know what people are playing on their Android devices. The reviews on the stores like Google Play are nice and there's some reviews on various sites, but I have no idea what is being released or what has been released, which is one of the big benefits of this community as well as impressions.

2. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
  3. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

This has actually been discussed quite a bit!

4. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    +1 to this suggestion. When I do upgrade my phone to a smart phone I'm planning on getting an Android because they seem to have some promising games and I would enjoy a similar forum related to Google Play. Plus this would be a good coup for Touch Arcade to become a standard bearer of all mobile gaming (not just the App Store niche).
    Great news!

5. KennyK

KennyK Well-Known Member

Although I don't have an Android device, I wouldn't mind any way for the TA community to grow :)

6. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #6 awp69, Feb 20, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
    There are some decent exclusives for Android - Puddle is one of my favorites at the moment - and a lot of Kemco RPGs debut there first. But for the most part, the games I've come across are either already on the iOS or I can't find them on the Android.

The Tegra 3 optimized games are nice (the aforementioned Puddle is one of them as well as, surprisingly, a Bard's Tale which looks fantastic).

But the biggest problem is other than the REALLY big games, it's very difficult to find out about new releases. I'm sure there's tons of indie games that I'm not hearing about, even though the Android is far behind in the number of apps.

It's nice to come here every Wednesday and see what's coming that night. That's something missing from Android and no forum that seems to track things like this one. As I said, it's crap shoot trying to find new/good games. And the search on Google Play is horrid.

Hopefully, there's others on this site interested as well. Even if we can't find out about new releases as quickly as on the iOS, it'd be nice to have a place to share the gems found on Android.

7. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    Couldn't agree more.
    Its always a crap shoot to find new releases for Android.
    Having an Android sub-forum would be helpful to share big release Android games or related games/apps that are for both android/iOS devices.

Plus there isn't any Android forums that are anyway near what TA is and would be great to create one under this banner as it has a solid foundation to start. I'd rather keep it all in one place and think it'd be beneficial instead of going off to some other hokey forum that doesn't have TA's quality of membership.

8. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Exactly. The forums I've found for Android gaming are either seem plagued by bots creating threads for the sake of creating threads or are so inactive that you can look at the first page and there's days if not weeks between some of the threads.

This forum thrives. And despite what some say about the bickering that goes on here sometimes (particularly about things like IAPs, which in all honesty is going to create bickering), there's still a lot of dedicated people here who give honest opinions and bring to light the great games ....and the not so great ones.

And with the sheer number of members, I'm sure there's plenty that do also own an Android device.

9. Too bad it doesn't seem like you can have subforums right? Would be cool to have an Etc forum with a bunch of subforums like Android, PS3, Xbox, etc.. But I don't think it can be done. One problem if you make an Android forum, then the console people will want one too, then everyone might want a forum. I wouldn't mind an HDMI forum,,, just kidding...

10. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Great idea! I would love that! Like everyone says, there isn't crap out there for the Android, and there needs to be! Since I got my new Samsung Galaxy Note ll, I've been all over the Google Play store checking it out and buying all sorts of apps for the new phone, and while there's some good stuff to be had there (such as all the emulators, and some of the adult content Apple's too anal for nowadays), generally, there's issues with buggyness, spam, and other unwanted little buggers throughout the games to beware of. The store itself is a hassle to navigate and there's little in terms of new releases and up-coming news as such. I find it disappointing to say the least because the possibilities seem great!! Since TA does things so well IMO, it would be fantastic for it to cover the 'dark' side as well, or at least a sister site to do so. So many users, so much potential there! If you've spent any time in the Play store, you can't help but see how much it's needed.

11. KevinS

KevinS Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2012
    I think this is a great idea, many developers on this site also have there apps in the android market. TA could also make something like 1 post a week talking about android. :)

12. KennyK

KennyK Well-Known Member

So maybe not a sub-forum, but a main forum? If we have two main forums for iOS games, why not a main forum for Android games?

Besides, it's not like this site is called iOS Arcade. So we could have:

Touch Arcade
    Keeping you in touch with the latest in iOS and Android gaming

13. bigrand1

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    I LIKE that a lot! Cover all the bases there!

14. Toucharcade

Keeping you in touch with the latest in ios, android, windows phones, blackberry os, consoles, and used cars.

Don't get a lemon!

15. Dams

Dams Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Well, if you go this way, do it well with RSS News. The only reason I am coming here is that any news I see here apply on my devices. If I need to start filtering myself news for game and Android I don't care about, won't be happy.

BTW, if the site become more known by Android users, it will for sure attract all the apple haters in there. Be wise before you chose.

16. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    Well unfortunately maturity doesn't run rampant within any forum. Never could understand why anyone would click onto a thread knowing they don't like the subject to post. And the very least we still have an ignore button option for people that simply like to hate.

Also we do have PS3, Vita, DS postings all the time and all seem to be able to cope with them.

......OR we could create our own social group for Android users.:cool:

17. bigrand1

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Check out brand new site droidgamers.com! Loving it so far! See what you guys think! :D

18. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    Yea, got pm'd of it. Looks like a pretty cool site. Wonder if anyone from here has made an account as yet. I've been surfing around and still in the "checking it out" mode but liking it a lot.

19. Looks promising, right now the forums are bare, but would be cool if there was a good forum site that we could visit.

20. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Yep, I've been checking it out too and need to become a member. Guess the main reason I suggested it here is that there's such a huge built in community and I know there are people with multiple devices.

As for fear of console gamers then wanting their own sub-forum, to me it's not the same thing. Android gaming is mobile/touch screen gaming. Even though it's a competitor of the iOS, you'll even see other gaming sites like Pocketgamer combine them (there app of the month list is for both iOS and Android for instance). There's a lot more crossover between the two systems with devs publishing the same games on both.But as several have mentioned,Google Play is difficult to navigate and, while there's a few decent news sites, there's no community like this to find out about new releases and exclusives. I rely more on the discussions on here than review sites for iOS games because I've gotten to know people with similar tastes and I respect their opinion.

Droidgamers may build up to something like this. I just thought with the massive community here, there is bound to be quite a few Android owners. And it may blossom quickly.

Again, I would never suggest this for the Xbox 360 or another console, I just think Android is a natural fit.