Trigger City - Coming 5/13/13 - Promo Codes & Giveaway

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Slipshod Games, May 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. #1 Slipshod Games, May 6, 2013
    Last edited: May 10, 2013

After two years of working on it in my spare time, I finally submitted my first game to Apple this past Monday. I received the approval on Friday and I've got 5/13/13 scheduled as the official release date.

I wanted to share a few promo codes as well as mention the giveaway I'm doing which is for $10 iTunes gift cards every day from 5/8 to my release date of 5/13/13.

Official Site
    www.slipshodgames.com/triggercity

Straight from the App Store Description:

When a vicious gangster upends the city’s underworld, a low level enforcer with a price on his head must fight his way through the mean streets of Trigger City on a bloody quest for revenge.

► Punch, kick, pummel, bash, maim, stab, and shoot your way across the city in 16 carnage-filled levels.

► Fight your way through 5 unique gangs, each with their own combat style, and a blood thirsty leader calling the shots.

► Unleash bone-crunching special moves to reduce your enemies to heaping puddles of gore.

► Cash in on your corpses at the Shady Dealer, where you can buy an array of illegal goods, like the… well, we can’t really talk about that here… Meet me out back.

► Speed through the streets of Trigger City on the back of a hair-raising motorcycle. Helmet laws will be the least of your worries…

► Want to spend your hard earned earth dollars on power ups and in-game currency? Too bad! No in-app purchases here, you bought the game, you get the WHOLE game!

Inspired by your favorite beat ‘em ups, and sporting a retro art style inspired by the likes of River City Ransom, Crash ‘n the Boys: Street Challenge, and more; Trigger City brings 8-bit vengeance to your iOS device.

Promo Codes:
    J9LLWJ73AXE7
    EAJ6FEH6KKWK
    K3PE7LR79NPP

Giveaway: http://splur.gy/r/WdCgs

Happy to answer any questions!

2. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

J9LLWJ73AXE7 is taken, thanks
    I'll post impressions later

3. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    All codes gone.

4. Bassman97

Bassman97 Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2012
    none
    You dont need to know
    Dang I would try out for the contest but I don't have either account, I watched the video and commented. The game takes me back to when I used to play my gameboy, looking forward the 13th!!

5. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    Very excited to play this game, and wishing I'd gotten home from work early enough to grab a code. I did enter the contest via Twitter, which is all I use, and I'll hope to be enjoying this soon. Thanks for the contest and sharing. :)

6. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

Looks really good! What is the price if I may ask...

7. Thanks for the kind words! I'm a little low on codes at the moment, but I'll see which haven't been used by review sites come mid-week and try and post those that haven't.

I also plan on doing a give away on release day when I won't be limited by Apple's pre-release limit.

Oh, and the App Store price is $0.99.

8. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    A spectacular game like this coming out in over a week and no one has the decency to post some impressions? Bravo guys.

Well, guess what? I've been lucky to have been playing this for a little while and I'll be posting some impressions as soon as I'm done with the game. :) Hopefully the girlfriend will give me some time to put in that last little bit of effort needed to finish this off today. >_>

SPOILERS: Say hello to your new favorite old-school iOS brawler.

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Arrrgh !

I dont normally bother with promo codes but a retro style game, would have loved one for sure.

As usual the codes are all gone without any impressions, people seem to have the time to get the code/download the game but not 5 minutes to quickly load it up. The whole idea of promo codes is for users to talk about the game and help the hype, instead as usual silence !

Arrrgh ! Dev - if you get any more promo codes offer them via PM as then you know who will have downloaded it and can ask for impressions.

Edit - The video looks great, love the retro style of the graphics, even the font for the score etc. I'm a huge fan of Double Dragon style games and this looks great

10. I will definitely have a couple more unused promo codes tomorrow and I will PM you one as soon as I receive them, psj3809.

metalcasket, I'm so glad you're enjoying it and I can't wait to hear your thoughts!

11. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    After seeing the video, I have to say it looks fantastic! Nice to see a mixture of Target Renegade and Final Fight with car/bike chases. Amazing combo :)

12. background

background Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2012
    Auditor
    The classic beat game is always enjoyable, hoping the control will be good.

13. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Im surprised nobody mentioned River City Ransom. This looks good though, looking out for it.

14. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yeah sorry i was going to mention River City Ransom, must admit i never played it that much, i was always a Double Dragon/Renegade player.

Anyway managed to get this last night from the dev.

Its a brilliant NES style River City Ransom/Double Dragon 'homage'. It has quite old skool chiptune music to it, the graphics are brilliant, the font also reminds you of old NES games.

I played the whole of the first level, its a proper old skool beat em up, us oldies will feel right at home !

Its great as you can 'learn' combination of kicks, eg punch/punch/kick when your combo is full makes you do some crazy moves and theres lots of other combinations you can learn/buy.

Yes i said buy ! There is a shop, hold on hold on ! Theres NO IAP's, you simply use the coins you collect on screen to buy extra combinations or health etc. All very fair. Theres 6 levels, only played the first one so far. First one was quite straight forward, keep going to the right and beating everyone up ! The others might have more variety, i'll find out soon.

Its well presented, the buttons can be made smaller. 'Sometimes' the buttons cover say one of the guys in the corner but you can lead him out. Its not a huge problem, i prefer the playing area to be larger and the buttons on top rather than a smaller area with buttons underneath.

So if you're a fan of these old skool looking brawlers i think you'll love it, the music/graphics are very old skool, very impressive considering it seemed to be done by an indie dev rather than a huge company. But well worth getting, actually now hope there was an IAP button as i would like to give something to the dev.

Hope he does a similar game in the future, imagine one with wizards/knights/goblins, eg a retro style Golden Axe!

15. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Looks like psj beat me to it. :p

I'm glad to say that someone finally "gets it". While there are already more than enough old-school brawlers on iOS, it seems like none of the "iOS originals" (i.e. not ports) are just good enough for those who hold the genre so near and dear to their heart. In every release thread, you'll see comments like "It's alright...but I wish there were combos", most recently with Ravenous' Beatdown!, for example. The combat and controls were fine, but it was far too simple, the levels were very "samey" and it just boring way too fast. I praised The Gods: Uprising for finally giving us an experience we would have been proud to play in arcades as kids, but it isn't an old-school brawler. Not by a long shot.

While Trigger City is indeed a simple game (move left to right while punching and kicking), it remains fresh throughout its entire duration. As psj said, you've got various combos that can be unlocked only by playing the game and earning the in-game currency. While you won't be able to unlock everything in one single playthrough, you'll have earned enough bad-ass moves to want to play over and see 'em all. The move animations are sick, and that OOMPH! when you nail an uppercut combo and see the skull and rib cage of your opponent amidst a puddle of crimson red blood is so, so satisfying. Each area (consisting of 3 parts each...except for the motorway level) has its own baddies, with certain characteristics that you'll have to adapt to...whether it's lunging towards you, smacking you upside the head with a broken bottle or trying to shoot you from a distance. Once they're down and out, you'll be able to use their weapons against them. Everything's mapped to 2 buttons, so you don't have to worry about searching for a pop-up weapons button or anything.

The animations throughout the game are gorgeous (I especially love the facial expressions) and the levels all look like they were pulled out of a SEGA Genesis title with that certain Streets of Rage "nitty gritty" charm. As mentioned in the app description and aforementioned here, there's even a single motorway level and an elevator level. How cool of a throwback to the games that inspired this is that?

My favorite part of the game has to be the story. Each level starts and ends with dialogue, and you actually feel like your character has a purpose, with logical progression through the sets of levels until you've reached the leader's roof for the final battle. When you're not speaking with anyone, it's still not "lifeless" as certain enemies will speak while they fight.

Trigger City is just good old cheesy, mature fun. It doesn't last too long (I found the length to be absolutely perfect for a mobile game) but without spoiling anything, it may not be over yet. ;) It doesn't deviate from the path it started out too much and it's not the deepest game in the world...but what it does, it does exceptionally well. Even with the little issues psj mentioned (such as enemies under your thumbs in some instances), it's hard to believe that one person, working on a game for 2 years in their spare time was able to put together such a ridiculously polished title. I haven't come across a single glitch, the game hasn't crashed at all and it legitimately feels like an older game running on the perfect emulator. This is the perfect $1 game. No rubbish in-app purchases, no bullturd...just one nice little game that you can sit and play from its dark and gloomy start to its bri--err...nevermind, no spoilers...end. :)

If you've been reading this little write-up thinking "Oh look, MC's gotten another promo code, so he's singing praises for this title while pooping rainbows", there is one thing. You see, I've been playing this on an iPad. The catch? It's an iPhone game. Yes, it's not universal and there isn't an iPad version. I've talked to the developer about this already and (I hope you don't mind me speaking for you :/) 95% of the development cycle was done before he got his hands on an iPad and the assets have been done by contracted artists. The good news is...it doesn't matter. Indirectly quoting myself, "Stick a border around the 2X iPad graphics, add resizable and moveable controls and call it a day". That's all it'll take to get this universal-ready, in my opinion. The graphics are perfectly fine in 2X and some of the text even looks retina quality on iPad. If you don't mind your hands getting a liiiiiiiiiittle uncomfortable over a long period of playtime, you shouldn't have a problem. I know some of you are like "UUUGGGHHHHHHHH!" at my "border" comment, but trust me...that's all it needs. I hope Slipshod tries out my suggestion, even if it's just a temporary solution. That ultimately depends on the game's success...so get ready to throw your dollars at Slipshod Games on the 13th guys. ;) Kudos to them (him)...they (he) should be very, very proud of this game.

16. #16 dariusjr98, May 9, 2013
    Last edited: May 9, 2013
    I expected a shooter coming into this thread, but based on the impressions, and the trailer, this sounds and looks a lot cooler than what unexpected! I'll definitely keep my eye on it.

17. Thank you psj3809 & metalcasket both for your write-ups! I love the feedback and have already implemented a number of tweaks for the first update. Also, the iPhone 5 optimization is almost finished and will with any luck be submitted to Apple this weekend, and hopefully be approved in time for launch. If not it will be available in the coming week for sure.

For everyone who wasn't able to obtain a promo code. I will be doing another give away on release day (Monday, 5/13), handing out gift codes throughout the day. I'll update this thread and the giveaway post with details closer to launch.

18. Game.PN

Game.PN Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2013
    Going to the prison called "School"
    Earth,Milky Way
    Who are the winners?

19. Winners are notified each day using the email they provided through the Splurgy app. There have been 2 winners so far, with 4 more drawings to go until Monday.

20. Game.PN

Game.PN Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2013
    Going to the prison called "School"
    Earth,Milky Way
    What email twitter or fb?