BIOSHOCK On iOS What do you expect from BIOSHOCK graphical performance?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by oldsnake, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Looking forward to playing it also the footage on the frontpage makes it look like some garbage.

Note:

It`s true that Bioshock was more or less if I don`t totally screwed up put together between 2004 ~ 2007 but when it launched it looked like no other Game at all on Windows and on PS3/Xbox 360 (Console from 2006/2005) and still does today look sometimes breathtaking.

Comparing to that the Game does look worse then some stuff we had seen in Modern Combat: Sandstorm and that was launched in 2009(!) by Gameloft, two years after Bioshock had launched (seven years ago) on an iPhone 3G.

2. 2close4missiles

2close4missiles Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2014
    Jared's Personal Beard Comber
    On Jared's Chin
    Omg! The textures better be next gen level on my first generation potato phone!

I'm just kidding. As long as the game has solid controls I think the game will be great. I'm super excited.

3. Handle

Handle Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2014
    UK
    Unbelievable that Bioshock will be playable on my mobile. This is up there with when GTA was released.

4. bluesunshine

bluesunshine Member

Aug 12, 2014
    I remember that. Had good times wasted on it. Bioshock is one of my favs. Cant wait!

5. ltcommander.data

ltcommander.data Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    As has been mentioned the 2GB file size limit is the compressed size for distribution on the App Store. The compression efficiency varies of course, but can be up to 50%, so the effective max initial app size on device of an app straight from the App Store is somewhere between 2.5-3 GB. After initial install an app can the download additional assets which can increase the file size and I haven't heard of a limit to this. I believe post-install asset downloads are hosted by the developers own servers rather than Apple's, which is probably why Apple prefers it this way.

I believe one big issue with increasing the App Store file size limit is that the install process needs enough room on device to temporarily host both the compressed and uncompressed version of the app. So with the current maximums you need 2 GB for the compressed app and 3 GB for the uncompressed app during installation which already puts them out of reach of most 8 GB devices unless they are basically empty. If they doubled the limits to 4 GB compressed, similar to a single-layer DVD, that would required an additional 6 GB for the uncompressed app and having 10 GB of free space to install will eliminate 8 GB devices and even be difficult even for most 16 GB device owners. Limiting the size of the initial app download and requiring the download of additional assets later mitigates some of these decompression/installation disk space issues although it's less user friendly than a simple one-off install.

Given these constraints it would be good if games started offering optional high-resolution texture packs, preferably free, that can be downloaded in-app post-install on future A8 devices. This way newer devices can get better graphics if they want them/have room and older devices that can't handle them anyways don't have to waste space with assets they aren't going to use anyways.

6. ip4weather

ip4weather Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Do you have any true info about game?

7. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Yep, except if you install an app through iTunes. Then you don't need room for the compressed file.

8. kaibosh

kaibosh Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    Kind of off on another tangent, but level 11 asset compression is the least of my worries about this port. What about the *controls*? On a PC with a mouse and keyboard the first fight with a Big Daddy was extremely difficult (by design), how much will they have had to dumb the game down to deal with possibly janky controls?

As far as file size goes, they have a lot of room to play with just on whittling down the number of unique textures alone, and if they snip and cut here and there in the audio assets they can make huge gains.