iPhone Ticket to Ride - (by the devs of 'Small World for iPad')

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, May 17, 2011.

1. Fieryseraph

Fieryseraph Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2011
    So the answer is pretty clearly "it depends on how far away from each other you are", then, right? Same room, using Bluetooth, yes. Farther away, trying to use Internet, then no.

2. enelya

enelya Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Thank you. I'm sorry I didn't make it clearer... I bought the Ticket to Ride (iPad) and the Ticked to Ride Pocket (iPhone) - I'm that addicted to the game that I have to have the gourgeous full graphics and the mobile version with me all the time.

I'm going to try via bluetooth then :)

3. SSquared

SSquared Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    I don't believe the iPhone and iPad versions can play together. But you can install the iPhone app on the iPad and then play together.

4. enelya

enelya Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I just tried it this afternoon and it is possible, both on Bluetooth connection, and also if both gadgets are in the same wi-fi network.

Thank you so much to everyone who helped :)

5. SSquared

SSquared Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    Wow! Cool. Thanks for letting us know. I didn't know that.

6. HockeyDoc

HockeyDoc Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Academic study; additional work as a writer, edito
    Just downloaded the Halloween update, but no changes in skins, achievements, or anything. Uninstall, reinstall...nothing. Delete and directly re-download...nothing. I'm not usually stumped by stupid stuff like this, but it seems like I'm missing something so obvious that I'll be facepalming all over the place when I see it. Thoughts?

7. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    It might be an issue with the appstore sending you the old version instead of the new build. Try using iTunes and once it downloads refresh the updates to see if it still shows that an update is available. If it doesn't reappear try syncing and see if it works

8. HockeyDoc

HockeyDoc Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Academic study; additional work as a writer, edito
    Thanks Vegan...I tried all that already, but nothing worked. The game's message centre showed the note about the Halloween update being available, and iTunes et al shows no further updates available for the app. That's why I deleted and directly downloaded it onto the iPad the second time, just in case there had been a problem when I originally downloaded the the update on the Mac, or an issue when I did the sync that would've installed the update. Region or time-specific maybe? It did say the new stuff would be limited-time, perhaps it was also limited-release. Ah well, I'll keep checking the app between now and Halloween. Thanks!

9. enelya

enelya Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I'm sorry that's happening to you. My version updated without problems, but since then I notice it lags occasionally.

Anyone has tips for the halloween achievement - the one to win while completing all the orange lines?

10. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Same thing for me. There is a note for the Halloween update, but nothing happens except there are 2 achievements added.
    I have finished the Pumpkin Master achievement, but I cannot catch any ghost for the other achievement because there are no ghost, no witch, and no Halloween wallpaper.
    What should I do?

I've done it against Huntingbot on a 2 players game. Try to block his route while completing the orange lines. He'll add some tickets and will fail on completing some of them. Still it's a difficult task and it takes me probably an hour of playing before I become the Pumpkin Master.

11. Rokrdude

Rokrdude Well-Known Member

May 14, 2011
    #311 Rokrdude, Oct 22, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
    I thought the problem was with ios 4 specifically for which they have released an update but seeing that you have an ipad 3 there may be some other problem as well

12. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Yeah, I run the game on iPad 3 with IOS 6 , so the problem must be with something else. Why do the note and the achievement appears while the Halloween theme doesn't?

13. enelya

enelya Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #313 enelya, Oct 22, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
    Thanks for the advice, I'll try it.

Edit to add: Anyone knows the difference between 1.4.1 and 1.4.2? It just appeared listed again in my updates list.

14. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Not clear to me either. I heard some say they didn't see the new menu skins of the update initially so maybe this is a quick fix for those people.

15. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    My Ticket to Ride version is 1.4.2 and it's definitely not a fix to show the Halloween skins.

16. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Finally I know what the problem is and I CAN see the Halloween theme.
    Apparently the Halloween theme is connected with Ticket to Ride Online, therefore to see the wallpaper and stuff we must have internet connection. Bizarre way to implement in the app, but I guess that's what they mean by limited temporary, once Halloween is over, the wallpaper is gone online.

17. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I bought this during the recent sale and I can't say enough good things about it. Typically I do not like board games, but this game is very fun and the app is fantastically implemented. Also, the online community is very busy.

Is Small World as good as this one? The thread seems less busy.

18. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    #318 Appletini, Dec 21, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
    Small World is very well implemented, and contains pretty much everything the board game does, with two of the three most commonly recommended expansions available as cheap IAP. The big reason you won't see much talk about the game is that it currently lacks any kind of network/online play; this won't be so much of an issue if you normally play versus AI or somebody in the same household, but will likely be a deal-breaker if you prefer playing online. SW is also limited to two players (the board game accommodates up to five), although on BGG the general consensus is that the game is at its most strategic with two players, so while this is another unfortunate limitation, it's not game-breaking.

I don't regret picking SW up at all - part of the reason I recently picked up an iPad was for this game, Forbidden Island and Ghost Stories. I also grabbed TTR along with the US 1910 and Legendary Asia boards during the recent sale to replace TTR Pocket, and love all the improved QoL aspects.

Oh, final note. While the last update to the iOS version was more than two years ago, a couple of months back the developers were asked about the status of the app, and they mentioned that they were hoping to get back and develop it further, so the above limitations may be addressed at some point, even if you don't pick up the game now.

19. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Thanks for the response, Appletini. I will definitely pick up Small World at some point. These Days of Wonder folks obviously know how to implement board games.

20. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    I've been playing video games over thirty years I have to say that Ticket to Ride is one of the most addictive games I've ever played. If you haven't bought it yet I highly recommend it!