Noob Developer - Which game engine?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by LigerZero00, Mar 23, 2014.

1. LigerZero00

LigerZero00 New Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Hey all, I am a aspiring programmer with experience in C based languages like Java, C++, C#, etc.. and now I have learned the essentials of objective-c in hopes to build a game. Along the way I researched some games engines like Cocos2d, Unity, and the new(er) SpriteKit. Cocos2s seems like the most popular one with the most support but Im not sure if it will fit my needs. I would like to make sort-of a first-person fighter game. It need to look something like this

[​IMG]

but the kicker is I want the the players to be able to strafe right and left just like they would in a a game like fight-night (pictured above). I am assuming that means I will need a 3D game engine like Unity but I was hoping you all could confirm or possibly point me in a better direction.

Thanks!

2. Option4Studios

Option4Studios Active Member

Jan 1, 2014
    Unity definitely sounds like your best bet and should be easy to pickup knowing C#. Plus there's ample books, videos and assets out there.

Another one is Marmalade if you want to program in C++, but you will have to reinvent the wheel more than Unity.

3. LigerZero00

LigerZero00 New Member

Mar 23, 2014
    MUCH APPRECIATION SIR!. So did i just learn objective C for no reason? lol

4. IndieApp

IndieApp Member

Jul 11, 2011
    London
    It's always handy to know the native language for any platform that you work with. Plus if you're working with Unity then you might want to do some native work to utilise some of the iOS SDK features like Game Center so it'd be useful in that situation too :).

5. nicolasgb

nicolasgb Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Co-founder at HereWeGames : http://www.facebook.co
    Paris, France
    Yes Unity sounds like the easiest choice. Objective C is still helpful to integrate various SDKs that may not always have Unity plug-ins, such as ads or analytics.

6. artcue

artcue Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Gamedeveloper, Co-Founder of Artcue
    Vienna, Austria
    Unity

Unity should be perfect for what you have in mind. You could use mixamo.com (they have tons of really cool fighting Animations) and the integration into Unity is easy enough.

7. VRPgames

VRPgames Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Ireland