Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Other > Lounge

Old 12-01-2013, 05:36 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Thanks a lot for the info, Gov and Muppet.
Interesting, wonder why Apple would do that? Cannot be to keep the Appstore from getting flooded with crap...
Old 12-02-2013, 04:04 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppetpuppet View Post

But look at the upcoming Iphone/ipod thread on the forum, its several factors bussier than the ipad thread.. So as long as the iphone is where the majority of players are, thats where the developers will aim for. And its easy to see why Ipad is lagging, the Ipad needs to compete with PCs and Consoles, the iphone does not compete with other platforms (read , all smart-phones),smartphones are their own catagory.
Just want to comment on this part of your otherwise excellent post, and point out what I believe is the reason for this.

It's not that iPad gamers aren't that active here, or that there's not that many iPad gamers.
It's the fact that Universal games is posted in the iPhone/iPod thread.
I almost never play on my iPhone, but I don't post much in the iPad thread, as the games there is very often also posted in the iPhone thread.

Once in a while a developer makes separate iPhone and iPad versions of their games, but mostly they're universal, and that's a good thing IMO.

There's the occasional exclusive iPad games, and if they're good, there's loads of posts in their threads. Look at Baldur's Gate, KOTOR and World of Goo back when that was iPad exclusive.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:25 AM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Yeah, this forum is biased by having universal games in the iphone section.

I bet you if the universal games were in the ipad section, then it would look like everyone played ipad games.

There is a huge amount of ipad players here, it just is that the ipad forum is neglected.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:51 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

I must admit most of my friends have an iphone but not an ipad. I've got an ipad but i use that mostly for reading/watching films and iCade games. Prefer gaming on my iphone
Old 12-02-2013, 12:44 PM

I don't have an iPhone.... But we have 5 iPads in the family. And we all game on them. The only game I play on a phone is bowling.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:40 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Deuce View Post
I don't have an iPhone.... But we have 5 iPads in the family.
Amen to that. Once I get my iPad5 in a week or two, we'll be at 3. Not bad for a 3-people family, where one of them is still a toddler
Personally, I started with iOS gaming on an iPod2. And I would never go back to the smaller screen. Actually, I'd prefer to get an even bigger iPad, half again or even twice the current size.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:04 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Ha agreed,
I have a Mini and a nexus 7 tablet, and both see more gaming than my iphone. I think as a developer you should assume if your game is good on the go, focus on iphone, if its for on the couch then focus on ipad..

But thanks for clearing up the universal/iphone thread issue , Makes more sense now.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
... ... ... I've got an ipad but i use that mostly for reading/watching films and iCade games. Prefer gaming on my iphone
I thought I was just about the only person that felt that way here.
I personally neglect the iPad gaming forum. If there were more ipad exclusive releases, I'd probably spend more time looking in there.

Edit: in regards to making "AAA" or "Premium" games on the AppStore. I know everyone likes to point to X-Com as a point of change. I think that the Chaos Rings series and other Square products made the point, that they can sell, a long time ago. X-Com and OceanHorn have continued in that vein. There have been a ton of other games that are in depth and have done well as well. A developer taking the freemium route and saying it's the only way to make money seems like a cheap way out to me. When you release freemium you might fail miserably, you might hit the AppStore lottery. It's still a crapshoot.
Obviously a lot of decent games fail. A lot of crap does, in my opinion, too well. I think there is a market for quality games.
At the end of the day, the problem starts with Apple. There review process consists, largely, of making sure there are no hidden pictures of dicks or tits in an app. What they really need is some form of quality assurance like everyone else has. Sony, Microsoft, Steam. They all guarantee at least some level quality. Apple will have to follow one day. Hopefully.
I'll point out that 73 Games were released to the AppStore in the last 24 hours. 3 of those, although not my styles of games, may not be complete garbage.

Last edited by Nobunaga; 12-07-2013 at 04:43 PM..
Old 12-06-2013, 12:52 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
But it bothers me when i hear people saying 'pah iphones, just angry birds isnt it ?' which is so wrong.

There are games with depth to them but in my view iOS fans can be a fickle bunch, i've heard lots of sad stories of studios working for months on a game and then get just 300 sales in the first month and they have to close down.

The larger well known retro games (KOTOR, GTA etc) do well as people know those games. But to create a brand new epic game must be quite a risk for a lot of companies out there so they dont bother. All that work and then when it comes out people wait for a price drop or for it to go free and the company dont make enough money to survive.
This is all very well said.

I believe there are two main factors holding iOS games back. Price and interface. Perhaps more specifically App Store economy and touch screen controls. With the capabilities of the lastest devices, it's hard to think it isn't possible. But I believe it comes down to the developer having the money and courage to release a game of depth, and being creative in implementing a solid, tight interface. There are games that exist right now with a ton of depth.

However I believe the state the App Store is in right now breeds f2p skinner boxes. You know, the games that have you press icons over and over, rewarding you with cookies here and there to let you know what a good job you've done pressing said icons. These cookies are sometimes disguised as leveling up or handing over a small amount of rare currency to lead you along. No skill or depth, but the mass market who don't normally play games love it! So that means these games are where the money is which breeds more and more of these games and less of the premium priced games.

If people who appreciates good game play on a PC or console would take the mobile platform more seriously, perhaps then we would have enough numbers/purchasing power to make premium games viable. Of course all of this is just my opinion and current observations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobunaga View Post
I thought I was just about the only person that felt that way here.
I personally neglect the iPad gaming forum. If there were more ipad exclusive releases, I'd probably spend more time looking in there.
I am officially hugely jealous! I don't have an iPad...yet, but there are so many games with a ton of depth exclusively on the iPad. I guess it depends on what your taste is but for me I wish to play Shadowrun Returns, Space Hulk, Drive on Moscow, Eclipse, Battle Academy, Small World, Baldur's Gate, and bunches of others. Aaaah yep. The day I get a lovely iPad will be a good day indeed!