What Chinese games have you played and favored most?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by plantstorm, Mar 30, 2011.

1. plantstorm

plantstorm Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2011
    game developer
    Hello, everyone in TA community!
    I'm from China, and glad to see you all here.
    I have played a number of games which are popular at present time, but seldom find Chinese one. So, I'd like to post a thread about this topic.:)

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I've played a couple of Mahjong games but I don't know if the developers were actually Chinese... probably not.

3. plantstorm

Mar 9, 2011
    game developer
    Really really excited to know that you like playing Mahjiong game, which is also one of my favorite games. You know, Mahjong is the traditional entertainment in China and still popular now, like poker in the west.

4. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Yeah I know :) I really used to like the Mr. Mahjong game but it's gone now :( Shanghai Mahjong is good too because it has lots of different levels.

5. alain91

alain91 Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    MahJong games are incredible, I don't know how to fix them and I believe I will never know.

6. plantstorm

Mar 9, 2011
    game developer
    Gone? Why?
    Not only Shanghai Mahjong, the famous one must be Chengdu Mahjiong because Chengdu (the capital city of Sichuan province in western China) is famous for playing Mahjiong, so people there are quite at leisure.

7. DusT_HounD

DusT_HounD Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    I have a question- are the majority of 'Mahjong' games on the app store actually playing using genuine mahjong rules, or are they those types which use mahjong tiles, but are just simple 'match two tiles to clear the board'? Because these would be two very different things.

There are plenty of app store games from Chinese studios, however you need to look at the names of the studios themselves, and find out who's in China and who's not. Again, there's the same breadth of quality as anywhere else.

8. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Unfortunately I'd say 99% of the "mahjong" games are the card-style tiles, not really real Chinese Mahjong. The real Chinese Mahjong is almost like Bridge for four players, except you play with Mahjong tiles other than cards, really addictive. I have no idea why no one actually uses the real mahjong in their games, I mean it's definitely more fun than matching tiles. Are they afraid westerners won't get how to play it or something? :confused:
    I have only found one app that uses the traditional Chinese mahjong, but it's in Chinese only.

9. plantstorm

Mar 9, 2011
    game developer
    Awesome reply! You just told us the point which I think Chinese game devs should learn. To some extent, they might be really afraid of that westerners won't get how to play it because the original or real Mahjong rule is quite complicated though very addictive. And if you play QQ on PC, you can find a bunch of Mahjong games with differen region styles in QQ game center, as well as Chinese poker games. Also, it would be better using both Chinese and English in those games.

10. cauliflower36

cauliflower36 Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2011
    How do you like Mahjong? It's weird. You know it's very traditional in China. why is it possible for a foreigner to be fond of that?

11. plantstorm

Mar 9, 2011
    game developer
    It's unfair to say that. If you were Chinese(I guess you are), I must tell you that it's honored to make foreigners enjoy Chinese games. Don't you agree?:rolleyes:

12. omgpixl

omgpixl Active Member

Mar 10, 2011
    It's hard to understand the Majong rules for Chinese people, how can those foreign players figure out the complicated rules. Or the iphone Majong players are just Chinese people themselves. But games are in English. :confused:

13. DusT_HounD

Jun 27, 2010
    Hmm, i'd say there are plenty of Chinese players who know the rules, who are willing to help foreign players learn.

If there was a good mahjong game in English on iOS, which had a rules tutorial etc., there would be no problem at all.

14. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    So you're basically admitting foreign people are slow at understanding card games? Lol.
    If Chinese people can master Bridge and international chess, then there's no reason why foreigners won't understand Mahjong. In my opinion Bridge is much more complicated.

15. plantstorm

Mar 9, 2011
    game developer
    I was so happy for you guys like Majiong games, cuz I have a lot of them.
    For my part, I would love those games based on Chinese classic story.

16. kzwen

kzwen Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #16 kzwen, Apr 2, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  17. omgireach4

omgireach4 Active Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Dentist
    Indonesia
    Good point! It is difficult ,I think! But the Chinese majong is really a remarkable thing for westerners!:rolleyes:Feel like no accurate access to get the authentic ones...:rolleyes:

18. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Well you say that, but you don't even understand Angry Birds.

...and no, knowing the rules does not necessarily mean you understand.

19. uru

uru Member

Mar 30, 2011
    lost ground
    i believe what plantstorm was referring to is "games from chinese dev".
    actually i found many of iOS games are from chinese devs, though i can't recall the titles. :(

20. DusT_HounD

Jun 27, 2010
    Yeah- i usually don't keep track of where the game devs are from- a good game is good, who cares where the dev is?

Also, so many studios these days like Gameloft, Ubisoft, EA et al. have Chinese teams, so in fact the lines are really blurred now.

That said, does anybody recall the title of that turn-based RPG, with original art, that was from a Chinese studio? I remember liking the look of it at the time, but can't for the life of me remember the name...

As a footnote, i myself am Chinese, but a strange thing i've noticed about some other Chinese people is this weird inferiority complex, where they feel the need to highlight cool stuff from home, and say that it's the best thing in the world; the very separation of 'us' from 'foreigners' smacks to me of a strange kind of patriotism-racism, which i sincerely hope that this thread is NOT about.