Hairy Tales - Hex-Based Puzzle / Action (Universal)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Arges, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Arges

Arges Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2011
    Game Developer
    #1 Arges, Apr 23, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
    Hello everyone!

I'm happy to finally post about Hairy Tales, a game we've been working on for quite a bit.

It is a peculiar puzzle game, combining tile-dragging mechanics with action. The Hairys are enthusiastic - so much, they won't watch where they're going. It's up to you to set the levels in such a way that they can reach the end while getting power ups, dealing with enemies and cleansing the ooze corrupting the land.

We're currently targeting mid-May for release, and it will be Universal on launch. I will include Retina support on the new iPad.

Here's a trailer:

And some screenshots from the iPhone version:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd love to read what you think. Keep in touch!

http://HairyTalesGame.com
    http://twitter.com/ArgesRic

2. seon

seon Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I've played versions of this during development and it is really well done. The animations are great and the puzzles are varied and complex and they definitely get you thinking, but the game doesn't make you feel stupid.

I can highly recommend this game :)

3. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    This looks really great; I'm thrilled about the iPad retina support, and the video has me excited. Looking forward to this! :)

4. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Instant Buy when it releases, looks very good

5. Arges

Arges Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2011
    Game Developer
    Thanks for the words everyone. We still have a few touches to add here and there - particularly the user interface - but the core game is almost done.

If you have any questions, fire away!

6. seon

seon Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Will you be supporting the SNES? I think it would be a great fit!

7. Thomas Lund

Thomas Lund Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    IT consultant and game developer
    Sweden
    Looks great and a different take at puzzle games than what 99% of the others do!

Anything hex will end up on my iPad :-D

/Thomas

8. saiyukialex

saiyukialex Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Shanghai, China
    The game looks interesting.

9. Pixelred

Pixelred New Member

Apr 30, 2012
    This looks really great!!!

10. Arges

Arges Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2011
    Game Developer
    Hi everyone,

Here are a couple more screenshots from the iOS version of the game.

A Hairy uses the magic stone Alatuir to cleanse the ooze from the level. You can see the closed gate and two corrupted trees on the background, on an area he hasn't reached yet:

[​IMG]

And about to fire a cabbage from the cannon to a Kikimora a couple hexes away:

[​IMG]

I'll have more screenshots soon. Cheers,

11. Arges

Arges Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2011
    Game Developer
    It's been a very productive week, and we're implementing a lot of small polish improvements that we got from some hands-on playtesters. I wanted to add one more screenshot before the weekend, of a Hairy who just ate a garlic and is about to go use his garlic breath on a kikimora:

[​IMG]

12. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    Looking better and better every new batch of screenshots, but I would like to see it in action... any release date planned?

13. Arges

Arges Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2011
    Game Developer
    Thanks TheFrost!

No fixed release date yet, but it's pretty much complete: all 72 levels are in, as well as the boss characters and all sound and visual effects. I'm just taking some time to do more hands-on playtesting, hovering over people shoulders and see if there's anything that needs improving on the user feedback side of things, so I may need to delay a couple of weeks from my initial plan.

About the gameplay, I do plan to do a few "tile showcase" videos, which will double as a more detailed look at the gameplay than the initial trailer. Please do let me know if there's any part of the trailer which you feel should be particularly expanded on, and I'll make sure to touch on it.

Cheers!

14. Dazzlemi

Dazzlemi Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Looks good cant wait!

15. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    Maybe explain the controls?

16. Arges

Arges Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2011
    Game Developer
    Will do. This is the perfect time to touch on that, given some of the visual feedback we just added. I'll have the first one early this coming week.

Cheers!

17. Arges

Arges Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2011
    Game Developer
    Gameplay video

Hi everyone!

Here's a video of Hairy Tales running on a new iPad:

It showcases the tutorials and a few of the tiles from the forest set, as well as the controls and behavior. It shows some of the initial stages, which you can set up and have them run, as well as a more complex one where you have to react on the fly and change the stage as the Hairy is running.

Enjoy!

18. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    That video makes me want this even more... Looks very promising, nice puzzle game lo look forward to, will buy it on day 1 :)

19. Arges

Arges Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2011
    Game Developer
    Hi TheFrost, thanks for the support! Great to read you enjoyed it and trust me, it gets even more hectic than that, with Kikimoras that chase you and more than one Hairy on the scene.

I'll post more soon, and will let you know as soon as we have a final release date.

Cheers!

20. Arges

Arges Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2011
    Game Developer
    Hairy Tales submitted for approval

Hi!

We decided to delay our initially planned release date a bit, to have more time to properly polish the game, but I'm happy to announce that today I submitted Hairy Tales to the iOS App Store for approval!

On top of polishing the gameplay, we've been adding highlights of some key scenes, like the appearance of Chur, the boss for the first world:

[​IMG]

I'll have a final release date as soon as we've gone through the review process.

Cheers!