Best iOS Gaming Device?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Exact-Psience, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #1 Exact-Psience, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
    I currently have an iPhone 4S and an iPad3, and im recently about to be getting an iPad Mini next week, mostly because i think it is the better "gaming device"

Am i making the right decision in buying the iPad Mini for gaming?

A bit of discussion is encouraged. Thanks for the inputs!

2. ??? If you like gaming on a smaller screen with no retina, then maybe. Since you have an ipad 3 and iphone 4s already, can't see any reason why an ipad mini would be better except for use in tilt games for racing cause it is lighter.

Would recommend to buy an ipad 5 or 6, or wait for the ipad mini 2 with retina screen and a6x processor. But if you want an ipad mini for portability, weight, of size, go get one. But for gaming? I can't see why a smaller screen and non retina screen would help.

3. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    I hear the mini is fun to use, and I haven't used one myself, but honestly if we're talking strictly gaming, specs matter a ton and the A5 isn't getting any newer...

If you must get a mini, wait for the 2nd gen one!! Probably an A5X based off of the 32nm technology, maybe A6. Probably a retina screen. That's worth waiting for IMO.

4. ip4weather

ip4weather Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2012
    you are wrong if you buy ipad mini for gaming,its good for now but A5 will not suuport good games in 1-2 years,better wait few months and buy new ipad or new ipad mini with retina...

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I wouldn't go back to a non-retina device anymore. Not only that, but I don't think the iPad Mini has a very good screen at all, even compared to other non-retina screens.

It's down to taste though. Size doesn't bother me at all in terms of portability, a few inches here and there means nothing. It's all about the size of the play area, and in most cases, bigger is better. Games are so good-looking and easy to navigate with the new iPads, I couldn't imagine sacrificing screen estate just to carry a slightly smaller device that still doesn't fit in most pockets anyway.

I suppose the best argument is cost. Personally, I think the most popular reason for buying an iPad Mini is due to the cost, and I think a lot of people know they're settling for second best when they buy it.

6. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    But the Nexus 7 is cheaper for more storage, RAM, ect...

That's probably the main reason I'm not fond of the mini. Overpriced like crazy. Like a lot of Apple products :p

7. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I think the iPhone 4S is the perfect iThing as far as games/apps go.

It's more powerful than the 4 and has the awesome Retina resolution. It's not as powerful as the 5, but it will play all the games not updated for the larger screen without a hitch and feel better while doing it.

The iPad 4 is an amazing piece of tech that I love and play games on exclusively, but I can't drop it in my pocket when I'm going out somewhere. I can't whip it out and play with it any time I wanted.

The mini... I don't really have an opinion on it. I think it has its own niche, but that screen... the funny thing is, on its own the screen is perfectly fine. But considering we have 4 retina devices in the house, looking at text on the mini afterwards is fuzziness galore. As far as gaming is concerned, it's as good as the iPad 2 which as far as I can tell is still supported by pretty much everything and probably will be for a long time to come, so nothing wrong with that.

8. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Mini's superb. Big enough screen to be able to play CCG's games like King's of Dragon Pass; small and lite enough, with it's thin bezel, to be able to hold with one hand. it's easier to play games with virtual joysticks or similar controls with a mini than a Biggie, IMO, because your thumbs can reach farther into the screen. Tilt controlled games are more playable as well, though that method is still best used on an iPhone/iPod touch.

Sucks a new one will be coming out so soon, but I'm guessing my mini will hold enough value for to defray a good portion of the cost of the next one. I'll be sure to not be so dumb as I was in the past, when I help onto my 3GS after the iPhone 5 was released. And I still have it. In the spring of last year I still could have gotten a decent price for it. Well, that's what laziness gets ya.

9. Alfalfa

Alfalfa Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2013
    iPhone 5 hands down. the A6 chip is an absolute juggernaut.

But imo, it depends on the game you're playing. If I'm playing a game like punch quest or mage gauntlet, i'd prefer the iPhone, but for games like battleheart and FPS's, definitely iPads.

10. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I always use my index/middle fingers for iPad games with virtual controls, granted it means putting the iPad down, but I find that to be the most comfortable way of using the device anyway. Either that or I sit on the couch with my knees up and lean it against my legs at an angle. I find thumb movement rather restricted compared to the freedom you get being able to throw your fingers freely across the screen at will, in fact I used index fingers on my iPod Touch a lot of the time too. Definitely agree on the tilt part though, I hate using the iPad's accelerometer, but luckily I rarely need to.

11. BrushMyNoseOff

BrushMyNoseOff Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Coach / Photographer
    NYC
    Best case scenario is to have an iPhone 5 and iPad 4. This way you have best of both worlds when you need portability vs. more screen real estate. If I could have only one, probably iPhone 5. Portable on the go, and stick to a console at home.

12. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I don't understand why so many people use an iPad with just an ordinary case for protection and hold it in their hands to play games, read, surf the web etc., when there's cases with in-build stand on the market like this one:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've used this case and similar cases since I got my first iPad first generation way back, and still use one now for my iPad 3.

I sit with it on my lap in the bus, on a couch, in bed - anywhere, and I only ever occasionally need to support it with a finger or two.

That way there's no issues with weight or awkward controls as can be the case in some games when you're holding the iPad with both hands.

I've looked at the iPad mini, but it's too small for my uses, I play games, read books, read comics, write on it, makes music on it and surf the web, and the smaller screen just don't cut it for me when reading comics and writing when having the keyboard up covers too much screen real estate on the small iPad mini.

Granted, you can't easily drop the iPad in a pocket, but I've always carried a bag anyway, before the iPad I always carried a book in a bag, now all my books are in the cloud, always readily accessible from my iPad, which is a godsend when you have a long commute to work like I do.

I can't fathom why people would choose the iPad mini, even if its a bit cheaper - you get so much more power and screen for a bit more.
    Some games also have small fonts, which I sometimes struggle a bit with on the iPad, and on the mini it would be unbearable for me. (I'm looking at you Baldurs Gate:EE)...:)

Of course, if you have a limited budget and/or refuse to carry a light shoulder bag, the iPad mini might be the right choice for you.

13. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Yeah, I'd go with this. Unfortunately for me I'm down a bit as I have an iPhone 4, iPod Touch 4 and iPad 3 so none of them are exactly at the top of their game, but I don't have any notable performance problems with current games so I'm in no rush to upgrade just yet. The end of the year may be a different story.

14. Yeah, I agree with you, I hate cases. I use tripods, two of them are shown in this picture along with a sleeve when I put it into my backpack in the laptop compartment.

Attached Files:

15. Multiboy2k

Multiboy2k Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Watcher
    Could change at a moment's notice
    The Mini is just plain awesome for gaming.

I actually own an Ipad Mini and I absolutely LOVE it! ;)
    I also have the Ipad 4 which I primarily use for business. I use my Mini almost exclusively for gaming and it has made my Vita look almost like old tech.

The thing about the Mini is that it is much lighter and easier to hold when playing games. And, the difference is striking when compared to the larger ipad.
    The only gripe, which is a non-gripe for me, would be the absence of the retina screen. But, in truth when I did side by side comparison with my ipad 4 using the game, Infinity Blade 2, the difference was very small.

The mini is just plain more fun to play when it comes to games.
    Even the more hardcore games like Modern Combat 4 and Shadowgun, I find myself turning to the mini every time. And, the battery life is ridiculously good. I average between 12-15 hours with the brightness at 75% and headphones.

If you are on the fence, get down from there and pick one up.
    I have had no regrets yet.

16. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Well, mine is a case, but it have an build-in stand.
    The one you're using would be a lot harder to use in the bus for instance, or just sitting comfortable with the iPad on your lap... :)

17. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Ok... thanks for the great inputs guys. So far, as I piece your posts out, the thing holding the iPad mini back is the lack of retina screen. My brother in law has an ipad2, and it does look a little bit blurry since my eyes are well trained on looking at hi-res in between my 4S and iPad3.

My question is... Since the ipad mini is essentially an ipad2 scaled down, and in effect increase the DPI, how GOOD is it then compared to the ipad2?

I really like the size and weight of the ipad mini on my hands when i tested it in the local istore yesterday, but i dont want to buy something i might regret later on if the lack of retina res becomes a bother.

Also, do we have an estimate when an ipad mini 2 would be available? Rumors maybe?

18. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

There are rumors of an ipad event in march that would showcase both the Ipad mini 2 and a new ipad 5. I'd wait at least until then to see if it's true. Otherwise it would be logical to see it unveiled at the end of the year.

19. The mini looks better than an ipad 2, but its not a huge difference. The mini for games looks ok, but its text and web that I find hard with it. So better, but not anything close to your new ipad though.

You can read the ipad 4/mini thread in the ipad gaming forum for info on release of the ipad mini 2, but it's basically up in the air.

20. I thought you were using apple's smart cover until I took a closer look at it now. I don't like cases cause they get in the way many times when one is gaming like in tilt games.

For the bus and lap, I would actually recommend an ipad mini. In a bus setting, the new ipads are way to heavy. Especially if you are standing up. Even sitting down, an ipad mini is easier to use cause of wait. I usually put my ipad on my sleeve as a cushion when I put it on my lap or when sleeping, put my sleeve on my chest and put my ipad on top of it until I fall asleep.

But weight wise, the mini is great for gaming on the go like on the bus or train. In those settings, I don't like to use my ipad cause of the weight and just use my iphone only. An ipad mini probably would be perfect in those conditions.