Does hype sway YOUR judgement?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Justinth, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Justinth

Justinth Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Does hype make you want to purchase it more? Does hype annoy you and think it does not deserve to be bought, even if it were the same game without the hype? What do you think about it?

I think that hype makes me want to buy the game :\

2. AaronAMV

AaronAMV Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    WHO KNOWS
    not in the slightest; i don't give into peer pressure

3. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    I don't buy nearly as many games as I once did, I don't really care for the hype either. I don't have minigore or any of those gameloft games people were crazy about, I don't know anything about gangstar...

4. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Nope, not at all.
    I recognise that there are games that I like and games that other people like.

5. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    +1 I buy games that don't even have threads on TA and I don't buy games like Zenonia, Worms, Resident Evil, and Doom that can be played better on consoles.

6. AttackOfThePwned

AttackOfThePwned Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Photographer
    San Francisco, CA
    Not in the least. I will immediately pick up something that looks very interesting to me. For those that I am on the fence about, I do a lot of research and check out youtube reviews.

Cost sways me a little too. Unfortunately Gameloft will never get me to bite on an initial price for their games. They drop their prices far to often and soon for me to ever consider putting down $5+ for their offerings.

7. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Not in the least....

Unless it comes from Big Albie...:D

8. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    It doesn't if it is a game in a genre I'm not into. And I don't care if a reputable reviewer gives it a 5/5.

It's much easy to get me excited about RPGs though. :)

9. McGill

McGill Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Everyone says "not in the least", and that's a pile of bull poop...

Sure, i'll buy something that's all hyped up, just for the simple reason that i want to SEE what all the hype is about.

I never would have bought Peggle, but it was so hyped up, i gave it a try, and now it is one of my favorite games.

Sure, it backfired on me a couple times, but hey...live & learn.

10. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    You can't SEE what the hype is about from a video of the gameplay? So there is no genre of games you won't buy?

11. randomdude

randomdude Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Hype sway my judgment but it back fired me on Real Racing becuase I find that game very unfun. The hyped games I bought and never regreted was NFS, Asphalt 4, Fastlane, Hero of Sparta, Assassin Creed, and Cro-Mag Rally.

12. Bluellama1

Bluellama1 Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Student
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    You should buy MiniGore, everyone says it is the greatest game ever! I do buy some hyped up games, just MiniGore and Spore. I hate spore but MiniGore is actually pretty good.

13. mek

mek Well-Known Member

hype now makes me back away, and wait till the product is released

got burned getting caught up in the hype too early, and creating more hype in my head, which leads to dissappointment

although half the fun is the antcipation,

i no longer pay attention to any hype, until the game has been out for a week or so

14. mek

mek Well-Known Member

i have idracula, so what is different with minigore to make me want to play it, if i dont really play idracula

15. Bluellama1

Bluellama1 Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Student
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    Dude, it is just a funny comment, I wasn't trying to make a point. Plus, I really like the boxhead series of flash games, which is kind of like MiniGore.

16. STP_Tim

STP_Tim Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2009
    It definitely doesn't change my opinion of a game (just look at my Worms review). However, there are some games I may have never checked out had it not been for hype.

17. Pug4Death

Pug4Death Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    #17 Pug4Death, Aug 2, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
    Nope; just look at Minigore. I wasn't excited about it. It's just a very dumbed down version of iDracula. Same with LiveFire and Gangstar; two other games I'm not interested in. 'Gangstar' looks like garbage to be serious. (The name as well.)

18. 5jusername

5jusername Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    School...
    Somewhere In The Universe
    nope. not at all. i DO have minigore, but that was my own choice, not because of all the hype.

19. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    Hype sways me when I'm buying a game, and if it looks cool, then I'll buy it. My final judgement is not influenced by hype at all though because that's when I've played the game over and over.

20. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    hype doesn't sway me...most of the games that people have been hyped up about hold no interest for me, for those games I like that are hyped...I'm just happy a lot of people will also hopefully get into the same game and encourage the dev to keep adding to it