Upcoming App: Axis3D - camera tracking app for iPhone (compatible w/ 3DS Max, Maya...

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by lunarbase, Mar 28, 2011.

1. lunarbase

lunarbase Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Axis3D is a camera rotation/acceleration tracking for iPhone 4.
    Shoot 720p (or VGA) videos and capture 3-axis camera rotation and acceleration with your iPhone.

Axis3D® is simply a great tool to create camera tracking backdrops for your favorite 3D or 2D application. As you shoot your videos, Axis3D records the camera rotation and acceleration movements and store all data on industry level compatible files. You can then import everything on your favorite 3D or 2D animation software like Maya, 3DS Max, LightWave, SoftImage, Blender, Cinema4D, After Effects or any 3D or 2D app that can read Collada 1.4 files with camera geometry and create professional amazing animations.

You can use Axis3D to simulate real life situations like walking, earthquakes, camera or ground trepidation, bike or vehicles accelerations and use this to animate your 3D models or other objects making them behave like the real deal.

Files created by Axis3D are compatible with industry level animation software like Audodek Maya® 2011, Audodek 3DS Max® 11, Audodek Softimage 2011, Newtek Lightwave 9.6+, Blender 2.4x, Maxon Cinema 4D® v.11, Adobe After Effects® CS5 and any other application that can read Collada files with camera geometry or Maya ASCII files.*

I will drop a note here on this forum when it is available. You can also send your email to i-p-h-o-n-e---at---a-d-d-f-o-n-e.com (remove the -), if you want want to receive the announcement on your email.

I hope you guys enjoy this app.

2. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    add mocap and I'm sold.

3. lunarbase

Jan 2, 2010
    This is what the app does, except for the fact that the iPhone has no means to measure translations of the camera that are small to the GPS resolution (that I estimate to be of 10 meters more or less). In other words: if you rely on GPS to detect how much the camera moved and the camera moved below the GPS resolution, you will detect no movement at all.

Despite that, Axis3D can detect any rotation of the camera with an incredible resolution as well as trepidation/acceleration. You have to see it in action.

4. gammabeam

gammabeam Well-Known Member

I'm curious about this one...
    Of course, not having translations is a bummer - that's beyond your experience, I'm not blaming you - but it should be useful for 3d animators out there...

Can you show us screenshots? Maybe a simulation?
    When do you expect to release these?

5. therhino

therhino Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Georgia
    So basically this could be used for mocap? If so then that's friggen awesome.

6. lunarbase

Jan 2, 2010
    Yes, this is what the app does, that is, it tracks all camera rotations and accelerations/trepidations in 3 axis and export everything to files that can be read on the major 3D, 2D and visual effects apps, as I said, like Maya, 3DS Max, Blender, SoftImage, LightWave, After Effects, Cinema4D and according to a reddit user who tested it, in Nuke too (after exporting the file to FBX2010). :D

7. lunarbase

Jan 2, 2010
    #7 lunarbase, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
    Axis3D will be released soon :D

Here you have a screenshot
    [​IMG]

This is the first image that shows when you run Axis3D.

The Axis3D works is very simple:

1) you shoot the video (press button 6 to start)
    2) you stop shooting (press button 6 again)
    3) Axis3D exports the video and the data to Collada 1.4 and Maya ASCII files.
    4) you open iTunes and from inside iTunes app sharing folder you drag the zip file containing the video and data files to your desktop.
    5) You unzip and use them on your 2D, 3D or visual effects desktop app.
    6) you win.

8. therhino

therhino Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Georgia
    So it is an April fools joke :p

9. lunarbase

Jan 2, 2010
    not really! :D