Universal Zombie Gunship - (by Limbic Software)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Jul 20, 2011.

1. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    it's that good!

anyhow, i'm playing it more and more and I feel like there should be a reward for sniping zombies (saving a civilian during an attack) - more money maybe? because after getting better and better at the game, there seems to be no reason to save those getting attacked because it slows you down and if you miss you "lose a life". it seems way more advantageous to let them die sadly.. even at times i wait for them to get killed so I can shoot my big guns lol

2. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Ha! You don't say! I snipe every zombie attacking a civilian and succeeding in doing so (9 out of 10 times now) grants me great satisfaction from saving a defenseless civi who... ... ... (2 out of the same 10 times) gets ripped to shreds by a SECOND shot (uncontrolled of course) from my maxed fire rate gatling :mad:

Anyway, here are a few of those WTF!?!?!? moments when you have a line/mob of zombies and some civis mixed in the crowd. Big guns are too powerful (maxed blast radius...) and gatling is too slow for the job:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. violatizzle

violatizzle Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    I just maxed out everything... hopefully there are more updates from the devs to keep things fresh and make me play it more.

4. sampdx

sampdx Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2011
    Fun game! :)

I do wish the amount of civilian casualties was more than 3 though. Please consider adding an easier mode where the amount is increased.

That's a good idea too.

5. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    i feel ya man! but i think it makes it fun cuz it's challenging and you cant take the easy way out.

i think i could 1 up you on that screen shot next time i play. it gets even more annoying when they're all IN FRONT OF THE BUNKER and there's big zombies and little zombies and 3 white blobs in between. I usually know I'm going to lose so I go "whatevs" and blast them some love from my 105MM. I might as well take them all down with me :)

6. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    ALL CAPS ALERT!!! - reflects rage in the poster

"You're doing more harm than good" - 600 ZOMBIES KILLED VERSUS 3 CIVILIAN CASUALTIES IN WHICH 2 CIVI DEATHS RESULTED FROM COLLATERAL DAMAGE WITH HIGH EXPLOSIVE ROUNDS KILLING 10+ ZOMBIES IN THE BLAST AREA AND 1 DEATH FROM A FAILED ZOMBIE SNIPE EVENT!????

I gave that 1 civilian a instant, (relatively) painless and merciful death from my high-velocity 25mm gatling and you call that MORE HARMING BEING DONE??? Most if not all war-related novels/articles I've read promote killing those who are suffering from pain, such as the civilian in this case who is constantly being (physically) harassed by a zombie.

Just another call to abolish or implement a more lenient civilian kill penalty :D

7. CNWLshadow

CNWLshadow Active Member

Apr 24, 2011
    #87 CNWLshadow, Jul 23, 2011
    Last edited: May 20, 2017
    message removed

8. Maniacfive

Maniacfive Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Phone Sales
    Kent, UK
    As I've played more and more, (top score still quite low though, in the 600's) I've grown to like the civilians, and the challenge they represent, but it would be nice if as others have suggested, after x many zombie kills, a civilian kill was knocked off. Still a challenge, and the extra thrill of, "cmon cmon... 50 more kills and an extra life...."

I would still like a kill frenzy mode with no civilians, perhaps along the lines of a timed mode, 3 minutes to kill as many zombies as you can, with extra seconds added if you manage to kill more than 15 with one shot or something.

And, I am also in the camp of keeping the weapons in the AC-130 realistic to those in the actual AC-130, the realism is what makes it stand out from other zombie games. I'd love to be able to call in strafing napalm runs from A10's or something though. That sorta thing definitely gets my vote.

Anyway, great game. really enjoying it. Looking forward to achievements.

9. Riggy

Riggy Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Another solution to the civilian game ending issue would be to have civilian casulties subtract from money earned instead of being a game ender. Get three "freebie" kills, then they start deducting 500 gold (or whatever appropriate amount) per kill. That way, game continues, yet you still want to avoid killing civilians.

I do wish there was a better "sniper" weapon to help kill zombies when attacking civilians though. It's a very satisfying feeling when you rescue one under attack. :)

10. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

I've got some ideas for some new levels and additions:

Levels:

The city:
    - you can destroy buildings so that you can shoot at zombies behind the buildings
    - destroying buildings will however result in a bit less cash at the end of the mission.
    - Trams that take civilians to the bunker/closer to the bunker => Don't destroy them. (zombies can't attack the people in the trams though.)

The Field:
    - it is harder to see the zombies and civilians when they are in the field. (there are paths going through it too though.)

The Zoo:
    - Cages that when destroyed let some animal zombies loose.
    - Destroying the aquarium floods a part of the map for a short time and kills everything that the water hits.

I know some of these ideas are unlikely to happen (espechially the zoo level!), but I think some interactivity with the levels would make the game alot more fun.

Aditions:

- Somethign I have seen in other games where you are the gunner of an AC 130: Clouds.

11. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    dammit, my best is only 266 so far. :mad: Those big tank zombies are tough to kill. But I'm getting better at moving around quickly. you have to take advantage of those choke points to take out big groups of hideous undead but the darn civilians get in the way sometimes.

this game is fun!

12. violatizzle

violatizzle Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    Those big tank zombies are best taken out with your gatling gun. Make sure you max out the stats of the gatling gun so you can take advantage of its rate of fire and faster cool-down.

13. Zevious Zoquis

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    hmm, interesting. I've been trying to unload on them with the big guns. I'll try making use of the gattling gun...

14. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    yup the gattling takes them out the fastest. the only thing is that on later waves you have to be careful because when you're zoomed in on gattling, other zombies are trying to rush your base. once there's too many zombies, gattling becomes almost useless because you're better off with crowd clearing weapons (minus protecting civies).

15. ak47killa

ak47killa Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2011
    My best so far is 927 and I don't know how I did it. Usually I get around 400.

16. dudemanbrochill

May 22, 2011
    I think it'd be sweet if the developers added some sort of support system--for example, it could be a purchaseable item where if you're in trouble you can call in a Stryker apc or abrams tank or chopper or something to have them help you take out zombies. It would only be activated for like 30 seconds but it would help spice up gameplay and help us kill even more zombies!!! awesome game

17. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    I was just thinking about this last night... Hope it wouldn't disadvantage the player though.
    Destructible levels sound cool, but loss of income is a big minus for me... and everyone with maxed 105mm's...

Second this! (along with many others...) Though the AI might cause "More harm than good"... If you know what I mean :D

18. dudemanbrochill

May 22, 2011
    #98 dudemanbrochill, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
    Another idea just popped into my head that would make this game absolutely incredible---

Okay, so you could make a gamcenter/multiplayer mode (2players). One player is in the skies commanding the AC130 weaponry as usual, and the other player is on the ground driving an armed land vehicle. Vehicles could progress/be upgraded, so you start out with a dune buggy, then upgrade to a humvee, then a stryker, then a tank, even a chopper would be cool. The added element of the player on the ground would force the AC130 gunner to be more careful while raining down bullets from the skies!

developers, any thoughts on this?

19. Zevious Zoquis

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    ah yes, the gattling gun handles the big guys nicely. Got 402 just now... :)

20. Saucepolicy

Saucepolicy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2009
    Crispy ex-game developer
    #100 Saucepolicy, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
    I've been finding the game addictive as well, though it helps that my friend and I are constantly leapfrogging each other for a high score. You did a good job of putting that front and center in the user experience, as well as the little pop-up when you surpass a friend's score. That certainly adds to the compulsion.

I partially agree with the desire for a more accurate vulcan. That is, if you burst-fire, I feel it should be slightly more accurate than it currently is. I don't have any problem with sustained fire causing a wider dispersal. Honestly, I end up using this gun for picking off zombies attacking humans, so my motives for the change are pretty transparent. :)

If you're resistant to adjusting human AI, perhaps simply making it so that a human that is actively being attacked (and has taken damage) from a zombie no longer counts against the civilian kill score. Think of it this way-- you're doing them a favor, and they'd just infect the bunker anyway. In that way they basically become the meat cannon that people have been suggesting, but I think you'd need to add some risk/reward to really make it work. For example, a significant bonus for sniping the attacking zombie without killing the human in addition to achievement possibilities (one for saving humans and one for putting infected ones out of their misery) if you implement them. :-D

I have a couple of minor cosmetic suggestions--

1. I'd love the ability to put the fire button on the right. Considering that's a standard artifact of physical controllers, I was actually surprised that you opted for the left by default. I'm guessing the assumption is that right-handed people would want to use their dominant hand to aim.

2. The ability to turn off the voice chatter or adjust the volume of FX and voice seprately. Don't get me wrong, it's cool, but the mix is a little high for my tastes.

Finally, I'm finding that the frame rate generally goes to hell and never recovers (on my iPhone4) after an incoming system alert/ text message, or when suspending the game and coming back.