TA Forum's Pick for 2012 Game of the Year! *** LAST CHANCE TO VOTE ***

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by crex, Nov 19, 2012.

?

Vote for 2012 Game of the Year? (Devs dont vote for own game please)

Poll closed Jan 10, 2013.
  1. 10000000

6.0%
  2. Bastion

15.0%
  3. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

2.2%
  4. Modern Combat 4: Zero Hour

12.7%
  5. Punch Quest

11.2%
  6. Ravensword: Shadowlands

13.9%
  7. Rayman Jungle Run

5.6%
  8. Swordigo

9.4%
  9. Waking Mars

3.7%
  10. Walking Dead: The Game

13.5%
  1. What, Dead Trigger didn't make the cut??? Haha, just kidding...

Wow, I must have bad taste, only one of my nominations made it, so I will go with that. Bastion!

2. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Wow, that was some tough work. I'm exhausted. I'm going to sleep now. See you all in the morning! :)

3. Good job bud!

4. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Initially looked at the list and said "Oh man...how am I gonna pick one of these?"...and then I saw it at the very bottom. All too easy. Nothing I've played this year has gripped me and taken me on an emotional rollercoaster like The Walking Dead has. Even though I have it on PC, the iOS version was my "go to" version and every MB of the 2.3 GB it takes up will always have a spot on any device I get.

5. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #345 backtothis, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
    Pretty awesome poll. Not a single game on there that I didn't enjoy, although I've only spent 5-10 minutes on half of them. I'm guessing The Room just barely missed the cutoff. Going to vote near the end so I have more time to play some of these.

Oh, and good job on organizing this crex.

6. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Rayman Jungle Run or Punch Quest, pretty hard decision here. Already voted for Waking Mars on the summer poll... Have to play The Walking Dead seriously and check some games I don't have on that poll... and last buy not least, Bastion looks awesome but doesn't run on my iPhone 4.

7. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #347 awp69, Jan 3, 2013
    Hard choice. Surprised Polara didn't make the cut. Still love Blood Roofs too . But there's great games up there.

Probably between Punch Quest and Rayman for me. I played Bastion and The Walking Dead, but not on the iOS.

8. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    wow. nice seeing what games made it to the final vote. Bastion got my vote... Definitely curious to see what game will win, knowing that a lot of people have favorites that were not nominated by enough people to make the cut... it almost seems like the results might just be what people 'settled' for in regards to their picks.

9. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Love seeing having two great runner game on the final poll, but like Awp69, I was hoping Polara and Blood Roofs would make the cut too.

Overall, i love what we have on the top ten here. Each game listed in the final poll has it's own charm and is a fantastic addition to anyone's idevice.

Im surprised 10000000 made it to the top ten, coz even with its content, it didnt have that much meat for me compared to other top games. Dont get me wrong though, i love this game too.

10. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Yeah, like Awp and EP I was hoping Polara and Blood Roofs would have made it. Polara's one of the most unique runners I've played.

But alas, they didn't... So my vote goes to...

Swordigo!!!

It's one of the few platformers that's really held me and kept me playing right to the end. Loved every bit of it!

11. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    What is the timeframe for voting? I need to squeeze in more play time with Walking Dead and Bastion.

Thanks to Crex for his hard work organizing this year.

12. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Two of my picks made the top 10, but there's only one obvious game from that list for me.

Swordigo.

13. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Went with Rayman Jungle Run as I really did have a blast playing through it. The level design was excellent and graphics/animation are some of the most fluid on the iOS.

My personal GoTY probably would have been Blood Roofs, which just absorbed me into its atmosphere and was entirely unique. Polara would have been a very close second. (Wow, guess I really did become a runner fanboy this year).

14. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Yup, probably would've been a tough choice between those two for me, too. I love Polara because of all the objectives in each level, and I'm such a completionist, that I loved it. :D

15. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Lucky me should get the iphone 5 tomorrow and finally will
    be able to play the highly praised Bastion over the weekend.
    Then i'm able to vote either this or...Swordigo.

@awp69
    Same here with Blood Roofs, though i had Dream of Pixel
    very short in front. (old old Tetris fan)

16. 2133

2133 Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Student
    Indonesia
    Well, I am a huge fan of MC4. Guess what I picked. :)

Another game would be letterpress

17. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

1. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
    2. Ravensword: Shadowlands
    3. Bastion
    4. Rayman Jungle Run
    5. Waking Mars

Since Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective isn`t in the List I did vote for Ravensword: Shadowlands.

18. Shadowking2214

Shadowking2214 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2012
    None
    I'm surprised the walking dead doesn't have more votes

19. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    In case you guys were wondering, the games that just missed the cutoff were NFS: MW by 1 vote, TWEWY by 3 votes, and Mikey Shorts and The Room both by 4 votes.

Poll ends in 1 week. And thanks. :)

20. Psac42

Psac42 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    #360 Psac42, Jan 3, 2013
    Yes, thanks for the hard work crex!

I'm "glad" to see Waking Mars in the bottom half of the poll. Way overrated game in my opinion. Top ten makes sense, GOTY does not.

I think 10000000 makes the list partially because of the backstory of the one man band developing this in his off-hours and making such a fun game and having the surprise success it did. And for anyone who has read the TA forum for the game, the developer comes off as a truely nice guy. But on top of that, it is a really fun game. Also not GOTY to me, but well deserving of top ten for sure.

For me, out of this list, I had to go with Swordigo. No other game made me want to throw my iPhone at the wall multiple times out of total frustration, only to feel real accomplishment after beating whatever was pi--ing me off so much. That sounds bad, but it's a lot of fun. It's a game that I have no problems using the word "great" on.

I've only gotten a few hours into Bastion, so I can't really compare yet, but I can see the promise in what I've tried so far. Working now through TWEWY though. Sad that didn't make the list. Price point probably worked against it.