I keep playing games and stopping... Anyone else like this?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by spader623, May 29, 2014.

1. spader623

spader623 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2014
    I'll get a new game, or boardgame, and at first, awesome... But after a day or two I basically stop playing forever. The problem isn't that the games suck. They're some great games and I enjoy them... But I just get annoyed or something. It's just so easy to move onto the next one. On a slightly side note, with battle heart legacy, I'd LOVE to get it.... But I'm afraid I'll just get bored again. Any advice or anyone else also feel this way?

2. LexiusCross

LexiusCross Active Member

Apr 21, 2014
    yeah i'm exactly like you, trying all game, deleting all those that i don't like, keeping the ones i like, then i delete even if i like them and reinstall them some months after

unfortunately, it will be the same with battleheart legacy
    i got it already finished it and i'll probably not play it in a week

two advices that should help you: -take your time. maybe you don't play these games because you finish them too fast

-buy a mmorpg, like order and chaos, heroes of order and chaos, arcane legends, avabel online, solstice arena, imo the world of magic (mmo for iPad/iphone)

i personally bought guild wars 2 on mac and can't stop playing it even if i am on the same case as you are

3. spader623

Jan 18, 2014
    But I never even finish them. I play say, cut the rope 2, or the original bbattleheart and get partway through then just stop. And MMO's are a no for me. They require way too much time and I wanna play more games, not just one game. Money is a issue, but only if I don't beat the game.

4. LexiusCross

Apr 21, 2014
    I finished BH Legacy in 8 hours so you won't be able to not finish it

You should try Heroes of Order and Chaos, MMO yes, but a game lasts 10-25 minutes only, so you're not obliged to spend a lot of time.
    It's according to me the game that fits the most the type of player you have.

5. LexiusCross

Apr 21, 2014
    I finished BH Legacy in 8 hours so you won't be able to not finish it

You should try Heroes of Order and Chaos, MMO yes, but a game lasts 10-25 minutes only, so you're not obliged to spend a lot of time.
    It's according to me the game that fits the most the type of player you are

6. LexiusCross

Apr 21, 2014
    Sorry for double post, tried to correct my last word

7. spader623

Jan 18, 2014
    I think you have me misinterpreted. The problem is that I get bored, or im just tired and wanna play a simple game, and then I get annoyed at that too <.< though... I actually am a bit intrigued by an IOS MMO. But yeah, my big problem is that I play games then stop. Then ignore them and get *new game title with shiny graphics and Stunnning gameplay*

8. spader623

Jan 18, 2014
    Btw, GOOD GOD THAT GAME IS BIG. I doubt I'd have any space left XD maybe I'll just download it and delete it, and try it later

9. imjhonfre

imjhonfre Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2012
    I guess this is what happens to you: Let´s say you want to completely finish game A, B, C and D
    You start playing game A
    You start to like game A and go through it with no problems
    You find a problem, you need to be higher level to do something, there´s a level that doesn´t make much sense to you, you have to grind or you don´t have enough money to do something, a hard level, etc. As it is already known that there´s a bunch of games in your list you go to the next one and forget game A
    You quit the game and repeat the process with game B
    Months later you realise you still like A, but feel like you don´t want to re-do the process done before

10. spader623

Jan 18, 2014
    Seems about right. And this isn't just ios games. It's ALL games... It's just easier on ios since they're cheaper and go on sale more then say some wii u games. Also, I recenrly just deleted a ton of games that I know I'll never play... But I also deleted games I'll play but idk when <.< like shadow sun. On sale, so I got it... But I don't wanna play it yet XD

11. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Same happens for me. Hah, I also bought shadow sun but I don't have the energy to get invested in it yet. Rinse and repeat and this is why I only ever complete like 15% (or less) of the games I buy.

It's even worse on PC and steam.

I keep telling myself to stop buying new games and play the ones I have, but I'm weak. Like a woman who shops for new clothes and has a closet full that she never wears....

12. spader623

Jan 18, 2014
    Exactly. Were like shopaholic women... Just instead of clothes, it's games. And I'm guessing by the end of tonight, I'll have bought legacy <.<

13. MonkeyChunks

MonkeyChunks Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Actually, yes. For me this goes even for console and PC games. As I became older and closer to age 30 in my case I noticed that I am very interested in all games, I buy some, some I get for free on mobile, and I may play some games for hours, but very often I will stop and move to another game and never finish the previous one.

I think mostly it is from the fact that there are so many games overall, and being focused on just one is difficult.

14. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

#14 Anonomation, May 30, 2014
    Last edited: May 30, 2014
    Yes yes yes. I buy games and for some reason only summon the power to finish the very beginning and maybe some of the middle. Although there's a gem every now and then that I manage to play all the way through and enjoy. I do it a lot with console and PC games also.

15. vii-Lucky

vii-Lucky Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2013
    I suggest you start playing games like Final Fantasy and any games that offers interesting plot. That's how i overcome it ;)

16. Deadpool6902

Deadpool6902 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    That happens to me all the time , it's so annoying !!!!

17. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    The real problem is the mobile gaming environment.

Games are so accessible (Read: Cheap and in Oversupply) on mobile that everyday we want to try other titles. On top of that, sales happen all the time, and a lot even go free. That said, there are tons of freemium titles to play as well. I became a game/app collector rather than an avid gamer.

I was once like this too.

It changed for me when i started limiting myself to 1 app purchase per week only. I still get free stuff, so it didnt help that much at first, but then the limit i created for myself eventually became bigger, to a point where i can go on almost a month without purchasing anything. This allowed me to actually focus on my games. Another effect of not buying games is not downloading anything at all, even free stuff. I dont regret it, i still got tons of games untouched. For example i bought Geometry Wars 3 two weeks ago, and i still havent fired it up yet.

All these said, because of how accessible games are on the mobile market, everyone has a tendency hoard games rather than play them, as it's easy to jump onto something else when you get bored of one thing and forget that completely.

18. jgeirge

jgeirge Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2015
    I find the problem is finding free time to play a game at all

19. ackmondual

ackmondual Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    U.S.A., earth
    Yeah, I had a "honeymoon period" in my first 2 years of getting my first iOS device where when I learned of AppShopper.com, I would jump on games that went free. This caused a glut of games on device. When I upgraded my IpT3 to an IpT4, then an IpT5, I ended up leaving out alot of those games when I reinstalled some of those apps and their data

I met someone who has the policy that he's allowed to buy 2 new games for everyone he finishes. It's for Steam, but could also work with iOS games I feel. Espeically if it's a game that has no end, or does end, but you could honestly say you'll never touch it again.

Try to enjoy the games you have now. I ended up buying many digital board games, and don't really touch most of them. For example, I have plans to go back to games like..
    Yggdrasil
    Ghost Stories
    Kingsport Festival
    * all these are Ipad

and Nightfall.

however, the only ones I play often are Ascension (with the first 6 expansions + promo packs!) since the games go bay SOOO quickly, and I do async MP too.

OTOH, I purchased Ticket To Ride Pocket, Ticket To Ride Europe Pocket, and all of their IAP as day 1 purchases. Played them for 3 to 4 days each, but ended up never bothering with them again. Not only do I not play the physical versions anymore due to lack of interest (my preferences have evolved), but I can't even be bothered with the digital versions that go by much quicker!

20. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    Buy less games and make it point to finish them. Be selective and only buy premium games titles in the genres that interest you. Trust me you have a much better gaming experience.

Back story is that in college I worked at Babbage's (GameStop) and I would buy everything. I took a little bite of everything but I enjoyed nothing. I never got passed the first few levels which usually are boring. There's a sense of accomplishment finishing a game.