'Limited Edition' versions — would you ever buy?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by EssentialParadox, Dec 15, 2009.

?

Would you ever purchase a 'Limited Edition' version of your favorite game?

1. Yes, I would be very interested

11 vote(s)
    23.9%
  2. Maybe, if it was one of those 'once in a while' really great games

33 vote(s)
    71.7%
  3. I would just wait a week for the standard version with the price reduction

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I would never spend extra for bonus content

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    #1 EssentialParadox, Dec 15, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
    I've been considering the idea of creating a 'Limited Edition' version of an upcoming game and wanted to get feedback if this would be a popular option for customers.

The idea is that the Limited Edition only lasts one week after launch*, and includes bonus content like a DVD would include, like concept artwork, behind the scenes videos, maybe even director's commentary… and it may possibly include exclusive in-game extras too. It would cost $6.99 for the limited edition at launch, but it will be publicized that after a week the special content is removed and the game is reduced to $4.99.

I don't want you to imagine this for just any 99¢ game, but think about a high quality game you've been really excited for recently — a game like N.O.V.A, Ravensword, Need For Speed, etc… whatever you are personally a fan of — and tell me if you would have liked to purchase a Limited Edition version at launch for a couple of extra dollars.

This would primarily be aimed at fans. But if you really don't like the idea, or if it could cause you to not buy the game at all, please say why below.

* Note: I know there would be fans who would be sad to miss out on the content at launch, but its possible it could be re-introduced as an in-game paid DLC upgrade at a later date.

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    If it were one of the few games I was really interested in I'd pay, but it also depends what's included. I don't care about soundtracks or artwork, but unique in-game extras interest me. Obviously it also depends on how much of a price hike we're talking for the amount of bonus content we get.

3. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    If it was something I was really interested in, sure.

However, I bet that it would do better as one game with DLC. Wouldn't change the icon, but anything in game could be modified - spiffy "limited" stamp on the title screen, ability to download music/pictures/items/etc.

4. thegamerocks06

thegamerocks06 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Student
    India
    It really depends on the game actually! I might buy it if i like it a LOT!

5. Nijo

Nijo Well-Known Member

It could be a good idea, but be careful you don't spark a negative reaction. Remember the horse armor in Oblivion? Pitched the right way it would work, but get the tone wrong and you might be inviting 1 star ratings.

6. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    It would be case by case. If i was very much interested then yes!

7. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm honestly surprised how the feedback has all been quite positive, maybe you will see it happen after all. :)

8. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

Umm I don't think I can be a fan of a game that I have absolutely no information on, let alone even released yet. o_O
    Maybe a limited edition some time after the game is released?
    Well as long as the game is not a disaster like Ravensword I'm fairly interested in a limited edition; I love watching the extra clips and stuff.

9. STP_Tim

STP_Tim Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2009
    I'd LOVE this, but a problem:

Once you pull down the game, any future updates cannot be downloaded for the special edition purchasers. So it probably wouldn't work.

10. Videotape

Videotape Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    student, journeyman
    pallet town
    I can think of a few games I'd love this for, but in reality it would encourage piracy once it was out of the appstore

11. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

#11 Will090, Dec 16, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
    I'd rather have all that stuff thrown is as DLC if I like the game I can buy it. You'd only be hurting yourself by not adding the option for everyone to get, because if somebody wanted it they would not have it and they would be sad and you would not get as much money and you would be sad. You also can't tell if you want a special edition version from initial launch

12. Shinto

Shinto Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Spain
    I think this idea will not work because of the time limit. I think is better if you release a game and an option for extra DLC with the extra $. That way people who try the game and loves it will be in the mood to buy that if interested in the extras.

Yes I think the same as Will090 now that I saw

13. carnivore

carnivore Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    germany
    i personally think this is a great idea.

there are app-collectors out there, so there would definitely be an audience. if the price/content ratio would be reasonable it could be really great depending on what was offered in that special edition. so while i think collectors would get it anyway, it really depends on the content when it comes to average joe. personally i would prefer ingame stuff like special skins, weapons, models, etc. or dev-commentaries on the game (like the typical director commentaries with movies. e.g. valve has done this before several times...)

14. MexicanJesus

MexicanJesus Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Many reasons listed not to do it, and I agree with most all of them. But perhaps release your game with the limited aditionally price tag, and have the bonus content available for DLC free. Then drop the price after a week and remove that particular dlc or charge more for it.