Wolf Classic / Doom Classic controls (Poll)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by John Carmack, Jul 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Keep "Tilt-to-turn" Controls in Doom Classic?

1. Yes

79 vote(s)
    37.1%
  2. No

134 vote(s)
    62.9%
  1. John Carmack

John Carmack Gaming God

Jul 24, 2009
    Does anyone actually play a lot with the tilt-to-turn option? I am considering removing it from Doom Classic. I don't want to present a lot of cluttered options to new users, but I don't want to annoy Wolf Classic players that have gotten used to a play style.

I don't mind having some semi-obscure options, but if just isn't a good way to control it for anyone, it would be best to prevent anyone else from wasting their time with it.

2. NYKane

NYKane Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Oh goodness, John Carmack!

I didn't like the tilt-to-turn, so I say keep it out.

3. sundance kid

sundance kid Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    eehhh
    BFE,AZ
    i love the way the wolf classic controls are, there perfect for wolf classic, and i would think for doom as well, if you cant put both i would say put the wolf classic ones, because im not sure how the tilt one would work out

oh BTW welcome to toucharcade :):)

4. jawslover

jawslover Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    JERICHO, KS
    #4 jawslover, Jul 24, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
    I am unsure if I will believe that this is actually John Carmack...
    But i'll answer your question-I never use that control scheme, only the default.

EDIT: Wow, it's real! I didn't see that one coming haha. I apologize :)

5. Moonmist

Moonmist Well-Known Member

May 13, 2009
    at my computer?
    I didn't use it

6. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    The default controls are the best I've used for a FPS on the iPhone.

7. robertf224

robertf224 Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Holy crap I'm edit: like five posts away from john carmack. I personally don't use it and I haven't heard of anyone who does

8. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I don't use the tilt-to-turn. :cool:

9. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    I use tilt to strafe. I found that works best for me.

10. deputy

deputy Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    New York
    I tried it but didn't like it. Kind of frustrating.

11. #11 Mindfield, Jul 25, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
    I've never cottoned to tilt controls in an FPS. They just don't work well in my opinion, so I wouldn't miss them if they were removed. The default controls are indeed perfect.

12. Gamingfun

Gamingfun Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    I do use the tilt to turn but if I'm the minority no worries

13. I don't really like the tilt controls. Personally, I love the default Wolf Classic controls. They're perfect for that type of FPS on the iPhone... and speaking of Doom Classic, I'm chomping at the bits to play it - is it hitting the App Store any time soon?

14. IpodLady

IpodLady Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Washington State
    WOW:eek: I go away for a little bit and look what i find here.

I always use the default. Never tilt. Just doesnt work for me. Default is by far the best of ANY fps out there. Nothing has even come within 20000000000 miles of reaching it's perfection.

15. JCik68

JCik68 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    student
    Slovakia
    I use them - with control scheme nr. 3 it works great (one thumb for walking+sidesteps, other for shooting, and tilting for rotation) - but I can live without them

16. darwiniandude

darwiniandude Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    I tried tilt, an whilst it's an effective way of strafing I never found strafing nessesary in Wolf. I wouldn't miss the option if it were not availible.

However, if you put online multiplayer into a future game I'd really like some strafing option.

17. Kumulus

Kumulus Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    tilt to strafe is ok, but tilt to look around in iphone 1st person shooters is a pain in the ass imho.

brothers in arms and terminator salvation did it right for the most part. but on the other hand they were probably a bit more slow-paced than doom.

tilt worked in wolfenstein 3d only because you didnt have to look up and down. so while it was fine there it may be a bigger problem for doom. one solution might be some kind of mixed controls with tilt for left\right and an additional swipe control for up down.

btw... hail to you, legendary master^^ :D

18. Arock

Arock Well-Known Member

May 8, 2009
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I never use the tilt controls. I find the controls to be great for an FPS on the iPhone. When i tried the free version default controls impressed me so much i purchased wolf classic right away.

19. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    I use the default controls, but I just gave the tilt controls a try, after seeing your post. I think they are manageable, but the player is less likely to have an ideal view of the screen, which is non-optimal. For that reason, I think the default controls are superior, but I will say that if I was partial to the tilt controls in Wolfenstein, I would expect them in Doom.

Your decision; that's why you're the developer and I'm the chump posting on a forum.

20. skamando

skamando Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Student
    Folsom, CA
    Honestly, I never use the tilt controls in Wolf3D. The touch controls are spot on, IMO. But, apparently some people like them, so I suggest leaving them in. But, be sure to keep touch controls as the default, because I'm sure really new users who would have these kinds of problems wouldn't be the type to mess with the settings too much.