Dungeon Nightmares first person horror game

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by kmonkey, Dec 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kmonkey

kmonkey Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Developer
    #1 kmonkey, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
    Now recruiting for the beta test

JOIN THE BETA

=====

NEW GAMEPLAY TEASER 02/01/2014

=====

[​IMG]

Hi there

Just thought it would be fun to share some details of a game I'm currently developing called Dungeon Nightmares.

It is a first person dungeon crawler where the aim is to escape the nightmare you have woken up in.

The game is set in a very dark dungeon theme and you have to use your map and find candles to give temporary light to aid your escape.

I don't think I have to say that you may not be alone in there. I made sure to not spoil any surprises in the media below ;)

You will have no attacking options so it's best to just run away and hide.

It's created with Unity and has been in development for about a month now. Target platforms are iPhone 4 and above.

Gameplay Teaser

Screenshots
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. kmonkey

Feb 1, 2013
    Developer
    Forgot to add that I may open this up to a beta test in the future before release.

In the meantime, any suggestions or feedback would be great!

3. bored2death

bored2death Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2013
    . Skeletons are a bit generic tho maybe something a little scarier or a variety of creepy enemies. Not trying to be skeptical I know it's still in beta just can't help it being a horror game fanatic :D Would be awesome if you introduced a fear system with camera shaking or heavy heartbeats when nearby enemies approach or a sprint and/or hide system so you can hide in cupboards or rooms. The beta footage looks awesome tho reminds me alot of amnesia.

4. Aeon

Aeon Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2012
    i wasnt expecting that scream at the end :eek:

5. kmonkey

Feb 1, 2013
    Developer
    Thanks for your feedback :)

I'm happy to say that skeletons are not the main enemy in the game and I intentionally left out its purpose in the video above (although you can see another type of enemy in the last screenshot).

There are a variety of "enemies" already in the beta but I made sure to not go overkill on the list so that the fear sets in by just the atmosphere.

The fear system is an interesting idea and I sort of already have something in there similar where the volume for the ambient music drops to zero making your heartbeat the main sound you can hear, when a certain type of enemy is within your range. I can explore this mechanic further :)

I don't really want to spoil things too much as a lot of the ideas in the game need to feel dynamic... or at least that is my intention :)

Please continue with your feedback as it will help making this horror game great for horror fans!

6. MikeNintendo

MikeNintendo Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Scream was pretty wierd :D

What about the controls?

7. kmonkey

Feb 1, 2013
    Developer
    Since I am only releasing this on touch screen devices I am making this as easy to use as possible :)

• Virtual left stick is WASD (forwards, strafe left, backwards, strafe right)
    • Right half of the screen is a touch pad for mouse look (not a virtual stick and works great)
    • Touch and hold on doors or chests to unlock them (releasing too early does not unlock them)
    • Pick up items is automatic when within range
    • Tap the top right to view/close map
    • Tap the top left to use a candle if available

8. MikeNintendo

Aug 6, 2013
    Cant there be an issue when you pick up something you didn't even see?
    E.g. walking backwards.

9. kmonkey

Feb 1, 2013
    Developer
    I'll be honest and say right now I can confirm this can happen but easily fixed so that it will only pick them up when in view. In fact I am going to implement that fix right now!

I definitely want to continue with the automated approach as it can become quite tedious tapping the screen every few seconds.

You see, this is why I came here to ask for feedback from you lovely people :D

10. MikeNintendo

Aug 6, 2013
    You are welcome :)

11. kmonkey

Feb 1, 2013
    Developer
    Beta test now open :)

JOIN BETA TEST

I figured there was no point waiting and decided let you all have a bit of fun on it early on :)

All suggestions and ideas welcome!

12. kmonkey

Feb 1, 2013
    Developer
    Thanks to those that have joined the beta, I have added you to the beta :)

You should be getting a notification of the first beta so please download it and give Dungeon Nightmares a try!

Please leave any feedback you have here, that would be great.

13. Reticule

Reticule Active Member

Apr 17, 2012
    That was genuinely pretty scary. Great sound design (that machine thing/screaming near the end, ulp!) though I think the very final scream was a bit hackneyed for the trailer.

Great editing, too. I wasn't sure at first if something had walked through that door.

14. kmonkey

Feb 1, 2013
    Developer
    Thanks for the great comment! :)

The video was direct gameplay so I didn't do any editing apart from fading between those 3 scenes.

Are you on the beta? would be interesting to hear what you think when its all heard in context (in particular the final scream).

15. kmonkey

Feb 1, 2013
    Developer
    Added a few more beta recruits to the list and just pushed out a new build with some minor tweaks to the Girl AI and Lighting.

Beta is still open for more people so please feel free to join :)

16. kmonkey

Feb 1, 2013
    Developer
  17. Dr. Woodenstein

Dr. Woodenstein Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Hey I just sent a request to be on the beta team. However I'm kinda new to test flight and sent it from my computer. I'm not sure if that's gonna make a difference or not. I'm using an iPad mini, which I've not actually registered yet so... yeah idk. If necessary I can resubmit my request from my iPad after I've registered it if I have to.

18. kmonkey

Feb 1, 2013
    Developer
    If you can access the same email you signed up with via the ipad, try opening the email I believe you got after signing up that asks you to register a device.

After that, just follow the instructions and when I get your ipad details, I can add them to the next build and u can start playing :)

19. Dr. Woodenstein

Dr. Woodenstein Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Ok, I just sent the request from my iPad so hopefully it works this time.

20. kmonkey

Feb 1, 2013
    Developer
    Got it and just added your device to the list. You should be able to download the latest build straight away!

Any problems, just let me know here thanks! :)