Promo Codes can't be rated, reviewed and don't count as purchase anymore!

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by slewis7, Apr 29, 2011.

1. rob3k

rob3k Member

Jan 11, 2010
    I can understand why devs would not like this at all, but I think it is good for customers.

2. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    at the end it makes no difference.. as mentioned above a def can still gift the app to people for promotion.. and even call thoose expenses in front of tax, so i don't see much of a difference.

the only good thing which might come out is that less promo code lurkers scavenge around the board.

3. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    #83 drelbs, May 4, 2011
    Last edited: May 5, 2011
    Gifting the app earns Apple 30%, and many lurkers couldn't care less about not being able to review the app.

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Aren't gift codes still region-specific though? If they took that route we'd go back to the days of having to create an alternate US account just to redeem codes, only this time we'd need an account in every country...

5. BPO_Quickdraw

BPO_Quickdraw Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2011
    http://bulletproofoutlaws.com/
    I'm still finishing up my first game, so this is going to become relevant to me pretty quick here...the way I've understood it is that the best way to use promocodes is instead of giving them to friends/family, you're supposed to give them to review sites so game reviewers can easily check out your game and write a review about it on their site.

So in THEORY, this doesn't prevent that marketing tactic, because if a large game site reviews your game I would assume they're going to do it on their website as an actual review VS leaving a review on the App Store.

If promocodes were eliminated entirely, game review sites would have to pay $0.99 - $4.99 or whatever to check out your game so then as indies we'd REALLY be screwed...but while at first glance this sounds horrible, as I think about it this doesn't seem like TOO bad a situation...

- Quickdraw

6. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

No, the modern codes can be redeemed in every AppStore worldwide.

7. koyut

koyut Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Is this true? When did it start?

8. Moonjump

Moonjump Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    Game designer
    Lincoln, UK
    Yes, the whole purpose of the Promo Codes was for sending to review sites.

App Store reviews should be by genuine customers, to help potential customers make an informed decision.

Apple have merely closed a loophole that was being increasingly abused. It was bound to happen once projects started for sharing Promo Codes for the purpose of App Store reviews.

9. blitter

blitter Well-Known Member

I guess they closed it a little too tightly as no reviews are getting through here, paid, gifted, whatever. We have 2 worldwide from before the change. In my home country (UK) no reviews have been allowed...are we as free as we think I must ask! /rant

10. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I know promo codes can be redeemed worldwide, but last I heard gift codes were still region specific, which would ruin the plan of devs gifting their apps to people.

11. fiveohthree

fiveohthree Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Yes that is correct, gift codes are still region specific.

Unfortunately I was only able to find that out after I received an e-mail from a reviewer telling me he could not redeem the code.

12. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

Wouldn't ruin it for me. I happen to live in the biggest sales region so I wouldn't be severely affected. I used gift codes once for a contest...maybe 30 of them. It wasn't to gain reviews though, just exposure.

13. marlenedegrood

marlenedegrood Well-Known Member

I think this is a bad move on Apples part. This will give a false sense to potential buyers that all the reviews are honest when in fact it is a small price to pay for a developer to pay some "friends" to buy the app and write false positive reviews. This is a win for dishonest developer and a very poor decision by Apple.

14. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Well CRAP WEASELS!

I noticed this first with Tikal but having received hundreds of promos before and left reviews I thought this was a unique glitch and the IDIOTIC Apple tech support agent either really didn't know of this change or was intentionally playing dumb. After I explained that I was unable to leave a review for a game I just recently received a promo code for, they provided me with a link to the app I mentioned and told me how one can leave a review (wow, so that is what the "Write a Review" button is for, THANKS!).

While I agree this system had been greatly abused, it would have been nice if this change was made big bold and official somewhere and not just something many of us active iTune reviewers had to find out the hard way. :mad:

15. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I'm pretty sure a lot of people already had that false sense anyway. As a whole the consumer market isn't an especially tech-aware one, they don't all know the ins and outs of the App Store and most probably don't know what a promo code is.

16. katday

katday Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2011
    i think apple is really messing with the review option !
    all reviews seem to be deleted ! or atleast from the games i have been checking out.

17. dafalcon

dafalcon Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    Las Vegas, NV
    Purpose of Promo Codes

Exactly right, Quickdraw. Now the trick is finding 50 review sites to actually give your game a fair look ...

Besides, this is actually a good thing: this way I can tell my friends and family that I need them to spend their own money to buy my game so they can leave reviews, and then I get 70% of their money. Mwhahahahaha. (I'm kidding, by the way.)

18. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #98 LordGek, May 14, 2011
    Last edited: May 14, 2011
    Have things returned to normal?

I just noticed I'm able to leave reviews for promoed games again! :D

I have had two of my reviews just published in iTunes from a couple of days ago and this morning from two games I just received promo codes for over the last couple of days.

Perhaps Apple decided the change wasn't worth all of the nasty flack and have relented...unless this is just some weird window of opportunity that Apple will soon close again. :rolleyes:

Oddly, though, games I received promos for during the "dark time" I am still blocked from reviewing.

19. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Just tried this for a promo I received tonight and it works for me too, UK store. I wasn't too bothered about removing the ability before, but now that it's back I'd rather it just stays than Apple keeps messing about and confusing everyone.

20. Therealtrebitsch

Therealtrebitsch Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Promo codes can be reviewed in iTunes if you redeem them ON YOUR PC

If you redeem them on your DEVICE (iPhone, iPad, iPod) you CAN NOT review on Appstore.

You CAN NOT review apps in iTunes if you redeemed on your device and synced to iTunes.