iAds- for developers...

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by r10k, Apr 9, 2010.

1. r10k

r10k Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2009
    So here's the thing. I know developers are going to be interested in iAds (I've seen quite a few already shouting joyfully about it), but I have a bit of an issue with ads in general. When my phone is in a 'roaming' zone (not overseas, just falling onto another carrier's network) I get charged big dollars for any data use. I'm happy to not use data when in a roaming zone, but I'm a little concerned iAds are going to be pulling data every time I run an app.

At the moment if I see an advert, it's insta-delete. I don't care how good your app is, how much I respect or like you- if you put adverts in your applications I'll throw that sucker in the bin without a second thought, because I have no idea if the ads are using the 'net or not. Some are obviously just non-updating banners, and that's fine, but otherwise it's good riddance.

So, I'm left wondering about iAds. I guess the details aren't in dev hands yet. Or, are they? Either way, I guess this is just a small note to point out that pretty much no user on the planet likes ads (understatement of the year), and some of us are willing to bin your hard work if you go the advertising route. An example is the recent Bounce On 2. I really liked the look of it, but the guys put adverts (not declared- another no no) in their lite version. I binned that, so there's no sale from me.

Please keep these things in mind, if you will. If every app I use winds up getting filled with adverts (iAds or otherwise), I'll have no choice but to throw them all away, because the iPhone on my carrier provides no way to block data, without shutting off 3G and killing the actual phone part of the phone. That would be a real shame, because I really enjoy some of the games you guys are putting out.

2. Yobonja

Yobonja Member

Apr 1, 2010
    I really don't think a lot of paid apps will add adverts, or am I missing something?

3. This is not going to happen, don't worry.
    iAds are enabled like other ads - if there is a connection to the internet. First it downloads only banner (first thing you see). And only if you click on it downloads the rest of it.

But I must say that if you hit it accidentally it will charge you a full price...

4. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    iPhone Developer
    #4 MrBlue, Apr 9, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
    iAds changes nothing for the end user.

It's just another ad network like admob or quattro wireless or any of the half a dozen out there. If it didn't come from Apple, no one would even blink an eye. There are apps now that use ads and there will plenty of apps that continue to use ads in the future.

Btw, I'm overseas a ton as well. You should consider entering a fake APN profile if you don't want to risk data charges. I remove the profile when I want to actually pay for data, then re-install it when I'm done. All wirelessly through Safari on whatever the telecom for my sim. All the while my phone continues to work as normal.

5. r10k

r10k Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2009
    #5 r10k, Apr 9, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
    There is a connection to the internet- 3G. It's how the phone takes calls by default, and its how it connects to the 'net, aside from wi-fi, of course.

That's the problem. I pay a ton of money for the banners that are downloaded. I have a set monthly amount of network traffic, unless it comes from a 3rd party network. I pay for that one top of my set monthly amount. Needless to say, I try and keep that at zero.

That's the other problem. Apple's behind it, and their number will increase.

Not that I know how to do that (or even sure that I can) but that's not really practical for every day use. I'm on roaming half of the time, and in 3G zones the rest. But that's beside the point. There are tons of people in Australia (where I am) who have the same issue. They can't afford to run ads that have any kind of 'net-based connectivity.

I mean, if Apple sort out OS4 and let people restrict this kind of thing with the flick of a switch- problem solved! But, I don't really see that happening.

6. Calls are over GSM. 3G is for data only. (Skype counts as data) If you don't want to use data when roaming, turn off data roaming in your settings. (Settings -> General -> Network) Problem solved.

7. r10k

r10k Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Sorry, yes, that I know. My mistake. If what I said were true, I wouldn't be able to make calls in a non-3G roaming zone :)

Problem not solved. I don't have that option on my iPhone (something to with how it's locked to the carrier). There has been talk about mucking with VPN settings and hoping for the best, but that's a bit of a mess to figure out.

8. egarayblas

egarayblas Well-Known Member

@r10k: Have you asked your carrier how you can get this option? That's another way of solving your problem. Ads are a great way for devs to monetize their apps especially now that "app discovery" has been a prevalent problem in the AppStore so I don't think you can avoid them. Even if you "insta-delete" an ad-based app from your device, chances are, it already cost you a substantial amount from the initial ad.

9. r10k

r10k Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2009
    That's a good idea, egarayblas. I'm doubtful that'll work (I think the lack of setting is down to the sim it's locked to) but it's worth a look.

I usually test apps while connected to wi-fi, so that's not really an issue. But, I'm not always on wi-fi, so...

10. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    Doesn't Apple's 60% share to devs make iAds much more favorable than Admob? What is AdMob's typical revenue share, does anyone know? I heard it was ridiculously small but can't remember the exact figure off the top of my head.

11. klicktock

klicktock Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2009
    Director of KlickTock
    Ballarat, Vic, Australia
    My concern with iAds is that - everyone is going to see the same advertisment. At the moment, I might use Mobclix - someone else uses AdMob. Great - our ads probably won't cross paths.

If most people switch to iAds, and they're always serving up the same ads to the user (based on demographic) - that's going to be a lot less clicks. Generally people will click on an advert only once.

I just hope it's so popular, ever advertiser on the world is going to want to jump on there :) Then - lots of fresh ads for everyone.

12. That would make my trips up north suck. :D

Really? I didn't even know carriers could do that on the iPhone, or with the SIM. I know AT&T (and I think Sprint or Verizon as well) have gotten some flack from dumbphone users who wanted to be able to disable the data connection on their phone because they hit the Internet button accidentally and they wouldn't do it. I didn't know that could extend to the iPhone though, that's just absurd. You have my sympathies on this point then, I can see how unexpected ads would suck on the go.

13. r10k

r10k Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Thanks for the sympathies :p I must do a bit of research into how they're pulling it off. At the end of the day I don't think there's anything I can do about it, but... thanks for listening! I'm a PC dev, so as much as we all like to earn money, I'm aware that although things like websites with music and pointless popups can be used for effect, but people get annoyed at them. Unauthorised 'net access on phones is in the same category for a lot of people, as evidenced by the 'internet button' story :)

Yes, because the average person really loves ads.

14. GordLacey

GordLacey Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2009
    For things I get for free, I don't have a problem with ads. I downloaded the FRAM version of Gas Cubby, and I love that I get an awesome app for free because FRAM sponsored it with their ads.

15. r10k

r10k Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Just as a followup, it looks as though OS4 has the option to disable cellular data. I wonder if that'll help with my situation...

16. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    iPhone Developer
    Read this on Daring Fireball.

Apple to Charge a Premium to Put Ads in Mobile Apps

This is a game changer for devs if it pans out.

17. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Everything I've read about iAds really makes me think they're going to be great for developers. Hopefully the extremely vocal minority of people who absolutely hate all forms of advertisements don't dissuade too many people from exploring this new revenue option.

18. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

19. rarindeed

rarindeed New Member

Mar 4, 2010
    It's definitely interesting. Look at ads in apps now. How many of those advertisers do you think would spend that kind of money on a campaign? Not many.

And what about self-serve ads for indie devs?

20. bmn0210

bmn0210 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2010
    If your SIM card doesn't give you the option, that means it doesn't support roaming data connections, so you probably have nothing to worry about.

In any case, to disable your data connection, just go to http://iphonenodata.com, tap the button, and confirm the installation. When you want to re-enable your data, just delete the installed file from "profiles" under settings.

Frankly I have no idea why the hell Apple requires to creation of a configuration profile for something this basic.