$2.99 Spider The Secret of Bryce Manor is a masterpiece

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Omega-F, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    [​IMG]

It's funny, Spider may be the only game in recent memory that I have bought without having seen a single screenshot, video or a review. I bought it because of this:

"YOU ARE A SPIDER. One day you discover an abandoned mansion. Who lived here, and why did they leave? In search of answers, you must adventure from room to room, building webs to trap insects, and uncovering secrets in every dark corner. Do you have what it takes to solve the Bryce family mystery?"

Seriously, you don't get a concept that sounds more compelling than that, specially in this age of space marines.

I'm going to try to be as quick as possible with this (even if the game deserves many paragraphs to explain just how wonderful it is). Spider The Secret of Bryce Manor, a $2.99 game for the iDevices is a masterpiece. This little gem is one of the most refreshing and masterfully crafted games I've had the pleasure to play. The game shines in just about every single element that makes a game good.

The detailed hand-drawn visuals give the game an incredible sense of atmosphere. The aural experience is exquisite. And the most important part in any game, the gameplay, is just as good. Basically all you do is creating webs to capture bugs and eat them. The mechanics are really solid and combined with a fantastic level design you have a game that's a joy to play.

But what really makes of Spider an unforgetable experience is its story. Hideo Kojima (and many other developers for that matter) should play this title and learn how to effectively tell a story throughout the game.

The first time that I played Spider, I played it because it was a really fun game. The second time, I played it to find what really happened in that mysterious house. Man, this is not hyperbole at all: the way the developers approached story-telling with this game kick the absolute living sh*t out of almost every other game out there this generation. It's something that I have seen before in games like Fallout 3 or Bioshock, but not even those games did a job as good as in Spider.

There's not a single line of text, nor one second of a bullshit cutscene. All the story is told through the imagery in the environments. I've finished the game a few times now, and every time I find something new that connects to the plot of the game. And let me tell you, at first glance the story may very simple, but powerful and complex the more you investigate. I don't want to ruin the experience for you, but believe me that you are going to love what's going on here, and you are going to replay the game numerous times just to discover what really happened with the Bryce family. There's a twist in the game that absolutely blew me away and it just sent chills down my spine.

Spider The Secret of Bryce Manor single-handedly validated my purchase of an iPod Touch, and if you haven't bought it already, please do it.

2. SoCal_Sponger

SoCal_Sponger Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2009
  3. qwerty12

qwerty12 Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2009
    Nice to know:) but did you really needto make a whole new thread to tell us what everybody else is already saying. Im not mad, just wondering why you didn't just post this in the huge thread about this game

4. colorsound

colorsound Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Video Game Developer / Photographer / Graphic Arti
    Detroit, MI
    I love the game, but to be a 'masterpiece', it needs parralax scrolling.