Graybles - A game about many perspectives

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by dmarqs, Sep 8, 2015.

1. dmarqs

dmarqs Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2012
    #1 dmarqs, Sep 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
    [​IMG]

A multi perspective game, where you play with mixed screens of different angles and views, in a 3D/ 2D environment.

check more on twitter

[​IMG]

Multiple perspective brings an unique way to play and understand the world. It all happens in a 3D environment but with different 2D views. You can move our hero by touching any screen, allowing to access certain areas that cannot be reached with only one view. Because of that, a lot of mixes can be made: top-down with side views, diagonal perspectives that hides objects or even first person view with 45º angle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Right now Graybles has 8 fully playable levels with the 'many perspective' experience. It took me 8 months to develop, including art and everything game design and programming. I expect to release in 2016 and have some help with art and sound.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It has been very hard to build every level, but very rewarding! Each one has it's own way of undestanding, requiring time to mix perspective puzzle design and level design. I've been using some game design principles like kishōtenketsu as showed by Koichi Hayashida and something I'm calling “pattern ‘two and a half’”, which I would like to talk more about it later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It'll have 40 levels, and 10 playable characters. Each character can be played in 4 levels. We will learn about each character in the beginning and at the end of their worlds. I want something more humorous for them, so expect some jokes on the way!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Outside the main game, I want to implement something like collectible cards. Cards can be exchanged when the player collect enough 'Red Gifts', that she gets in the main game.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm Daniel Marques, I've been doing games for fun for the last years on my own, while keeping my full time job, here in Brazil, doing mobile apps. I'm the only one doing the game, including programming, game design and art. As you could see, I'm really not good at art and I need help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Summing up:

- A lot of screens with each one showing a different angle of the level. Got it.
    - 8 levels ready.
    - The name Graybles is a tribute to an 'Adventure Time' episode.
    - As I'm a huuuuge fan of AT show, I'm dying to make a funny game.
    - 40 mind-bending levels and 10 characters.
    - Collectable cards.
    - A lot of work to complete.
    - Definitely not good at art nor composing. (Yes, I need help)
    - Still doing in my spare time.
    - Still want to release in 2016.

That’s it, I hope you're liking what you're seeing! It has been a great experience as game designer to develop Graybles and a real pleasure. (besides all work)

More to come in the next months! =)

[​IMG]
    check more on twitter

2. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    Looks cool

3. MassiveIndie

MassiveIndie Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2015
    Indie Developer and Publisher
    Arizona, United States
    Really cool stuff!

4. Miguel_M

Miguel_M New Member

Apr 6, 2015
    #4 Miguel_M, Sep 8, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
    Looks promising!

Looks really cool! :D

5. Valentia

Valentia Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jan 20, 2009
    Female
    Retired!
    California
    I am definitely keeping track of this one. It looks very nice!

6. copaeci

copaeci Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    student, writer, reviewer, beta tester
    ID
    nice game design concept.. good luck

7. dmarqs

dmarqs Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Thanks everyone! It's been awesome to have your feedback. I'm going to keep you updated as the development goes.

In this week I finally started to work with level 3. As you can see in the image below, there is a lot of multi-view puzzles yet to be explored.

This time, the level took a different approach- it can be played more with just 1 view, and using the others as supporters. You have to understand how everything is properly connected this time, it's a bit more complicated than the other levels.

[​IMG]

8. Sponggy

Sponggy Active Member

Jul 11, 2015
    I am definitely keeping an eye on this
    How do you control on the main character?

9. dmarqs

dmarqs Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Hi Sponggy!

The hero can be controlled by touching the level. It's going to make the character go to that direction.

There isn't a way to go to the Door without going resolving some puzzles first. In this third level, you can finish without getting any items, but you can't go without resolving the level puzzles. (the multi-view puzzles)

I've been very grateful doing this game because I'm always have to build something around multi-view puzzles and the actual level puzzle of the stage. That's bring a lot of nice options to make fun. =D

10. dmarqs

dmarqs Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2012
    #10 dmarqs, Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
    Hi everyone!

Thanks for the nice comments! It's very important that you're like what you're seeing, so, I know I'm in the right path.

Ok, after some user tests in this week for level 3 and some adjusts, finally finished it. As I'm getting more experienced with the game, things got a little faster now. Still has a lot to code, just using what I already have.

Notice about art:
    It's not my strongest part. I'm trying not to focus in it right now, just want to explore what it could be done with multi views. Possibly, after that, I'll start to look around someone to help. =)

Ok, for this next week, the job will be on a 'How to' level. Will use the first tileset for this, as it's something more simple and quick. It's going to start with just 1 view and, as the hero touches the switch, it will show the other from above. Here's a first image of just 1 view.

[​IMG]

See you next week with more updates! (Or before that, how know)

11. dmarqs

dmarqs Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Quick update:

One view from level 3. Things are not what it looks like!

[​IMG]

12. FRACTURES

FRACTURES Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    This looks beautiful - really charming and stylish.

13. orangebowl

orangebowl Active Member

Jul 11, 2015
    One tap gameplay looks it works here pretty good, can't wait for more updates about this game

14. dmarqs

dmarqs Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Hi everyone,

In this week I got the Introduction level ready. Starting with just one view and boom: another one shows up. =)

As I want to submit a really good work to IGF, I'll take 2 weeks of my vacation, so I can polish a little more what I'm planning.

[​IMG]

15. dmarqs

dmarqs Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2012
    A quick update:

Tiles and level planning ready! Now it's Unity time! =)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

16. dmarqs

dmarqs Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Part of the process of making level 4. =)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. dmarqs

dmarqs Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Hello everyone! A new hero animation! What do you think?

[​IMG]

18. Lavender

Lavender Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    I like it! All the pics look great so far.
    I am excited! :)

19. dmarqs

dmarqs Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Level 1, redone. =)

[​IMG]

20. dmarqs

dmarqs Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2012
    All four levels had their BGs redone today... More to come tomorrow!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]