where are the AAA game announcements? Not at E3...

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Jensen, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Jensen

Jensen Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    I keep thinking that AAA games (full-length, console-quality from proven developers with $$$ to spend on highly polished graphics and gameplay) will be announced soon for release this winter. Doesn't seem like there's much iOS gaming buzz going around E3, I'm wondering if we're going to have to wait another year for the iOS market to mature.

I'm just sick of all of the casual/freemium/throwaway games coming out these days and am desperate for any news of meatier stuff coming to iOS. Even Infinity Blade Dungeons (which is more like A and not AAA anyway if it's like IB 1 or 2 since they were shorter and less fully developed than a true AAA game in my opinion) isn't out yet, just getting some frustration out here!

2. Chocolate

Chocolate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    I love iOS games, but if you really want console quality AAA games, then get a console (or even a 3DS or Vita). Even if iOS got such games the controls would be limiting. Just look at GTA III for example. Until Apple decides to make an official game controller for iOS, I think iOS will remain mostly a casual gaming platform.

3. OutSpoken

OutSpoken Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    Im siding with the OP here, hoping for some AAA love for iOS at E3. Devices like the iPad 3 proves its capable... And the lack of physical controls on iDevices shouldnt limit creativity.

I enjoy playing games on my ipad3 and iphone4 and dont wish to carry around, nor have an interest in a second handheld like a 3ds or vita, which is the reason i sold my consoles and havent turned on my DS lite in two years!

4. klarence

klarence Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    #4 klarence, Jun 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
    It's not clever to want AAA games on IOS if the AAA games means xbox 360 quality.
    I would say if AAA means deep depth, good graphic and great gameplay, then ninetendo has no AAA games.
    Mario Kart is one of their biggest title, and it never has really good graphic.
    It's funny to see how bias people are based on their gaming background.
    I've a friend lives with MMORPG all the time and he considers console game is a waste of time.
    Even so called expert website has no justice, there are so many examples.
    For my own experience, IOS is good enough. And it will get better with gens upgrade every year.
    I don't expecet there will be console experience on IOS because I want try some new. If I want console gaming, I would use my 360. This not means IOS is bad compared with console, because there is no centain criterion for game.
    In fact there are already console quality games on IOS:
    Super monkey ball, scribblenauts, Sega All-star Racing and Tintin adventure.
    If you want big famous franchise console quality game, it's not what IOS good at. At least for now. Meanwhile, console can't play what IOS is good at either.
    There are also great games on IOS own "console" quality:
    Crazy Hedgy, Waking Mars and Zenonia 3.
    Maybe the only problem with IOS gaming is it's too cheap, so people become picky.
    I don't care about big franchise as long as they can't offer me joy.

5. Bad Hanson

Bad Hanson Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Somnambulist
    The Westcountry UK
    Tell me about it. I didn't think E3 could get any worse after the past 2 years and that's across the board. I put it down to the big 3 having lost touch with what gamers really want mixed in with abject paranoia at a long-term global downturn and ever shrinking traditional market (that part is down to us, at least in part). So I had been hoping to see some sparks from the good ship iOS...some high profile releases this week would definitely have been noticed especially when everyone is paying extra attention to the gaming blog sites. Most if not all of the game journo's are all in one place this week and they are packing smartphones and tablets: how could there be a better time to release your game?? It reminds me of all those years when Sony and Nintendo refused to put out a triple AAA in the summer holidays...and we would sit at home for weeks craving a new game to play. Crazy right? E3 week should be a time to celebrate gaming, surprise releases, exciting news, drive business. So why do I feel an even deeper sense of disdain than l did last year. Two words to sum up...'wasted opportunities'.

6. fulcizombie

fulcizombie Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2011
    I still wonder what ever happened to some games that we've seen footage and looked great ? Where's "infinity of God" ? Where's "Afterlife ground zero" ? Where's that other story -based sandbox horror fps game (i keep forgetiing its name, it has a huge thread in TA forums) ?

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Infinity God is at Chillingo. Afterlife, at this point, little more than a tech demo. Forgotten Memories and Ravensword 2 are due out before the end of the year. MadFinger's zombie shooter is coming out before the end of June; so are Gameloft's Asphalt 7 and Amazing Spider-Man. EA has a new Need for Speed that they're pitching as the best racer on handhelds (Vita included). Bladeslinger should be out before the end of the summer.

AAA as a category refers to one thing and one thing only: budget. In general, you are not going to see that kind of money spent on the handheld space, especially on a platform where 6.99 is considered "premium" pricing. I would argue that even the dedicated gaming handhelds have few or no AAA games beyond ports (neither Uncharted nor Resistance on Vita are AAA; I seriously doubt that AC will be one).

E3 is just beginning to cover gaming beyond consoles; it's one of the reasons why many feel the event is kind of irrelevant. The audience is basically investors and hardcore console gamers (the coverage of PC gaming is paltry). Smartphone gaming is an emergent category, so I wouldn't expect it to make much of an appearance in an old-guard event like E3.

8. fulcizombie

Dec 17, 2011
    Thabks, i guess , but i am not referring to madfinger's game . There was another fps post-apocalyptic game , that looked great .

Too bad about the dissapearence of afterlife, it looked way better than something like shadowgun .

9. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Yeah, I know what you're talking about but I forget the name. I think the dev last updated the thread in May with new artwork.

It's really impossible to say whether Afterlife is better than anything, since what we saw was paltry. Don't know whether it's still in development; we haven't seen anything since that original video.

10. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    This is pretty much my sentiment. Don't get me wrong, there are some "deep" gaming experiences on iOS that work and work well -- Galaxy on Fire 2 being a good example -- but for the most part, I pull out my phone for a quick fix. And when most people use the term "AAA title," they're generally referring to a blockbuster-style action game, which honestly, I've have enough of. The "dudebro" thing is played...so played. Give me a good, lighthearted game that's fun, or a mindless shooter, any day of the week and twice on Sunday -- I'll be happy, i.e. where's my House of the Dead, Sega?! :mad:

11. fulcizombie

Dec 17, 2011
    Why are you using a retarded neogaf term ?

12. Wake up Apple!

Make the freakin' icontroller joystick. In fact, I command it. Hehe