★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
03-22-2013, 09:39 AM
Downloaded.

The ASCII sized characters are too tiny for me to touch reliably. How do you play?

The "Auto" function is quite entertaining. He got o level 5 before croaking...

Last edited by iPadisGreat; 03-22-2013 at 09:58 AM.
03-22-2013, 10:10 AM
Oh shit! Downloading immediately.

03-22-2013, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPadisGreat View Post
Downloaded.

The ASCII sized characters are too tiny for me to touch reliably. How do you play?

The "Auto" function is quite entertaining. He got o level 5 before croaking...
I use the d-pad to move around mainly. You can touch and hold to get a magnifying glass. But it is still tricky with things being small. Add: yeah, the magnifying glass feature helps when aiming throw darts at an enemy!

Last edited by Ravenblack; 03-22-2013 at 10:36 AM.
03-22-2013, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by undeadcow View Post
I wonder if there's any chance this will become iPhone/iPod/Universal compatible in the near future.
That'd be great! But sadly it seemed only fitting for a large screen release seeing how navigation via touch can already be tricky on the big screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenblack View Post
A few other notes:

A How-to-play explanation can be accessed by tapping on black square with the "@" symbol at the title screen.

When you're in the game, the help <?> under the Menu option seems to be something left over from probably the pc version, since it seems to refer to keyboard commands which doesn't seem to exist at all in this port.
As you deduced earlier it is a straight port of Brian Walker's seminal and very accessible Brogue available for PC/Mac/Linux and can be found here. This means all the keyboard command messaging still exists. It's my personal preference when playing games is take them with me via tablet and Brogue seemed like a perfect candidate for a mobile platform. Not to mention the creator was highly receptive to bringing it to a new platform. Sounds like you're enjoying it, feel free to provide any feedback!

Oh, and a little trick I learned as I was testing the game: You can tap/dtap the items and creatures in the left hand list to interact with them.
03-22-2013, 11:55 AM
I won't be able to give this a try until tonight but Brogue looks absolutely amazing!

Sandoze: thanks so much for porting this - we're always in need of great roguelikes! Is there an option to use tiles?

I found some tips here, a wiki and a great Beginner's Guide on the wiki. Enjoy!
03-22-2013, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceyprime View Post
I won't be able to give this a try until tonight but Brogue looks absolutely amazing!

Sandoze: thanks so much for porting this - we're always in need of great roguelikes! Is there an option to use tiles?

I found some tips here, a wiki and a great Beginner's Guide on the wiki. Enjoy!
No plans for tiles yet as it would take a significant development effort. My main focus is ensuring a great experience for the vanilla Brogue. For example here is the latest update pending approval:

1.0.1 currently in review
• Added a 'show inventory' option on death.
• Setting the pinch to hide directional controls now takes effect in the current application session and not the next time you launch fresh.
• Updated a few assets so they 'pop' a bit more.
• Several bug fixes that may have led to the application freezing.
• Fixed a rare crash when generating a new level.

Changes in 1.0.2 (waiting for the current update to be accepted):
• Performance improved. Menus and popups should now be lightning fast!
• Magnifying glass is more responsive.
• Adjusted hit area of the directional buttons so items behind it aren't accidentally hit while using.

Last edited by Sandoze; 03-24-2013 at 11:59 PM.
03-22-2013, 12:52 PM
Can you make the "auto" play slower? It is currently quite fast and hard to actually follow what the AI is doing with the PC...
03-22-2013, 03:28 PM
Having played various versions of Hack, Nethack, and Slashem over the years...good luck to all the new players. Retrieving the Amulet of Yendor is one of the most difficult achievements in the history of gaming.
03-22-2013, 04:28 PM
[QUOTEAs you deduced earlier it is a straight port of Brian Walker's seminal and very accessible Brogue available for PC/Mac/Linux and can be found here.

This means all the keyboard command messaging still exists. It's my personal preference when playing games is take them with me via tablet and Brogue seemed like a perfect candidate for a mobile platform. Not to mention the creator was highly receptive to bringing it to a new platform. Sounds like you're enjoying it, feel free to provide any feedback!

Oh, and a little trick I learned as I was testing the game: You can tap/dtap the items and creatures in the left hand list to interact with them.[/QUOTE]

The only other Rogue-like I invested any real time in was NetHack when a coder friend of mine turned me onto it for a breather between work projects while keeping my mind sharp. This is an impressive port and the first version of Brogue I have played. Great job on the ipad presentation and I am stoked to see that more updates are already coming! Looks like a real labor of Love and is now my favorite ASCII Rogue-like on iOS ^_^!

Here's to your success Sandoze!
03-22-2013, 05:20 PM
This is great! I'm a big fan of rogue/nethack, but I missed Brogue. I love the ASCII animation. GameCenter leader boards too!