★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
03-22-2013, 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandoze View Post
That'd be great! But sadly it seemed only fitting for a large screen release seeing how navigation via touch can already be tricky on the big screen.

As you deduced earlier it is a straight port of Brian Walker's seminal and very accessible Brogue available for PC/Mac/Linux and can be found here. This means all the keyboard command messaging still exists. It's my personal preference when playing games is take them with me via tablet and Brogue seemed like a perfect candidate for a mobile platform. Not to mention the creator was highly receptive to bringing it to a new platform. Sounds like you're enjoying it, feel free to provide any feedback!

Oh, and a little trick I learned as I was testing the game: You can tap/dtap the items and creatures in the left hand list to interact with them.
Thanks for the tip, love the feature and all the other little details that I'm finding as I play.

I am enjoying this game immensely. Thanks for bringing this to the ipad, Sandoze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceyprime
I found some tips here, a wiki and a great Beginner's Guide on the wiki. Enjoy!
Nice, the stuff on the wiki are very helpful. Thanks!
03-22-2013, 11:08 PM
This is such an excellent port! Great attention to detail, full creature and item info, tap-to-move, great pacing, hilarious scrolls; just love it.

03-22-2013, 11:38 PM
Wow! I love roguelikes, and this looks awesome!

Edit:

Played a couple of games. I really like it, though visually locating everything on the level (especially yourself!) can be tough with all the different floor/env characters.

A couple of feature requests:

1) double-tap a d-pad arrow for run.

Drag is too slow and fiddly for me, auto-explore and left-sidebar-tap are too auto. I just want to be able to run down a corridor rogue/nethack style (until new intersection or event) which I'm guessing is shift-dir on desktop, but not represented in the UI here.

2) double-tap sleep to fire off the "sleep 100 or until event" command.

While I'm at it, maybe 3) a "flash current position" tap zone, maybe on top of the @: You in the upper-left.

Really, though, excellent touch implementation of an excellent roguelike. I'm quite impressed!

Edit 2:

Heh, tapping @ highlighted it. Good work on 3, thanks for the quick turnaround!

I play lots of games, especially async ones. You can add me on GC: geoelectric

Last edited by geoelectric; 03-23-2013 at 02:40 AM.
03-23-2013, 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoelectric View Post
Wow! I love roguelikes, and this looks awesome!

Edit:

Played a couple of games. I really like it, though visually locating everything on the level (especially yourself!) can be tough with all the different floor/env characters.

A couple of feature requests:

1) double-tap a d-pad arrow for run.

Drag is too slow and fiddly for me, auto-explore and left-sidebar-tap are too auto. I just want to be able to run down a corridor rogue/nethack style (until new intersection or event) which I'm guessing is shift-dir on desktop, but not represented in the UI here.

2) double-tap sleep to fire off the "sleep 100 or until event" command.

While I'm at it, maybe 3) a "flash current position" tap zone, maybe on top of the @: You in the upper-left.

Really, though, excellent touch implementation of an excellent roguelike. I'm quite impressed!

Edit 2:

Heh, tapping @ highlighted it. Good work on 3, thanks for the quick turnaround!
Great feedback. For #2 you can go into the 'Menu' and 'Sleep until Better'.
03-23-2013, 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandoze View Post
Great feedback. For #2 you can go into the 'Menu' and 'Sleep until Better'.
Ah, awesome. Thanks!

I play lots of games, especially async ones. You can add me on GC: geoelectric
03-23-2013, 05:26 PM
Can't play on iPad 1 because it requires iOS 6. Is this an oversight or does it really require newer hardware to run ok?
03-24-2013, 12:21 PM
Send a message via ICQ to spajdr
I like it. Its kinda slow sometimes, especially when using items and even when moving.
03-24-2013, 06:37 PM
This game is brilliant! Thank you so much for the hard work! This is turning out to be my favorite roguelike for the iPad!

"I have nothing to say, and I'm saying it" - John Cage
Plus+ ID= Maythius

Game Center: Maythius
03-24-2013, 11:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spajdr View Post
I like it. Its kinda slow sometimes, especially when using items and even when moving.
Agreed. Performance issues have been pretty much resolved over the weekend. I'll be submitting the update as soon as the one in the queue has been accepted (about a week hopefully).

Also, based on earlier feedback the magnifier shows up much faster now.

Changes in 1.0.2 (waiting for the current update to be accepted):
• Performance improved. Menus and popups should now be lightning fast!
• Magnifying glass is more responsive.
• Adjusted hit area of the directional buttons so items behind it aren't accidentally hit while using.

Last edited by Sandoze; 03-25-2013 at 12:00 AM.
03-25-2013, 08:47 AM
Best roguelike on the iPad, hands down IMO. Extended use of the d-pad for movement can be a bit of a bother so I tend to use the Explore option to move around quickly and only use the d-pad when getting into a combat situation. Thanks again for the great port Sandoze!