★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
04-17-2013, 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodangel View Post
When is this out on iPhone?! It states in video it's out on iPhone
Well in the video it's a Motorola Phone but yes I would like this for the iPhone too. Any one else know if there are future plans for the iPhone?
04-17-2013, 04:23 PM
I've stuck by Vendetta Online since the late beta, back in 2004, often forgetting about it for weeks and months a time, but always to return. I don't only consider it the most sophisticated MMO for the iOS platform, but one of the most original, hardcore (yea. For realz) and dynamic virtual gaming worlds ever created.

Why? Well, the VO Wikipedia entry might give you some small insight, and VO's own about page and the VO Steam Greenlight page (the latter with a helpful bullet point list of features) some more.

But here's my own list of the reasons that spring to mind straight away:
  • Twitch-/skill-based combat: Spacefight and flight in VO is entirely based on player skill. There are no stats, attributes or abilities that have any in-game effect. A player's ability to aim, dodge, handle his ship, account for physics, and apply tactical insight is all that determines the outcome of a battle. Also, fighting is furiously fast, on a par with Tribes: Ascend, and has led VO to be labelled "Quake in space" on several occasions. I have yet to come across fighting mechanics with more practical depth and differences in player skill.

(Also, to further complicate and enrichen the combat model, VO's ships actually have a distributed physics model, meaning they all handle differently not only because of their statistics, but also because of their shape and mass. As a result, each ship has to be flown to truly be judged in terms of combat effectiveness and potential. Some ships turn out to be excellent dogfighters just because their shape offers a smaller forward profile and less m2 to fire at. For the pilot who knows how to use that to his advantage, at least.)
  • A dynamic galaxy: The "dynamic" moniker, often thrown about in all kinds of MMOs, actually has some real bearing on gameplay in Vendetta Online. There is an AI faction, the Hive, that will expand across the galaxy and seize sectors if not kept in check by players. There are also border conflicts to win and military transports to disrupt. The former will shift the borders, and lead to differnt kinds of AI incursions and patrols in the universe, and the latter will affect the availability of some very powerful weaponry in the affected nation.
  • A dynamic economy: Trading, availability and demand affect prices in different sectors and stations, and blockading particular stations lead to shortages and price fluctuation. And more guards with NPC trading convoys.
  • A flexible faction system: In VO, you can actually abandon your own nation, and take sides with others, giving you access to restricted tech and particular missions (you might have to work like four Han Solos on speed to achieve this within a reasonable playtime in some cases, but it can always be done). And there are plenty of smaller factions with whom you can gain acceptance and admiration, and gain access to more restricted stuff (ship, weapons, utilities and defenses), missions and stations. You can also be an ass to almost everyone, and loose access to most of the galaxy (stations won't let you land and military patrols might pursue you, even across sector borders), but earn the awesomeness factor of being adressed "pie rat", and of having a legitimate reason to skulk about in grey and dark space.
  • Galaxy-wide free PvP, regulated by in-game solutions (no "magical barriers"): In VO, you can literally be gunned down anywhere. You don't hide in safe zones, skulk about in instances to avoid risk of attack, or bitch and moan about griefing. You get your best ship or you friends and get even, or cleverly rely on in-game safety nets (such as station turrets that attack pirates and other violators, police patrols that launch when innocents are harrassed and attacked, and the factional loss and repercussions your abusers will face, see above point on the faction system). This also facilitates cooperation and planning, as player traders will often bring pals to protect on particularly long journeys through greyspace.
  • When you explode, stuff is lost: Be at the explosive end of a space conflict, and your ship, your equipment and your cargo are all lost. And it is amazing just how the risk of losing makes winning, gaining and progressing so much more fun. Higher stakes, higher returns, something the MMO industry has largely forgotten about.

(And no, the free PvP and gank-griefing poential does not result in a game where you can never make headway or a fortune. Most ships, even very combat-capable vessels, are very generously priced, so you can just outfit another fighter and get back in the action. But there are also exclusive, expensive and rare spaceboats that you might not want to gallivant about the universe in...)
  • The Player Contribution Corps: A group of players who have access to a mission creation engine, can submit new missions to be reviewed and potentially incorporated into the game by the devs, and thus supply the game with a irregular but regular stream of new content. If you get deeply into VO, apply to join the PCC. The web-based mission engine is tons of fun to play around with and create in, and it is flexible enough that there is a lot of opportunity for some serious creativity and content production.
  • A small developer team that communicate with players, implement popular suggestions, and respond to criticism and queries: I fondly remember playing about on the test server, seeing incarnate (the main developer) test out new features, telling him "I don't like this particular implementation, for these reasons", and seeing him change it on the fly (a change that propagated to the production environment in a matter of days).
  • Missions are called "missions". Not "quests".
So if you are curious about the game, let your lasers rip and fire away with questions at me, and I'll do my best to respond in a manner as subjective as a person can be after having advocated a game (and hardcore and dynamic MMO worlds in general) for more than half a decade .

(Also, the Vendetta Online Wiki will easy you in to a MMO very much unlike the majority of popular entries into the genre, and at the far end of the complexity spectrum.)

Vocalist of Neverlast
Game Center/OpenFeint/Plus+/[insert arbitrary game network, online character or multiplayer account here]: Ayjona

Last edited by Ayjona; 04-17-2013 at 04:31 PM.

04-17-2013, 04:24 PM
Installed it on my iPad first gen -> CTD
I closed all apps and restarted the iPad but no chance, still crashing every time at the same point.
It loads the "powered by" screen then it loads on the next screen until the bar reaches the end of the second "n" of "online".

GC: Cr0mw3ll | OF: LordCromwell | +: LordCromwell
Gunshine.net: Cromwell [a1] (non iOS)

Last edited by Cromwell; 04-17-2013 at 05:01 PM.
04-17-2013, 04:32 PM
I sure hope this comes out on I phone soon
04-17-2013, 05:08 PM
Thanks Ayjona!! That really gets me pumped to get into this....

I've only been able to play around with this briefly but I am VERY impressed so far! It's seems to be a very complex and deep game yet it has a simple and easy-to-use interface. The controls are intuitive and smooth...

Really looking forward to getting more time with this as I have never really played any MMO before (although I have been really trying to get into DUST 514 for awhile)

Anyway I will give some feedback later....

Xbox - Playstation - Nintendo - iPad
04-17-2013, 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aventador View Post
Supscription starts at 1 $ , but if you want all ingame you need to shell out 10 $ each month if I got it correct
Boooo.... They should just charge 7$ for everything. I was thinking about getting this but now, no way. 👎👎👎👎👎👎
04-17-2013, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromwell View Post
Installed it on my iPad first gen -> CTD
I closed all apps and restarted the iPad but no chance, still crashing every time at the same point.
It loads the "powered by" screen then it loads on the next screen until the bar reaches the end of the second "n" of "online".
Same thing here.
It's listed for all iPads. Sure hope this is a bug!
04-17-2013, 05:41 PM
It's only for iPad 2 or later...I read it on the official site.

Also, according to the app description, I believe the subscription price per month ranges from $1-$10 depending on how much access you want...but I could be wrong.

Xbox - Playstation - Nintendo - iPad
04-17-2013, 05:55 PM
Amazing how long this game has around for. I'm picking it up and will subscribe. I think it's monthly charge is too high though so unless its as fantastic they will only get a month out of me.
04-17-2013, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayjona View Post

Lost of stuff...
So from what you posted it sounds like eve online with twitch controls heh.

Gamecenter : taeles