★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
05-27-2016, 12:23 PM
That must have been a very tough TRS. The rules state that one torpedo hit alone will deduct one life point, so something seems amiss there.

I recently experienced an opposite situation with torpedo damage in a fleet battle. My opening allied torpedo salvo sank all IJN destroyers in the opposing fleet; 8 or 9 of them; that was before any guns were fired. Highly unlikely. Even with the element of surprise factored in.
05-27-2016, 03:32 PM
Just checking there is zero sound correct? Like a true board game 😃

05-28-2016, 01:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzinn View Post
Just checking there is zero sound correct? Like a true board game 😃
That's correct mzinn, no doubt for the reason you say. Can't beat authenticity!
05-28-2016, 10:48 AM
Are the dice rolls visible?
05-28-2016, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragan View Post
Are the dice rolls visible?
No, these are not shown, although the manual gives full details of hit and damage chance percentages.
05-28-2016, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stronsay View Post
No, these are not shown, although the manual gives full details of hit and damage chance percentages.
That's really pity. If no sound is authenticity (which I would miss) then the absence of dice is contrary. Maybe I'm not hardcore enough but for me both development choices are a bridge to far. Nevertheless, I hope the game sells good because I have the impression that a lot of love went into the adaptation.
05-28-2016, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragan View Post
That's really pity. If no sound is authenticity (which I would miss) then the absence of dice is contrary. Maybe I'm not hardcore enough but for me both development choices are a bridge to far. Nevertheless, I hope the game sells good because I have the impression that a lot of love went into the adaptation.
You make a valid point Dragan. Sometimes it is good to see the dice rolls. It depends on the complexity of the game. With a game as complex as Carrier Battles there are so many calculations occuring, probably hundreds, that I think showing every die roll would slow down gameplay to an unacceptable extent. Much as I like authenticity, there are some some aspects of cardboard wargaming that would be tedious if translated to the digital format. I'd say that the streamlining applied here is a good compromise.
05-29-2016, 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stronsay View Post
It's a recurring decision - how many aircraft to send on search and how many to keep ready for an effective attack. I presently send 4 on search from each carrier; with some spacing between them this gives a fairly large search area. I should experiment with larger numbers.

An interesting point is raised regarding comparison with the historical events. I have only scant knowledge in this regard so I really need to download a book on the subject, and this will surely add much to my experience of the game. If anyone has book suggestions please let me know, and I'll start reading right after I finish my current book - Four Days at Waterloo - (Napoleonic tactics not being much help in Pacific fleet battles).
Two recommendations I've had are
Richard B. Frank - Guadalcanal the definitive account of the Landmark Battle which is an overall picture and also Neptunes Inferno by James D. Hornfischer which is more focused on the sea battle
I'll certainly be checking them both out. Hope this helps.

Game Centre I.D - Scarypharaoh
05-29-2016, 08:10 AM
Version 1.1.1 is coming in a few days, according to official forum

Quote:
  • Fixes discrepancies between the rules and the code about AA fire
  • Strategic bombers must be immune to light AA
  • Attacking bombers must get a malus against enemy ships light AA
  • The malus for torpedo bombers has been doubled

• The damage & repair rule is unlocked once you have achieved the search tutorial
  • Bug fix for the First Carrier Battle tutorial: US airstrikes were vanishing after losing all US carriers
  • Bug fix: the Home button was doing nothing on the historical scenarios screen
  • Bug fix: Japanese search planes could be seen in a US search area
  • minor fixes

The Unofficial Touch Arcade's Captain Slow(TM)

Honestly, I was never terribly good at games. - Finch (PoI S2E16)
05-29-2016, 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarypharaoh View Post
Two recommendations I've had are
Richard B. Frank - Guadalcanal the definitive account of the Landmark Battle which is an overall picture and also Neptunes Inferno by James D. Hornfischer which is more focused on the sea battle
I'll certainly be checking them both out. Hope this helps.
Thanks scarypharoah. They both look excellent. Will initially download Neptunes Inferno in view of the focus on the sea battles.