★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
06-07-2017, 03:31 PM
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 377
Ahhhh, sooo many consecutive updates and still no phone support! Every time I see an update i'm hopeful I can play on my phone, especially because they recently said early summer for phone suppory lol. I am so abxious to start playing this again as it is suuch a good card game. Please put a hussle on the phone support; you guys will instantly have a new huge player base too.
06-08-2017, 04:56 AM
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 3,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tychaeus View Post
Ahhhh, sooo many consecutive updates and still no phone support! Every time I see an update i'm hopeful I can play on my phone, especially because they recently said early summer for phone suppory lol.
Bethesda will likely give the ETA for the phone client at E3; even if not, we'll not see release before then.

On the topic of E3, in addition to the big expansion (non-storyline, more cards than Fall of the Dark Brotherhood) and possible mobile news, Pete Hines has also teased another big something for TESL to be revealed in Bethesda's presentation.

That, plus the very positive Steam response likely means good times ahead.

Vocalist of Neverlast
Game Center/OpenFeint/Plus+/[insert arbitrary game network, online character or multiplayer account here]: Ayjona

06-09-2017, 06:59 AM
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayjona View Post
Bethesda will likely give the ETA for the phone client at E3; even if not, we'll not see release before then.

On the topic of E3, in addition to the big expansion (non-storyline, more cards than Fall of the Dark Brotherhood) and possible mobile news, Pete Hines has also teased another big something for TESL to be revealed in Bethesda's presentation.

That, plus the very positive Steam response likely means good times ahead.
Awesome, E3 is soob right? Im alrdy getting all kinda emails etc. but...why waste E3 for announcing phone support...guess could be just a side note
07-02-2017, 06:45 PM
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 190
Is anyone from these forums still enjoying this, or is everyone waiting on the iPhone version. I ask because I just started playing. So far, so good. We'll see how it goes.

What's the consensus on this vs. Hearthstone?
07-02-2017, 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shfrost View Post
Is anyone from these forums still enjoying this, or is everyone waiting on the iPhone version. I ask because I just started playing. So far, so good. We'll see how it goes.

What's the consensus on this vs. Hearthstone?
I'm far more into this than Hearthstone right now but I'm still playing both.

Hearthstone is second to none for aesthetics, but I think this game is so much more diverse and yet more balanced somehow. I don't know how they do it. Maybe it's the 50+ card decks that allow for more card and strategy exploration. And the lanes and runes are genius.

Hopefully this game will have some staying power. The Twitch drop system is crazy generous. Wonder how long that will last.
07-02-2017, 07:31 PM
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofg View Post
I'm far more into this than Hearthstone right now but I'm still playing both.

Hearthstone is second to none for aesthetics, but I think this game is so much more diverse and yet more balanced somehow. I don't know how they do it. Maybe it's the 50+ card decks that allow for more card and strategy exploration. And the lanes and runes are genius.

Hopefully this game will have some staying power. The Twitch drop system is crazy generous. Wonder how long that will last.
Thanks, House. I'm just finishing up the tutorial and liking it quite a lot. I know I haven't even scratched the surface. I'm an old-school MTG player but haven't played in years. I also got Hearthstone when it first came out but haven't played that in years either. Never really gave it a good shot, I must say. Perhaps it's time to revisit that one. I'd love to somehow rediscover the thrill of the early Magic days, so I'm on the hunt for the cream of the crop, preferably narrowing that down to a single title.
07-03-2017, 08:53 PM
Here you go, shfrost: https://www.channelfireball.com/arti...magic-players/
Definitely think you should check this out.
07-04-2017, 03:08 AM
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofg View Post
Here you go, shfrost: https://www.channelfireball.com/arti...magic-players/
Definitely think you should check this out.
Thanks, House!
07-04-2017, 08:15 PM
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 3,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by shfrost View Post
What's the consensus on this vs. Hearthstone?
While TESL is a an blatant evolution of the HS paradigm, the more flexible deck construction rules (matching of any two attributes - akin to dual-color Magic decks - instead of picking a class), 50 card deck size, lane system, rune mechanics, dramatically smaller presence of RNG effects, dev responsiveness to feedback and willingness to frequently rebalance cards to keep the meta varied and broad, more intricate card texts/mechanics/design and larger design space (which the devs are already expanding the boundaries of) lead to a much more sophisticated and skill-focused experience.

TESL is not the only new card game to offer a more hardcore and tactical alternative to HS (Duelyst, Faeria, Eternal and possibly Gwent come to mind), but it offers the best mix of developer investment, polish, innovation and traditional CCG gameplay I’ve found. That it has an extensively realized setting to go with is a nice bonus, and the devs make very good use of the Elder Scroll IP to create atmosphere (in as far as any CCG does).

I’m currently hyping myself up for the LCG release of Legend of the Five Rings - the first physical card game I’ll invest into for decades, since Magic, Netrunner and a brief Call of Cthulhu stint just before it’s cancellation - and while L5R is an almost literally infinitely more complex behemoth than TESL, Fantasy Flight’s process, design principles and approach to mechanical diversity reminds me a lot of Dire Wolf’s work on TESL from closed beta to current day. That’s one of the best indications I could imagine that TESL players are in good hands.

Great TESL guide for Magic players! A quick note on the colors, though - they are not even superficial equivalents. Yellow/Willpower might be the most Magic-like (to White) in its token and creature buff strategies. But Willpower also has a decided MtG Black slant in its direct removal, debuff and flexible answers game. Not to mention the pilfer and general monk business, which doesn’t really belong in any Magic color.

And Purple/Endurance is only thematically Black-like, plus the odd graveyard interaction. It’s tempo game veers much closer to Green*, its ramp game doesn’t really have a MtG equivalent, and some of its answers and soft removal mostly resemble Magic’s Blue. And it only becomes more complex from there on.

* Unlike TESL’s own Green/Agility, which is decidely Red in some aspects - a commonality shared by TESL’s Blue/Intelligence but in regards to direct/face damage instead - Black in some, and split unevenly across the other Magic colors in theme and style.

(Should there be a desire for it, I can type up a quick false equivalency guide to the colours in TESL versus Magic.)

Vocalist of Neverlast
Game Center/OpenFeint/Plus+/[insert arbitrary game network, online character or multiplayer account here]: Ayjona