★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
07-02-2017, 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shfrost View Post
Is anyone from these forums still enjoying this, or is everyone waiting on the iPhone version. I ask because I just started playing. So far, so good. We'll see how it goes.

What's the consensus on this vs. Hearthstone?
I'm far more into this than Hearthstone right now but I'm still playing both.

Hearthstone is second to none for aesthetics, but I think this game is so much more diverse and yet more balanced somehow. I don't know how they do it. Maybe it's the 50+ card decks that allow for more card and strategy exploration. And the lanes and runes are genius.

Hopefully this game will have some staying power. The Twitch drop system is crazy generous. Wonder how long that will last.
07-02-2017, 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofg View Post
I'm far more into this than Hearthstone right now but I'm still playing both.

Hearthstone is second to none for aesthetics, but I think this game is so much more diverse and yet more balanced somehow. I don't know how they do it. Maybe it's the 50+ card decks that allow for more card and strategy exploration. And the lanes and runes are genius.

Hopefully this game will have some staying power. The Twitch drop system is crazy generous. Wonder how long that will last.
Thanks, House. I'm just finishing up the tutorial and liking it quite a lot. I know I haven't even scratched the surface. I'm an old-school MTG player but haven't played in years. I also got Hearthstone when it first came out but haven't played that in years either. Never really gave it a good shot, I must say. Perhaps it's time to revisit that one. I'd love to somehow rediscover the thrill of the early Magic days, so I'm on the hunt for the cream of the crop, preferably narrowing that down to a single title.

07-03-2017, 08:53 PM
Here you go, shfrost: https://www.channelfireball.com/arti...magic-players/
Definitely think you should check this out.
07-04-2017, 03:08 AM
Quote:
Here you go, shfrost: https://www.channelfireball.com/arti...magic-players/
Definitely think you should check this out.
Thanks, House!
07-04-2017, 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shfrost View Post
What's the consensus on this vs. Hearthstone?
While TESL is a an blatant evolution of the HS paradigm, the more flexible deck construction rules (matching of any two attributes - akin to dual-color Magic decks - instead of picking a class), 50 card deck size, lane system, rune mechanics, dramatically smaller presence of RNG effects, dev responsiveness to feedback and willingness to frequently rebalance cards to keep the meta varied and broad, more intricate card texts/mechanics/design and larger design space (which the devs are already expanding the boundaries of) lead to a much more sophisticated and skill-focused experience.

TESL is not the only new card game to offer a more hardcore and tactical alternative to HS (Duelyst, Faeria, Eternal and possibly Gwent come to mind), but it offers the best mix of developer investment, polish, innovation and traditional CCG gameplay I’ve found. That it has an extensively realized setting to go with is a nice bonus, and the devs make very good use of the Elder Scroll IP to create atmosphere (in as far as any CCG does).

I’m currently hyping myself up for the LCG release of Legend of the Five Rings - the first physical card game I’ll invest into for decades, since Magic, Netrunner and a brief Call of Cthulhu stint just before it’s cancellation - and while L5R is an almost literally infinitely more complex behemoth than TESL, Fantasy Flight’s process, design principles and approach to mechanical diversity reminds me a lot of Dire Wolf’s work on TESL from closed beta to current day. That’s one of the best indications I could imagine that TESL players are in good hands.

Great TESL guide for Magic players! A quick note on the colors, though - they are not even superficial equivalents. Yellow/Willpower might be the most Magic-like (to White) in its token and creature buff strategies. But Willpower also has a decided MtG Black slant in its direct removal, debuff and flexible answers game. Not to mention the pilfer and general monk business, which doesn’t really belong in any Magic color.

And Purple/Endurance is only thematically Black-like, plus the odd graveyard interaction. It’s tempo game veers much closer to Green*, its ramp game doesn’t really have a MtG equivalent, and some of its answers and soft removal mostly resemble Magic’s Blue. And it only becomes more complex from there on.

* Unlike TESL’s own Green/Agility, which is decidely Red in some aspects - a commonality shared by TESL’s Blue/Intelligence but in regards to direct/face damage instead - Black in some, and split unevenly across the other Magic colors in theme and style.

(Should there be a desire for it, I can type up a quick false equivalency guide to the colours in TESL versus Magic.)

Vocalist of Neverlast
Game Center/OpenFeint/Plus+/[insert arbitrary game network, online character or multiplayer account here]: Ayjona
07-26-2017, 02:35 PM
iPhone time.

Not sure it's for me but I'll give it a whirl!

Edit: Aww, maintainance? Premature excitement.

Last edited by MetaGonzo; 07-26-2017 at 02:38 PM.
07-29-2017, 07:28 PM
Finished single player story mode. Since then, I've been creating decks and testing them against the AI in practice mode (adept level). Almost every deck or strategy approach is perfectly matched and countered. I've only won a single Adept-level practice.
AI always has the card(s) it needs at the proper time. It never has a bad hand, like full of items without characters, or full of high-cost cards in early game, etc. If you buff attack/defense, it's almost guaranteed AI has the perfect, low cost card to counter it, even when it has an empty hand and just draws it at start of turn.
I can't do real-time PvP matches on a *mobile* game. (By the way, why would they make that the only free option? I work with animals; I don't have an interruption-free life, even at home!). So, arenas are the only place I can play to win rewards. And I'm not risking the only gold I have until I know I have a tested deck with a fair chance.
07-30-2017, 03:27 AM
Quote:
The Twitch drop system is crazy generous. Wonder how long that will last.
What is the 'Twitch drop system'?
07-30-2017, 06:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmanj View Post
What is the 'Twitch drop system'?
When you link your Bethesda account with your twitch account and watch elder scrolls legends streams, you get ingame rewards