The Quest - official Mission Pack 'Islands of Ice and Fire'

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Chillingo, Apr 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chillingo

Chillingo Well-Known Member

COMING SOON - "The Islands of Ice and Fire" is designed as an official expansion pack for The Quest.

You can continue to play The Quest with your existing character(s) to explore new areas and quests after you've purchased the mission pack. However, if you don't have The Quest, you can also play the expansion as a standalone game, consisting of the expansion areas.

Expected launch price is 3.99 USD

mpshot1.jpg
    mpshot2.jpg
    mpshot3.jpg
    mpshot4.jpg
    mpshot5.jpg

2. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Ok so I guess I really need to get on with my quest playing. Everytime I try I get lost, then get in a fight, and then finally....I die:( I haven't played an RPG since FFXII which was ehhh. So my skills are pretty horrendous:)

3. pennydreadful

pennydreadful Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Thus far, "The Quest" has not only been my favorite Itouch game...but my favorite game on any platform. I'm really excited about the upcoming expansion pack and happy to hear that we'll be able to import our characters from the existing game.

If the expansion pack is successful is there any chance that subsequent packs will be released?

4. greenhornet9

greenhornet9 Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2009
    It's cool there's an expansion and all but I don't think I'm gonna get it because I would have to pay for it. :(

5. Spiral75

Spiral75 Well-Known Member

This is awesome! I am sad to say that I have not gotten so far in the Quest....but it is my favorite RPG game so far on iphone.

The new expansion looks amazing. Graphics look great. I am curious.....

1. If you have The Quest already, and want to continue the character you are playing. Will you have to WORK your way to the new areas? as opposed to....

2. If you DONT have The Quest....you can just start off in the new areas?

6. Elendil / Redshift

Elendil / Redshift Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    1. The new areas will be instantly accessible. However, they have been designed for high level characters, so it is advised that you complete the base game first. :)

2. If you don't have the Quest, you'll only be able to play in the expansion areas with a pregenerated high level character.

This expansion has not been originally designed to be a standalone game, because it was created before we ported the Quest to the iphone. That option will only be available to satisfy Apple's policy about iphone apps. :)

7. Myrobotwillneverdie

Myrobotwillneverdie Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    SEPDX
    Already?!?! I'm soooooo excited!! I've beat the quest 3 times now, and with my current charactar I go back every few days to re-kill monsters all over freymore to level-up to this ungodly level in anticipation for the expansion.:D

Thanks for making this so quickly after the first!!!

8. CandyNJ66

CandyNJ66 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    I'm a huge fan of The Quest, so I am psyched to hear about the expansion pack!!

9. Myrobotwillneverdie

Myrobotwillneverdie Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    SEPDX
    Soooo, any details on what "coming soon" means?

10. Elendil / Redshift

Apr 14, 2009
    The expansion is designed for level 14/15 characters. :)

Within a month, hopefully. It really depends on Apple. We hope they will not find faults with the way we enabled the expansion to "enable" itself in the base game.

11. bommoom

bommoom Active Member

Dec 5, 2008
    I don't have THE QUEST but if I bought it and wanted the expansion I'd have to pay another 3.99? It's not an update right?

12. Elendil / Redshift

Apr 14, 2009
    Yes, it's not an update. It's a very large expansion with around 30-40 hours of gameplay.

13. snow_mani

snow_mani Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    YAY! Awesome news! I can't wait for the expansion pack. :)

14. greenhornet9

greenhornet9 Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2009
    thats a pretty huge expansion. Thats almost as big as the original game i think...

15. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    The original which is great has 40 hours of gameplay. With the expansion pack, we'll be lucky to see you short of 2 weeks. :eek:

Please remember to take showers during that time.

16. snow_mani

snow_mani Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    The original game is massive so yes, the expansion pack is almost just as large as the original game.

17. crimson.

crimson. Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    I don't have one...
    In AMERICA.
    Will the expansion have map that tells us where to go???

18. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Great news! "Ice and Fire", eh? Is this a homage by any chance? In any case, I am glad that Redshift found a way to port the expansion.

Re: Daggerfall, I don't know how enjoyable it would be now. I mean, it is pretty unfinished and buggy. Also, all the cookie-cutter randomness and database dialog may be difficult to take after "The Quest". It is very expansive and has some grand ideas, but implementation is not that great, IMHO.

19. iGewappnet

iGewappnet Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Mainz, Germany
    I still don't get how the expansion will work. We buy a second app and install this second app (which is bad because this means to delete another app). The second app (expansion) will access the character data of the other app. But is there a connection of the first app to the second app? What do you mean by "enable itself in the base game"? And can I delete the base app after the transfer of the character to the expansion app?

Maybe you should also include the expansion in the base game but locked. If someone can proof to you he bought the expansion app, he will get the unlock code. This way you would satisfy Apple and give us ONE app including both. As long as we are very, very restricted on the number of installable apps, every unnecessary app icon is a real pain.

20. Elendil / Redshift

Apr 14, 2009
    #20 Elendil / Redshift, Apr 29, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
    Thats how it will work. It's a rather simple concept, but I will write the steps needed to play instead of trying to explain it (which can get confusing). :)

If you have The Quest:
    • purchase the expansion
    • start the expansion
    • select "Enable expansion in The Quest"
    • The Quest starts (automatically), the expansion becames enabled
    • you exit The Quest (and can now delete the expansion app)
    • you can play The Quest and the expansion (by starting The Quest app)
    There is no need to transfer saved games.

If you don't have The Quest:
    • purchase the expansion
    • start and play the expansion

Of course the expansion can be enabled in The Quest any time, even if you've played the expansion standalone.