Official TOKI TORI Upcoming Thread (Now To Be Published by CHILLINGO!)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by superbad, Apr 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    There are tons of where's Toki Tori threads. Basically, it's still being developed but Chillingo just announced on their Twitter account that they'll now be publishing Toki Tori! :eek:

Chillingo swoops in EVERY big upcoming title.

2. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    YAY! Any news on the release, gameplay, etc.?

3. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    Front page article. :)

I actually look forward to this game.

4. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    Well yeah I saw that,,,,but the release date? Very curious about when this wonderfully looking game will come out.

5. anduril_ukr

anduril_ukr Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Student
    New Jersey
    this game really looks like it could be great.

6. writingsama

writingsama Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    I will say this:

1) It was originally a gameboy color game, which may worry you about the controls? don't! here's why:
    2) I played it on WiiWare
    3) I LOVED IT TO PIECES
    4) I used the wiimote-pointer interface, and it worked very well, with ONE EXCEPTION
    5) that exception was an EXTREMELY tightly timed level, that it just wasn't precise enough, but I eventually did it, and that was the only, isolated problem, the pointer interface was good 99.9999999% of the time
    6) If the touch controls are anything like the wii-mote controls, this game won't be another crappy port, it'll be a really, really fun/unique puzzler for the iphone

on the Wii I felt like it was The Lost Vikings minus some of the fun (due to the GBC being much more limited than the hardware that The Lost Vikings was made on, but it made up for it in other ways and was still very fun) but on the iPhone the pacing seems much more sensible. I predict it will be a 10/10 game. The devs took a lot of care with the controls on the Wii, I'm sure they will on the iphone too.

7. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
  8. gscal

gscal Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    It was a good WiiWare title, but can they pull it off on iPhone?

9. ericxd

ericxd Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    can someone tell me why dun developers JUST publish the game since they MADE it, why they have to get a publisher that dun do shiiiit at all get part of what they made???!?!?!

10. writingsama

Dec 4, 2008
    Chillingo has made a name for themselves. Most of the titles they publish turn a profit. People follow them on twitter, and look out for what they're doing. Yes they're a "man in the middle," but they are much less expensive than alternative marketing routes. Most people associate "chillingo" with good games.

Also, IIRC, they often lend resources such as devs that are familiar with iphone development, artists, etc. that can help a 1-person game programmer out a LOT, help them make a 3-star into a 5-star game just with art assets and other various assistance

11. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    Depends.

If your game blows up into a huge success, they take out a bigger piece of your cake. But then again, there is a smaller chance of your app blowing app had you published yourself.

12. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    #12 arta, Apr 8, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
    SlideToPlay and Toucharcade have videos of the game on the iPhone. It looks good.

13. iGame

iGame Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Why do people want Chillingo to publish their games...? Cant they just submit it themselves o_O

14. writingsama

Dec 4, 2008
    why can't people read an 11-message thread? can't they just read the thread and see that the question has been asked, answered and discussed already, all in the first 11 messages?

15. ericxd

ericxd Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    k i get it,Chilllingo has a name. But not all of their games are appealing.

Doesnt it make more sense if ur game is GOOD, for example DEV from iShoot, wouldnt the game sells itself?

Is not like i even look at 'whos' the publisher before i purchase, I dun go 'oh iDracula by Chillingo, must be a good game...'
    Im more like 'iDracula looks sick, im buying it'

make sense?

16. TheOZ

TheOZ Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    The problem the appstore has is its limited visibility, imo I think apple could make some small changes to the app store in order for customers to easily find a game they're interested in without going on a massive hunt maybe instead of the traditional eight apps they have under the "News and Noteworthy" and "Whats Hot" categories they could have maybe sixteen maybe even an "Underdog/Most Overlooked category" just to boost visibility. Honestly before I found toucharcade and other places which help point out the decent apps and the apps to watch for I would spend more then enough time trying to find some good games for my iPod Touch.

Chillingo gives you that visibility boost showing off games with maybe not a huge amount of money to spend campaigning and marketing. The publisher is basically your manager. You do all the creating and the publisher promotes it and makes it happen.

I've heard adds cost more then a pretty penny so it's good for those people with a sort tight/limited budget or who just don't want to deal with the hassle of promoting their product after it's finished.

And another reason i've been going over in my head is that they would want a publisher because they aren't too sure how their app will do so maybe they don't have to pay the extra hundred dollars just to submit their app to the App Store and have it be a dud that would be $100 down the drain, but I don't know just a thought.

17. randomdude

randomdude Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
  18. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    When the hell is this game coming out?!? Back in February I read an article saying the same damn "Toki Torio... Hatching Soon" garbage that I've been seeing ever since. Then, out of nowhere, this wonderful news is revealed 10 days ago that it will be out "soon".
    My question... what the hell is "soon"!?!? They used "soon" 2 months ago and now are using it again. I just want to play the damn game :p

19. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    I read somewhere it was May, will double check that.

20. Swordplay

Swordplay Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Chicago
    I can't wait! I played the game on my friends wii and loved it!