IPad vs Ipad Mini

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by JaysUsernam, May 31, 2013.

1. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    I'm not sure that was really confirmation, more his opinion. As a heavy reader I can read for a lot longer on a retina device before my eyes start to bug out, and that's talking the same size screens. An ipad is a similar size to an open paperback while reading so suits me fine for commute.

But there's no rights or wrongs, people have to go for what they're most comfortable with.

2. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    While playing KOTOR, I find I wish I had a mini instead of my iPad 2. I think the lighter weight would be a very nice thing, plus it would look better due to the higher pixel density. Now I haven't actually been able to try it. Maybe the text is too small?

3. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    There's a difference between honestly and fairly outlining pros and cons to somebody looking to make a decision between a 4th-gen iPad and an iPad mini, and clear post-purchase rationalisation mainly intended to convince yourself that you made the right decision. Just provide the facts, and comparative images if relevant and available, and leave the hyperbole at the door.

• "The iPad mini's screen is smaller, lower-resolution and shows less detail than that of the full-sized iPad." - Objective; measurement and observation show this to be true.
    • "Don't buy it; it's blurry and unreadable." - Subjective; clearly not universally agreed upon.

• "The full-sized iPad is heavier than the iPad mini." - Objective; measurement of weight shows this to be true.
    • "Don't buy it; it's too heavy to take everywhere." - Subjective; clearly not universally agreed upon.

If you leave such recommendations to simple opinion, threads tend to devolve into the automatic gainsaying of anything the other camp says, much in the vein of the Monty Python argument sketch:

"The iPad is really too heavy to take out of the house."
    "No it isn't; I take mine everywhere without issue."

"The iPad mini's screen is too low-res, and text is difficult to read."
    "I find that text is very easy to read, actually."

"It's uncomfortable playing action games on a full-sized iPad."
    "Not really. I can play them for hours without any problem."

"The iPad mini isn't powerful enough to play the latest games with all features turned on."
    "Sure it is; I play them all at full speed."

Which is great if you want to get absolutely nowhere.

Based on this thread and others like it, it seems some people choose to interpret the identification of the iPad mini's inferior hardware as a personal attack, as though they believe the argument being made is that their choice of purchase somehow implies that they are inferior, cheap or a fool. If the iPad mini works for you (as it apparently does for some in this thread), then good for you – nobody's difference of opinion is going to take that away from you.

Choosing to overlook its technical shortcomings for whatever reason doesn't somehow change the actual hardware specifications of the thing, though; the devices (latest model iPad and iPad mini) are simply not equivalently powerful, and don't perform at the same level, so pretending that they do doesn't do anybody any favours. You might accept the tradeoff of a lower-quality screen and processor, but that acceptance doesn't then somehow make them as good as higher-quality ones. That the iPad mini sacrifices performance and visual quality for an increase in portability simply isn't in question; the only thing that is in question is how much you value one over the other, and that doesn't require exaggeration intended to reinforce choice-supportive bias.

Board and card games especially are demonstrably better served by the larger, higher-resolution screen: comparing Ascension running on both a Retina-based iPad and an iPad mini provides a solid example of this, where unzoomed card text that is clear on the iPad is largely illegible on the mini. Books are also superior on the full-sized iPad because the page size and clarity of text help to reduce eye strain over extended periods of reading. (Some state preference for the mini here for the weight, but then, if simple weight of the device were the key factor, surely we would all be reading e-books on the even lighter, relatively higher-resolution iPod Touch. Snarksnark. :p)

Which device somebody chooses might come down to personal preference, but assuming price isn't an issue (if somebody is considering both devices, we can assume it's not), then it is certainly worth noting that the only benefit the current iPad mini brings to the table is that it is half the weight of the full-sized iPad. It is inferior in every other core technical specification, which is not a value judgement or subjective interpretation, but a simple statement of fact, so it is entirely unnecessary to become defensive when this is pointed out.

As for the 4th-gen iPad, it weighs a mere 650 grams spread over an area less than 1cm high and smaller than a piece of A4 paper. To put things in perspective, I'm a 5'5", 62kg gal and I can easily hold and use one for a couple of hours without putting it down or resting it (usually when travelling), and carry it most of the day if need be, so yes, I'm both bemused by and sceptical of people who act like doing so is some kind of Herculean task.

4. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Just buy whichever you want, geez. We already know the the mini is lighter and smaller, that the iPad is more powerful and has a prettier screen. Anything else is just personal preference and, as the poster above me out it, quite subjective and based on what you want to do with it.

Me? My iPad stays at home on my dresser, I watch a good amount of movies on the thing, read a good deal, browse the Internet, email and game on it, with occasional messing around with photos, video editing - that's where the GPU and RAM really come in handy for me. I like the fact that when I game, I alway get extremely stable framerates and very impressive eye candy. Portability isn't really an issue for me, I rarely take it out of the house and usually sit down on the couch when I use it for extended periods.

I think the question is whether to wait for the new releases - iOS 7 and the iPad mini 2/iPad 5th gen.

5. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I just read the latest, not disputed by Cupertino news, iPad 5 and iPad Mini 2 will come during Christmas 2013... No signs of the retina iPad Mini yet. :(

I suspect Apple is killing the golden iPad goose with its unstable release schedule. 3 iPads throughout last year, and only 2 at the end of this year. I preferred their annual releases when
    Steve Jobs was around. At least it was easier to budget and plan for.

6. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    I'd be surprised if we were to see a repeat of 2012 any time soon, to be honest, as the 4th-gen iPad is clearly what the 3rd-gen was supposed to be, which is why it was released so soon after the 3rd, and why the latter was so incredibly quickly discontinued (even the original iPad lasted longer, and the iPad 2 is still in production). I don't foresee Apple making the mistake of releasing such a lopsided device as the 3rd-gen again in the near future.

7. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    I have 3 words for you, iPad Mini 2.

When that launches without retina, again, it will be iPad 3 redux...

8. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    That game is obviously not optimised to run on iOS. It looks more like a PC roguelike that was just straight ported to iPad. So that game is the last one you should use as an example of the functionality of various screen sizes in the iPad or iPad Mini.

9. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Doesn't matter, it's still an example of where an iPad would be preferable to an iPad Mini ;)

Try Starfront: Collision, Land Air Sea Warfare, or pretty much any RTS. Or just watch a movie. There's no denying that the screen size discrepancy is obvious and makes a big difference for certain activities.

10. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Actually, there is a very meaningful choice to make. Price. I can afford a Mini and still get all the games that I currently want for it. If I get any of the full size iPads above the 2, I won't be able to get any apps, at least not right away. And that is what matters to me, as I've been waiting long enough as it is to get any kind of iPad.

11. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I agree about RTS games and this includes Tower defense games too, and card games as well, will play so much better on a larger screen. That said, im not a big RTS fan at all, nor a tower defense fan. So my opinion would lie more true on games that handle pretty well on the mini.

Ended up abandoning my ipad3 (and decided to give it to my father-in-law) as the minipad proved to be of more worth to me than the retina pad.

But the the points above are all still purely subjective.

12. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Not the same thing. If Apple had waited until the mini had a Retina screen and the hardware to make proper use of it before releasing it, there still wouldn't have been one at all until the end of this year (if at all), which means they would have lost money and market share, and they made a lot of money on the device precisely because so many people wanted it and there wasn't anything quite like it in Apple's existing lineup (the 3rd-gen iPad was still an iPad, and people who already had one weren't necessarily inclined to "upgrade").

After the mess in 2012, I find it very unlikely that they'd go ahead and push out a pointless second Retina-free mini, or a "3rd-gen-style" iPad mini 2 that doesn't actually have the hardware to power its Retina screen optimally, but I guess we'll burn that bridge when we come to it. ^_-

13. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    Burn the Bridges HD :)

That is a catchy app title. I wonder why no developer had sold that game yet?

14. indalico

indalico Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    ohio
    I think it's a bit too early for me to decide between the new mini and ipad 5. I'm really planning on getting one of the new ipads, and should be able to afford the ipad 5.

I really hope Apple doesn't screw up the mini. I'd like to go the cheap route, but I don't want another badly inferior product like I already have.

15. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    Ill probably get a mini at some point in the future, to use as a handheld mainly. i love my ipad 2 and not planning to sell it but the size of the mini does fit much more comfy holding it like a console pad so when it gets 128gb and a beefier processor Ill get one.

I really dont think retina makes such a difference on the bigger screens, I seem to noticed much much more on the smaller devices. I do have an ipad 4 and it has an amazing screen for sure with some games looking incredibke beautiful on It, its just something that would not have weight on my purchase decision.

16. 3n+r0py

3n+r0py Active Member

Jan 20, 2013
    Philippines
    I own both a mini and an ipad 2, and I use the mini more because of portability.

Like those who posted before, being able to hold the mini in one hand for long periods of time is a definite win, a trade off worth lacking the retina, beefier cpu and larger screen estate. It still performs as fast as the ipad 2 anyway. Cheaper than a full sized ipad too.

The ipad 4 definitely has more horsepower and that large, nice retina screen, so go with that if you're more concerned with having those.

17. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    whipped haarrrrrrrrrd

:)

18. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    You're correct about it being a PC game, but there is one very good reason to use it as an example...

...it's one of the best damn games you could ever hope to play on iPad.

19. Enriana

Enriana Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2011
    East Coast, US
    Personally, I have an iPad Mini with no intention of getting a full size iPad. Aside from the games, everything I would want/need an iPad to do I can do with my computer - and its size would mean it'd end up on a stand on my desk, right next to my computer. I do have an iPhone, and can (and do) enjoy iOS games on it. Essentially for me, iPads were nifty but I'd never use them enough to justify the price.

However, I have a messenger bag that comes with me everywhere. My Kindle fits perfectly into it. After seeing the size of the iPad Mini and handling it - helping a friend solve the "four pictures and a word" game, of all things ;) - I had a renewed interest in getting an iPad, one that'd fit just as well in my bag as a Kindle and would be just as portable.

I went home, I did my research and read all the articles/blogs/websites about the Mini that I could get my hands on, and decided to get it. The only hesitation I had wasn't iPad vs Mini, but whether to wait for the iPad Mini 2. (I'm glad I didn't wait, though if the Mini 2 has retina I might sulk a little.)

This is, of course, just my personal opinion & experience. YMMV, and all of that. But I wanted to contribute as someone who wouldn't (and didn't) buy an iPad until the Mini caught my eye. Otherwise, I'd be perfectly happy with my PC and my iPhone.

20. CaptLudd

CaptLudd Well-Known Member

May 1, 2013
    My advice is yo buy the newest device you can afford. Buying a mini or ipad 2 and you will find ourself orphaned out quicker than a ipad 4 or a newer ipad mini when they are available. I have a mini which i bought december of last year love it but am already seeing games like Xcom that rate it as the lowest common denominator for use. Btw that game runs just fine on mine but the forums are full of complaints on the mini and ipad 2'. As always YMMV this is IMHO.