Anyone knows about work with Chillingo?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by mikeawss, Mar 3, 2012.

1. mikeawss

mikeawss Member

Mar 2, 2012
    Right now I am considering to work with Chillingo to promote my app. Anyone knows the revenue sharing of Chillingo? And...If Chillingo publish my app, can I take the right back to publish the game?

2. mikeawss

mikeawss Member

Mar 2, 2012
    and when can I take the right of publish back?
    (i mean the seller title on iTunes)

3. mikeawss

mikeawss Member

Mar 2, 2012
    do you have any suggestions about working with Chillingo? Thanks!

4. mikeawss

mikeawss Member

Mar 2, 2012
    thanks, i'm still gonna choose Chillingo although I am confidence of my game, they have much stronger PR xps than me. I have no idea how to publish efficiently.

5. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    i hope you dont expect proactive pr..

6. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    I hope this is Chillingo paying for most of the dev cost right? If not, I hope you guys are getting a BIG advance for that otherwise, you are fool to give away so much for nothing. Make sure that their PR will be more than just sending a press release and a newsletter.

JC

7. mikeawss

mikeawss Member

Mar 2, 2012
    What do you mean by that?

8. BulletDev

BulletDev Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    produce applications under "Bullet Development"
    Vancouver, BC
    #8 BulletDev, Mar 6, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
    Bullet Skater was at one point signed to Chillingo. The terms vary from deal to deal.

9. DistantJ

DistantJ Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2012
    I'm considering it, I think it could bring a lot more to my app...

10. Moonjump

Moonjump Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    Game designer
    Lincoln, UK
    I see no problem with signing a long term contract for a particular game. I don't think a publisher would want to waste their time with it otherwise. Although there should be opt-out clauses for minimum income, etc.

11. artcue

artcue Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Gamedeveloper, Co-Founder of Artcue
    Vienna, Austria
    a few words....

They have a NDA so we are not allowed to tell you much, just:
    They are nice guys and you can negotiate with them (make sure you do that).
    Make sure you read the contract very carefully and consider things like: do I really want to share my IP and code etc?
    Follow a few of their titels on App Annie...so you can see how much an average titel is really going to make (not their 5 best selling titels)

12. TheGreatWhiteApe

TheGreatWhiteApe Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Games Designer, animator, writer
    Melbourne, Australia
    50%

If they are going to take 50% revenue then I would expect an advertising spend from them in addition to a press release and basic PR.

I think the best thing you can get from an entity like Chillingo though is their experience, they will be able to look at your app and tell you if it will make money or not, and tell you what to fix to make it a success.

100% of nothing isn't much, better to have a percentage of something worthwhile especially if it is one of your first apps.

13. Laiz

Laiz New Member

Apr 5, 2012
    Hello everybody,

I'm developing my first own game, and I intend to work with chillingo after I finish my game.
    Is your game revenue good when working with Chillingo?
    And Does it generate revenue for a long time?

Thanks

14. Tannorexic

Tannorexic Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Student
    Somewhere in the spiritual realm
    Chillingo don't just accept anyone..it has to be a prrty decent app to get published by a decent publisher. Don't count your chickens before they hatch, is what I'm trying to say. Even if you do get published by chillingo, it doesn't guarantee good sales.. Have seen many good games pulled by chillingo due to bad sales, must have been some sort of clause in the contract, hungry penguins was actually a great game, and it was pulled after terrible sales, and relaunched privately under seabirds.. Look at the quality, then it might bring some perspective.. You can get a great sales man to sell your item, but if its a piece of crap, no one will buy it!