Final Fantasy vs. Kemco

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by MrAlbum, Feb 15, 2013.

1. MrAlbum

MrAlbum Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Student
    Alaska
    DISCLAIMER: This is not a thread attempting to prove which dev is better/worse than the other.

I decided to make this thread when I noticed Kemco has released a new RPG on the App Store. This was interesting to me, because I'm doing a nostalgic completionist's run on all the Final Fantasy core games released on the App Store, #1-4. Since I had never played a Kemco game before, I became curious:

How do the games from both these companies compare to each other? Since I've never played a Kemco game, I don't know the answer to that.

So I decided to ask you folks who have played the core FF's on the App Store and played a number of Kemco's titles for an answer, and hopefully generate discussion on JRPG-stuff in general.

The areas for comparison are as follows:

Story
    Controls
    Combat
    Graphics
    Customization
    Music
    Sound FX
    Fun Factor (be subjective as all hell on this one ;) )

Any thoughts? Feel free to share them! Heck, if you want to compare iOS JRPGs in general, feel free to do so! See a category I missed? Add it! I'm all ears here :)

I was just curious to see what comes up, so this could kill my cat, but I'm willing to risk it :)

Sincerely,

Mr. Album

2. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I think of KemCo as the poor man's Final Fantasy. The KemCo games are fun and varied but not as polsihed or quality as the Square Enix golden days. Definitely pick up the KemCo games when you can if your are fond of JRPGs (and they have gone on $0.99 sale). Without KemCo the iOS JRPG marketplace would be nearly barren so they deserve support.

Story - Final Fantasy excells at story and plot; KemCo has serviceable offerings.
    Controls - both are roughly equivilant on iOS.
    Combat - both are roughly equivilant. Combat may be one way that KemCo has an edge because some of their games offer more variety than the Final Fantasy series. Each KemCo title seems to offer a unique twist (DarkGate's job system, one emphasizes items/loot, etc...) while Final Fantasy seems more general.
    Graphics - I often find KemCo graphics to seem generic and derivative.
    Customization -
    Music - N/A (I play in silence)
    Sound FX - N/A (I play in silence)
    Fun Factor - For the value KemCo are mobile native games that are enjoyable; Final Fantasy is the bench mark of JRPG gaming and I consider them to be superior but KemCo makes a valient effort.

3. krautboy

krautboy Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    I agree with most of what deadcow said.
    It's kinda hard to compete with FF's music though,since i find that rather epic.
    Graphics are generic and a bit dull,but strangely apealing. The color palet sets a mood anyway.
    Kemco games have a vibe,you know you're playing one at first sight,but do not share returning characters or worlds. Except alphadia 1&2 for obvious reasons.
    If you're into old school jrpg's you can't really go wrong with kemco.
    My personal favourite is fantasy chronicle for both the story and the battle system,but in the several threads everyone seems to have a different favourite.
    I haven't tried the new one yet,but tomorrow it'l be mine

4. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yeah, Undeadcow pretty much nailed it - but I will say that I still put Kemco up there with Square simply because of the satisfaction I get after completing one of their games. It's definitely up there with FF titles. Also, the plots might be generic, but they're very well written and easy to understand/become immersed in, which is where a lot of other RPG devs fail to hit the mark.

But right now... Kemco is my iOS Square. Because of Kemco, I've heavily gotten into the RPG titles on the iOS, just like because of Square I got heavily into RPGs on the NES+SNES... because of this, I find it hard to not hold Kemco's titles right up there with Square's... =o/

5. krautboy

Apr 20, 2011
    I personally rather play a Kemco game than FF3 or FF4. I just can't get over the overhauled graphics. I really wish there was an option or even a seperate version of the originals. I never owned any nintendo device but it was overhauled for the DS versions?
    I'd pay again for the originals in a heartbeat.

6. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    This is an excellet point; I agree that many of the Square Enix iOS ports, while still "worth it," pale in comparison to their original NES/SNES incarnation. Maybe it's just nostalgia but overhauled graphics and gameplay tweaks designed to be more "accessible" for mobile play (previously PSP) weaken the FF line on iOS. At least with KemCo you're getting the product, such as it is, the way it's developers originally designed and for a fraction of what SE charges (especially with a KemCo $2.99 intro or $0.99 sale).

7. krautboy

Apr 20, 2011
    I don't know if it's really nostalgia.
    My first FF title i ever played was FF9 wich is still my favourite. It was the last FF title to come out for the PSX and it was pushing the boundaries of that console,it was just before the PS2 came out. From that title i went playing the other titles in a non- chronolonic order.
    I enjoyed all of them,and that FF9 is my favourite is mostly due to being the first i played,but also the fantasy theme.
    Point i was gonna make that the first FF title i played was one that was 3d modelled and not 16 bit sprited. Something just feels odd in the overhaul.
    I was pretty old when i got into gaming,as a child i only had a 2600 atari with a whopping 5 games :)
    And today i find myself totally in love with pixel art. Maybe it's not nostalgia,just old age.

8. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Hm... I never played JRPGs until I got into iOS and I loved Final Fantasy III to bits. Worth every cent and more, IMHO.

Couldn't get into FF1, though, and played half of Kemco's Symphony of Eternity before getting bored.
    Between those 2, FF1 has much better music and better art, IMHO, while Symphony has much better interface and a very welcome sense of direction. But to tell the truth, I much prefer Monster RPG2 and/or Ash 1 to both. A minority opinion, I know ;).

9. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Should definitely try Dark Gate or Fantasy Chronicle. Both are top notch Kemco RPGs (while I don't necessarily agree that SOE is boring, I did find it to be one of the more... straightforward RPGs that Kemco has published)

10. krautboy

Apr 20, 2011
    Excellent platform to get into JRPG's. Loads of them and quite cheap. A lot of people have a hard time to get into FF1 with it's lack of direction and a grind that in these days seems to be reserved for KRPG's. FF2 is a lot more accesible,i absolutely love that one.
    I totally agree with Syntheticvoid's recommendations.
    I couldn't get into monster rpg 2, but i noticed with a lot of rpg's if you can't get into them and try them later you're totally hooked. Not always ofcourse,but Ash didn't get me the first time either. Tried it a few months later and loved it.

11. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Isilel makes a great point that to limit iOS JRPG comparisons to Final Fantasy vs KemCo is overlooking a lot. iOS is accessible for small studio creativity. Fall of Angels is another excellent "under the radar"'iOS JRPG. Dragon Fantasy shows a lot of creativity with near constant updating unheard of in the old SE console days. Zeybod Games with Cthulhu Saves the World and Penny Arcade; Guardian Saga; RPG Quest Minimae... ... ...
    Ash 1 is a great iOS JRPG; I'll cosign that recommendation.
    I grew up with Square Enix; as a kid I remember plotting unsuccessfully with my friends to devise a WarMech halloween costume and still have my Dragon Warrior cartridge (I wonder if it's valuable).

12. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    Undeadcow nailed it with his comparison. The production values are better on FF but Kemco's offerings are very competent jrpgs on their own.

Also agree with not liking that much the revamped visuals on ios FF's but it isnt a real issue for me.