Phantom Rift (Bastion+MegaMan Battle Network) - Foursaken Media

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by JCho133, May 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brothamannp11911

brothamannp11911 Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    I think it will be a cool feature for sure, will we be able to see how our mages/wizards/whatever they are called stacked up against others? Like there wins/losses?

2. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Well, the Phantom Rift isn't a typical RPG overworld, so no towns per se, but there are many large themed areas with NPCs that you can trade with, complete quests for, gather back story from, etc.

Though you can't trade with other players' mages, remember you will battle them randomly as you're exploring, and if you win you get one of their spells. We think its a pretty neat, new way to do multiplayer so we're excited to see how it turns out!

3. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    So it's like all that shared world stuff goin around?

4. brothamannp11911

Aug 6, 2011
    So basically, when I defeat JCho's wizard, I get a spell... cool. Guess I'll just follow his wizard around and pummel him continuously ;)

5. jared9876

jared9876 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Dallas TX
    Yeah then as soon as you win and have little health I come in and kill you! Sounds great! ;)

6. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Well, the wizards don't exist in the world like an MMO or something like that :p If anyone is familiar, I guess its actually kind of similar to the multiplayer in Dark Souls, ie of course its primarily a single player game, but every once in a while you can get attacked by someone else. You can't control who you fight or when you fight (but you can turn off the whole multiplayer system if you want to avoid attacking or being attacked). We wanted it to be as passive a system as possible, so no multiplayer menus or anything like that... it all just happens behind the scenes as if it were a regular part of the game, or a regular battle (though obviously you'll be quite aware when you're fighting someone else's wizard).

7. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    All sounds interesting still like everything you put out there so will be keeping an eye on this still.

8. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Hey guys, just wanted to share that we're winding down towards release - the trailer is coming soon and we're really just finalizing a few things - looks like we're tentatively looking to submit in 2-3 weeks! As soon as the game is approved we'll send out a few pre-release codes for our loyal followers and forum contributors as well, so make sure to stay tuned to this thread! :)

[​IMG]

9. qdiddy

qdiddy Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Choo choo! All aboard the hype train!

10. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    I heard loot! How deep of a system are we talking about?

11. YoloMcSwaggin

YoloMcSwaggin Active Member

Nov 7, 2013
    2-3 weeks of torture and pure agony while waiting for the release date.

Another Foursaken Media game for my library.

12. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

There are 6 equipment slots (weapon, head, robes, armor/cape/back, gloves, and gauntlet). Equipment has 5 levels of rarity and can affect one or more of your three primary stats (health, mana, and basic attack damage) + can have all sorts of different passive abilities tied to them (immunity to lava, heal while on grass, etc). Weapons have a primary attack (of which there are several types), and some additionally have a charge attack with different effects (shield, reflect, stun shot, etc). So, visually there are hundreds of pieces of equipment, and from a gameplay perspective there are just about limitless possibilities!

There are also 10 or so special artifacts you can find throughout the game that are kind of like special items.

13. brothamannp11911

Aug 6, 2011
    Man, when you say there are that many visual differences... that must take quite awhile to design.

When you say special artifacts are we talking like The Ultimate Power Sword of Doom or something?

And you are just talking equipment here... 150 spells, too, that makes quite the opportunity to mix and match... Is this going to be, though, if I want to be a Warrior Fire Mage or a Ranger Dark Mage, I can be successful with that play style, or will it be more of a "you will need to have a ice axe of stun" to deal with certain situations, more puzzle-like

14. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

You can be anything you can create and still win. Battles are definitely skill based (with of course a small luck factor with what kind of spells you draw). That being said, some areas and enemies do have inherent weaknesses/advantages (for ex you may want to make sure you have some special spells in your pouch when you're in the fire area).

Also, in Phantom Rift you are always a wizard, so equipment is mostly "wizard-like," though there are things like armor, helms, etc for a less traditional setup. There are some special pieces of equipment as well, but they are related to the story, so I can't give any spoilers :p

15. nicodemus82

nicodemus82 Well-Known Member

Seriously excited for this one! :)

16. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #76 JCho133, Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
    Holy cow, that art is magnificent. Will part of that be used for the app icon?

And hot damn, the equipment system makes me want to drool.

17. SirHanet

SirHanet Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Halifax
    It has been a long time since I came back to a Foursaken Media game and it feels good to be back(Cracks knuckles)! Did somebody say pre-release codes? Ah, I am very much in the competition of getting one but if I don't get one, it won't the end of the world for me! Haha.

18. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    With all the gearing options, it sounds like I'll be sinking another 50+ hours in this like with Monster Adventure. :D
    About the 'deck' thing, is the 5 draw per round from the entire pool of 150 spells you've acquired or do you only carry/equip like 20 at a time and stash the rest? Sounds too RNGish if it's from 150.

19. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Thanks! Yeah, that character will be used for the icon.

Out of all the spell orbs you currently have, you can only take 30 in your pouch (or "deck"), which you then draw from in battle - you can create your 30 spell pouch however you want.

20. Kevd

Kevd Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Sounds ridiculously awesome... but I wouldn't expect anything less from Foursaken