Soosiz - A gravity-defying 2D platformer (submitted)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Touch Foo, Sep 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Touch Foo

Touch Foo Well-Known Member

#1 Touch Foo, Sep 20, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
    Update 09/22/2009: Follow us on Twitter

Another update 09/22/2009: The price will be $2.99.

Update 10/01/2009: Added a new gameplay video.

Have you been waiting for a good 2D platformer for the iPhone or iPod touch?

We at Touch Foo are happy to announce a new game, called Soosiz, coming soon to the App Store. Soosiz has been inspired by many classic platformers. However, it adds an interesting gameplay element by fiddling with the gravity in a unique way.

A video says more than a thousand words:

What makes the gameplay unique, is not the changing gravity alone, but the fact that the "planets" don't actually pull you towards them. The gravity changes only when the player character touches a surface. This opens up a lot of possibilities in level design and gives the player much more freedom.

In the later worlds, when the player has been familiarized with the basic gameplay, we introduce "gravity fields", which enable us to mix traditional platforming and gravity-defying platforming in interesting ways.

[​IMG]
    Large version

[​IMG]
    Large version

[​IMG]
    Large version

More screenshots on our Flickr page

The most important design aspect of Soosiz has been to achieve excellent playability. We experimented with several "iphone style" control schemes like accelerometer and slide-to-move controls, but they couldn't match the precision and simplicity of classical button controls. This is why we chose to use a control system similar to platformers on other devices, but simplified it by removing the up and down keys. Especially for a fast-paced game like Soosiz, this has worked very well. (There is accelerometer control in some special levels, though. ;))

The game has been in active development for over six months, so, needless to say, we are very excited now that it is finally done. Soosiz has already been submitted to Apple, so it could be hitting the store at any time.

Please, feel free to post any comments and questions. We will be happy to answer them all. :)

2. hardcoregamer

hardcoregamer Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Making iPhone games
    touchArcade
    Whoa!!!!!!!

Wow, fantastic! I love platformers, I've gotta think abut getting this one!

3. mebeswordguy

mebeswordguy Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2009
    This looks amazing!

4. Brazilian Rider

Brazilian Rider Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Can somebody please pick my jaw up off the floor?

At first seeing the pics I was skeptical, but then the video started, the amazing music started playing and before long I had that feeling in which I knew my wallet would be empty soon...

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I'm thinking Ynth's control scheme is a better idea.... if I'm forced to use virtual buttons it's easiest to have left on the left and right on the right, pressing one with each thumb.

6. Brazilian Rider

Brazilian Rider Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    I actually DIDN'T like Ynth's control scheme... this looks better IMO.

7. playn

playn Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Australia
    wow looks cool :)

8. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    I have to say I'm really impressed...so how many worlds are there?

@ midiangtx I can definitely see how ynth controls would be good though I see nothing wrong with their current controls...for what it is I think they would be solid

9. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    This way makes it much harder to tell where your thumb is on the left/right buttons. You have to keep making sure it's aligned with the correct one. With Ynth the positioning was good enough that your thumbs were always in the right places. I can see myself pressing in the middle of the two buttons quite a lot on this game.

10. skyye06

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    forgot about people with big thumbs lol...not sure if it will effect too much those will smaller thumbs especially a little kids...

...I forgot is ynth's method to jump a swipe up, then yes that would be a good alternative controls with people with big thumbs

I personally never had a problem with right and left controls like that

11. Goose

Goose Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    looks like gomi

12. Palfince

Palfince Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    Looks like the game has taken a lot of inspiration from Gomi although in my opinion the gameplay of this looks a lot more enjoyable ;)

13. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Ynth has two jump buttons, each above the left and right buttons. I'm not saying this way won't work, it seems similar to Spybot Chronicles which is good enough, but I greatly prefer Ynth's over it.

14. Touch Foo

Touch Foo Well-Known Member

Thank you for all of the comments!

Having the left button on the left side of the screen and the right button on the right side of the screen was one of the first things we tried. While it was easy to pick up, it became problematic when you had to quickly switch the direction and possibly jump at the same time.

With the control system we chose, you can just slide your finger left or right and your other hand is always free to press the jump button. Also, we made the touch areas so large that even people with big thumbs shouldn't worry. ;)

15. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Well, this just jumped to the top of my must-buy list. A Gomi-inspired platformer -- brilliant!

16. weisome

weisome Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Behind You!
    This game looks very nice! Definitely getting this one. :D Although it makes me a little dizzy. :eek:

17. skyye06

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    Has this been already submitted, if so when may I ask?

18. weisome

Jul 9, 2009
    Behind You!
    It is submitted according to the title of the thread. ;) I don't know when, though.

19. skyye06

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    lol how did that pass me by:p

20. weisome

Jul 9, 2009
    Behind You!
    Maybe because you're like everywhere in TA. :p