Blutrol Compatibility list (iCade with non-iCade Games)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by lumothesinner, Jan 11, 2012.

1. lumothesinner

lumothesinner Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2011
    UK
    #1 lumothesinner, Jan 11, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
    In case you didnt know blutrol is a jailbreak tweak that allows you to map iCade buttons to touch screen presses so you can play virtual button games with iCade or iControlPad or similar.
    Since the release of blutrol I have seen a few posts on other forums and some here about compatibility. So lets start one up and let those who are interested know what works, and what doesnt work and any tricks to make something work better. It can also override iCade compatible games profiles so you can replace the layout with your own (probably more useful for controllers that emulate iCade).

In the current release the mapping doesnt work too well with floating dpads as it registers a touch rather than a drag from center, so the touch will usually create a center and then be unable to move in that direction, hopefully a fix is in progress.

Platformer
    Sonic 1
    Sonic 2
    Sonic 4
    Sonic CD
    Paper Monsters
    Shantae Riskys Revenge
    Super Crate Box (profile replacement)
    Terra Noctis (profile replacement)
    The Blocks Cometh
    Frogatto
    Prince of Persia Retro
    Robot Wants Kitty
    Dark Void Zero (has to have the screen flipped from the options menu)
    Bean's Quest Final
    Hook Worlds
    Super Quickhook
    Castle of Magic
    Commander Pixman
    Giana Sisters
    Ghosts'N Goblins Gold Knights
    Earthworm Jim
    Meganoid
    StarDash
    Miner2049er
    Awesome Land
    Super World Adventures
    Soozis HD
    Babylonian Twins HD Premium

Side Scrolling Beat'em'up
    Shinobi 3
    Golden Axe
    Golden Axe 2
    Golden Axe 3
    Streets Of Rage
    Streets Of Rage 2
    Streets Of Rage 3
    Altered Beast
    X-Men
    Double Dragon

Side Scrolling Shooter
    Gunstar Heroes
    Mega Man X
    Mega Man II
    Zombieville USA
    Zombieville USA 2

Pinball
    Sonic Spinball
    Pinball HD
    War Pinball HD
    ACDC Pinball
    Slayer Pinball
    Zen Pinball

Fighting
    Soul Calibur
    Street Fighter 4
    Street Fighter 4 Volt
    Street Fighter 2 Collection
    Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
    King of Fighters i

Arcade
    iMAME (no longer in app store)
    Pac man
    Ms Pac Man
    Pac Man CE
    Pac Mania
    Capcom Arcade (Street Fighter Series, Ghosts/Ghouls and Goblins and Magic Sword all

work, Super Puzzle fighter requires control remapping to work, 1942/1943 do not work)

Turbographx-16 Game Box
    Galaga 30th
    Mr. Driller
    Dragons Lair HD
    Blast Zone Mega
    Radiant
    Elephant Rave
    Monkey Labour
    Space Junk

RPG
    Dungeon Defenders: 2nd Wave
    Aralon Sword and Shadow HD
    The Bards Tale
    Mage Gauntlet
    Secret Of Mana
    Hydrid: Eternal Whisper
    Hybrid 2: Saga Of Nostalgia
    Zenonia
    Zenonia 2
    Zenonia 3
    Zenonia 4
    Illusia
    And basically all KRPGS (too many to list)

3d action
    Samurai II: Vengence
    Samurai II: Dojo
    Devil May Cry 4 Refrain
    Galaxy On Fire 2 HD
    Prince Of Persia: Warrior Within

Racing
    Bike Baron
    Asphalt 6
    Reckless Racing
    Reckless Racing 2
    Reckless Getaway
    Death Rally
    Real Racing
    Real Racing 2
    Motocross Challenge 16 Bits
    Playroom Racer

Runners
    Canabalt
    Jetpack Joyride
    Darkness Rush: Saving Princess
    Dont Run With A Plasma Sword
    Gravity Guy
    Inspector Gadgets Mad Dash
    Whale Trail

Sports
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
    Skater Nation (after screen flip)

Simulation
    Minecraft PE

Puzzle
    Tetris
    Edge Extended
    Karoshi

Emulation
    PSX4all (ps1 emu for jailbreak)

Kind of works
    GTA 3 (floating dpad issue)
    NBA Jam (floating dpad issue)
    FIFA 12 (Floating dpad and button inputs may require swipes)
    Hero of Sparta 2 (not a floating dpad but it has that issue where it needs two inputs before it starts to recognize

them)
    Dungeon Hunter 2 (same thing)
    Space Miner

Doesnt work
    Dragon Lair SD
    Paperboy Special Delivery
    LightBike Online
    Karate Champ
    Grokion (stick doesn't move far enough)
    Robo Rush
    OMG! Pirates

2. Spamcan

Spamcan Well-Known Member

#2 Spamcan, Jan 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
    Working perfectly
    Altered Beast
    Streets of Rage 1/2/3
    The Blocks Cometh
    Commander Pixman
    Mr. AaaH!!
    Princess Fury
    Robot Wants Kitty
    Ms. Pac-Man
    Pac-Mania
    Blast Zone Omega
    Death Rally
    Cheeseman

Working (with issues)
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (joystick is rotated 90 degrees in the wrong direction)
    Mr. Driller (joystick is rotated 90 degrees in the wrong direction)

Not working
    Giana Sisters
    Paperboy Special Delivery
    LightBike Online
    Karate Champ
    Pac-Man CE
    Grokion (stick doesn't move far enough)
    Robo Rush

Sonic 4 is working for me but the joystick is rotated 90 degrees exactly like THPS2. Frogatto has the same issue though the left and right movements can easily be mapped to buttons. Minecraft PE's d-pad, jump button and dig command can all be mapped but looking around can not.

3. lumothesinner

Sep 30, 2011
    UK
    Cheers for all them

For the rotated joystick ones, are you trying to run in portrait or landscape mode?

And what device are you using, cant be your 4s. all my tests have to be done on 3gs atm

4. OneMinuteGames

OneMinuteGames Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2010
    iOS Game Developer
    Well, good to know that Commander Pixman works, but 'real' iCade support will come also.

5. Squablo

Squablo Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2010
    I'm having issues

For some reason, I just can't get Street Fighter 4 Volt, or Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 to work. Other games that I have work just fine, like Zombieville 2, the blocks cometh, jetpack joyride, and others.

The thing that really drives me crazy is the fact that everyone else has street fighter working. I've even seen the videos of it working, but for me it's a no go. Ive tried flipping my iPad orientation, flipping the screenshot in blutrol, reinstalling street fighter, reinstalling blutrol, and just about everything else I can think of with no success. To be honest, I'm starting to go a bit crazy over here trying to figure this out.

Do any of you have any suggestions? 1st gen iPad on 5.0.1 if that helps. I'm hoping this is just something simple I am overlooking, because the main reason I bought blutrol was for street fighter and other fighting games

6. lumothesinner

Sep 30, 2011
    UK
    Ill give it a retest when I can later, let you know what I did to get mine working, bear in mind im using a 3gs, not ipad

7. Squablo

Oct 24, 2010
    I'm really at a loss here. The funny thing is that I would almost rather have none of the games working than have just a few. That would at least make troubleshooting easier.

Ive tried everything short of restoring my ipad and re-jailbreaking. Maybe I should bump up to 5.1 instead of my current 5.0.1? Ive reinstalled everything. I even deleted the blutrol config file (which wiped out all of my other game configurations) to start out fresh with only street fighter as the one game in blutrol. No go.

This is pure madness to me!! Why do some games work perfectly but others, which ARE working for other people, do not work? GRAAAAAHHHHH!!!!:confused:

8. Spamcan

#8 Spamcan, Jan 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
    Did you try flipping the iPad? For some reason certain landscape iPhone games running on the iPad require the device to be flipped one way while others only seem to work the other way. I know bluetrol has a "flip" option in settings but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Nevermind, totally skipped over the above post.. I'll try to post some screenshots of my configs later if people are having trouble with games I've gotten to work.

9. lumothesinner

Sep 30, 2011
    UK
    #9 lumothesinner, Jan 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
    Well it works for me - 3gs, 4.3.3. booted up sf4 volt and changed screen orientation so it matches the rest of my games (doesnt auto rotate)
    took screenshot and set up controls as expected, no flip. and yeh just worked?

10. silentcorp

silentcorp Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    I've found it really depends on the shape/position of the controller-circle as well. Sometimes if it's just too far off it won't work.

Works Great:
    Dungeon Defenders: 2nd Wave
    NBA Jam
    Aralon HD
    SF IV
    The Bards Tale
    Samurai II

Works Ok:
    Space Miner

Non Working:
    Galaxy on Fire 2 (I can't get this to work however the first day it worked fine!)

11. lumothesinner

Sep 30, 2011
    UK
    Another one to get NBA to work "great". How can you play this its got a floating pad, running right is hard, unless u go left first and rotate round. I wouldnt say thats great.

also cheers for more games

12. Squablo

Oct 24, 2010
    #12 Squablo, Jan 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
    Well, Ive been messing around with things a little bit more and here are my results.

Working
    Bike Baron
    The Blocks Cometh
    Super Crate Box (profile override)
    Zombieville USA
    Zombieville USA 2
    Sonic CD
    Jetpack Joyride
    Pinball HD Collection
    Tetris

Not Working
    Hookworld
    Super Quickhook
    OMG! Pirates
    Mage Gauntlet (everything maps to down-left)
    Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 HD
    Street Fighter IV
    Street Fighter 4 Volt

I decided to try the regular Street Fighter IV after having no luck with Volt, but I get the same results. Nothing seems to be working. I will not give up however, if only due to the fact that it seems to be working for everyone else, and it is even the game used in the demo video. Definitely not an easy one to troubleshoot. At first I thought maybe the problem was because it is an iphone app, but I have other iphone apps working fine. Also, UMK3 HD is an ipad specific app, and that one doesn't work either. Hmmmmmm

I guess I'm looking for someone else to say "Hey, I cant get street fighter to work either" I would like to believe that the problem I'm having is somehow on my end and not the actual blutrol tweak. Ill keep on it, and post my results. Its very hard for me to believe that somehow I am the only one having this issue.

Edit
    I got Street Fighter IV to work, but, as suggested by a previous post, the ipad has to be a certain way in landscape mode. If I change the screen orientation in the options for the game, nothing works, no matter what I do in blutrol with flipping and whatnot. Unfortunately, it has to sit on the side with the volume buttons........that's right, when I set it that way it turns the volume all the way down. At least I did get it working, so Im half way there. Hopefully this is something they will address in the next update for blutrol. Going to try Volt now. Oh yeah, I'm also going to try messing with Mortal Kombat too

13. Spamcan

A lot of the games are like that, just slide the iPad partway off the icade so the buttons aren't covered. Not a huge deal IMO. Sticking some thin rubber on the ends of the groove so that the buttons won't be pressed may also be a solution worth looking into.

14. silentcorp

Aug 10, 2010
    Works Great:
    Bike Baron
    Capcom Arcade (Street Fighter Series, Ghosts/Ghouls and Goblins and Magic Sword all work, 1942/1943 do not)
    Dark Void Zero (has to have the screen flipped from the options menu)

Works Ok:
    Hero of Sparta 2 (not a floating dpad but it has that issue where it needs two inputs before it starts to recognize them)
    Dungeon Hunter 2 (same thing)

Not Working:
    Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
    Mage Gauntlet (same as above everything maps to down left)
    Knight's Rush (nothing works)
    Space Invaders Infinity Gene (no dpad option)

15. Spamcan

I've found a simple solution for games that require the volume button side down causing the iPad to turn it's volume all the way up or all the way down, two thin pieces of rubber cut from a piece of weather stripping.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. lumothesinner

Sep 30, 2011
    UK
    Added some more to the list, and taken some off as its getting huge. Just keeping popular ones on working so people can get a general idea of what works, and therefore what else can work. what doesnt work can be more specific. so leaving them full

17. lumothesinner

Sep 30, 2011
    UK
    Seen a reply on iCP thread on how to get tony hawks 2 working...in a manner of speaking.
    PSX4all emulator and tony hawks 2 iso, simple. should have thought of that before.
    I know the whole dont play with roms/isos you dont own, but I would have thought that if you own the iphone app, you can play an iso of the same game...right?

18. silentcorp

Aug 10, 2010
    Wait, so you are taking off working games from the list? So do we need another thread that is the "official" working list or is there something I'm not understanding? Isn't the point of doing this to have a one-stop-shop to find the games you are looking for and see if they are compatible?

19. lumothesinner

Sep 30, 2011
    UK
    The list could go on forever and ever - I would expect 70% of ios games to work with it. Do we really want 70% of the iOS library showing up in the first post or a load of popular ones so people get the idea and then ones that have issues or dont work so that people know about them

20. Brokendemo

Brokendemo Active Member

Aug 26, 2011
    I can add Pizza Boy (really fun Mario clone) and Skater Nation (surprisingly decent Tony Hawk clone) to the list as games that work really well.

Beware Skater Nation though, it is a complete pain in the ass. 1. You have to manually flip the orientation every time you play by clicking and unblocking the auto orientation button in options to get it to register right. 2. There is no multi tasking, so you REALLY have to do it every time you play and 3. It takes forever to get a game going through the opening movie and load times. Maybe it bugs other people less then me, but after the 4th time while I was figuring out the orientation I just about deleted the app. I don't know if that should eliminate it from the "works really well" list though, once you do all that it plays great (despite the floating d-pad).