iPad still totally under reprezented and not performing game wise to expectations

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Stirolak26, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    #1 Stirolak26, Dec 12, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  2. Meh. I'm pretty much fine with gaming on the iPad. Sure, there are some releases I'd like to see come out as universal or at least have an HD version dedicated to the iPad, but for the most part the games that I want to see hit the iPad in either HD or universal forms do. I say give it time -- the thing isn't even a generation old yet. Adoption rates are huge, but they're still not up to iPhone or iPod Touch levels, and it suffers a little from its positioning as a tweener -- not exactly a mobile, not quite a laptop, so it'll take time for people to appreciate where it fits in their world. I know I wasn't really keen on getting an iPad myself until one practically fell in my lap. After using it for a day or two I fell in love with it, and now I couldn't part with it.

3. ArcheAngel

ArcheAngel Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    I don't even know why one would buy the first gen iPad.

The second gen will actually be worth the price when they ad hardware that puts it on par with iPhone & iTouch

4. The only hardware it's realistically missing is a camera or two and the gyro.

5. JCat

JCat Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    CEO E-Commerce
    NY
    #5 JCat, Dec 12, 2010
    Ah, just skip to the ipad 3 - it will be even better...wait, actually, ipad 4, yeah, that will blow the doors off of 3, 2 and the original.

I've had my iPad since launch day and have enjoyed it from day one.

6. Pacificsun0481

Pacificsun0481 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Exactly.

I remember awaiting the UPS truck for the preordered iPad Saturday delivery. I had been tracking it's departure from Shenzen...

I even phoned UPS to verify Saturday delivery was available in my area.

The funny thing, I ordered a HardCandy case which was delivered the same day...yet, when the UPS guy came he was going to just deliver the case. I asked if he had another package, sure enough my iPad was also aboard that April 3rd delivery truck.

So, had I not mentioned another package, I'd have had the case and he would have come back a second time with the iPad. Redundant system, right?

Anyhow, I'm impressed by some games. I expected Gameloft to be familiar with the iPad by now. At least enough to have their big titles launch simultaneously both standard and HD.

It's inexcusable to release the versions within weeks of each other, when they're both obviously done. It's like being intentionally screwed.

By the time we get the game, iPhone owners have already become familiar with maps, scores, etc.

Hopefully next gen (which I'm getting as well) will see an improvement.

I expect dual cameras, ram and processor increases, better speaker, a little lighter and some resolution increase in the screen.

There is no way they can make the same retina boost they did with the iPhone. That would make the screen better than 1080p, which just isn't possible, iTunes doesn't even offer video above 720p. That and battery/processor constraint - just will not happen.
    So don't be disappointed if it's not true retina display.

7. HelperMonkey

HelperMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    Briefly...

The difference in the size of the user base is probably the key issue.
    Another problem, in my eyes, is the price of iPad apps. It may be that developers are trying to establish and maintain a price range that they feel is fairer and more representative of the value of their products -- hoping to prevent a repeat of what has happened in the app store, in which prices have degraded so much that anything that costs more than a couple of dollars causes hesitation and sharp scrutiny from potential buyers.
    IPad games don't cost any more to produce, but if developers or publishers manage to fix and hold the price range for iPad apps at a higher level, it will become an accepted and expected reality for buyers in that market.
    Of course, there are some very high quality games for iPhone/iPod that are thriving and profitable at a price of $0.99 simply because of their enormous sales figures. But the iPad market won't see such large numbers of buyers anytime soon, both because of the hardware's smaller user base, and because higher prices do result in fewer sales.
    Of course, to make the maximum profit requires a fine balance between making more money for each sale or making more sales at a lower price. Finding that balance in the iPad market is still an ongoing process.
    Returning to the issue of the smaller user base, however: I would add, on a personal note, that when trying to decide between upgrading to either an iPod 4 or an iPad, the price of apps IS a notable consideration. And I doubt that I am alone in that. Which only illustrates another part of the complicated nature of all of this.
    If higher prices for applications can affect hardware sales and hinder growth of the user base, it may only reinforce a developer's need to charge more for their app in response to the smaller user base. So with fewer potential buyers, the price of apps may need to be higher. But with higher prices for apps, there may be fewer potential buyers.
    Dear God! Enough tap-tap-typing away on this silly virtual keyboard! I can't stop. Friggin' economics! It's a conundrum! It's a riddle wrapped in an enigma! It's full of evil maths!
    Ack! So complicated... All I really want is to be able to play video games on the toilet.

8. Scaramoosh

Scaramoosh Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    I'll buy an iPad when they add phone functionality, two cameras, dual core, 2gb ram, dedicated GPU with 256mb ram +, IPS screen at 1080P and running Mac OSX.

Right now you might as well miss it, buy any smart phone and a laptop.

9. 99c_gamer

99c_gamer Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    I'll tell you one reason for a small developer like me it's hard enough getting the game tested and working on all the small devices.

Plus I dont have an ipad which makes it doubly hard. If anyone want to donate an iPad I'll make games for it. :D

10. dyscode

dyscode Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    I will get one of those cheaper 1st gen later because up to now this is among the best controllers for Digital Music Production.
    Even at the current RSP price.

But I just bought an iPod4, so that needs to wait.

11. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    When I read this thread it remind me when few month back I was playing some PC and Mac games and was knowing nothing of the huge gameplay marvels that was existing in PC indie games, beside RPG indie games that I already knew.

Those guys in this thread are clear newbie not knowing much, they are stick to App Store top ten and that said all.

But yeah I know your point of view Stirolak26 if there isn't an obvious production value a game is a crap for you. Well I wonder how you can't see the superficiality of this point of view. Can't you agree that gameplay value is far to be only production value?

12. MrStayPuft

MrStayPuft Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Drywall & Drywall Taping
    Toronto
    a quick search and I came up with these games I like:

Grand Theft Auto China Town Wars HD
    Chaos Rings HD
    Monkey Island 2 Special Edition HD
    Broken Sword: Director's Cut HD
    Cut the Rope HD

Those are some pretty good games with iPad HD Treatment. Infinity Blade is a Universal App and that game is Amazing. Dungeon Defenders coming out this week is also a universal App. so Universal apps are definately here and on the way. There's probably more Universal apps, those 2 games are just the ones I know of.

as far as Hardware goes, the first gen iPad has the same A4 chip as the iPhone 4 so not sure why people are saying it's lacking on the hardware side? The screen is already HD and has a very decent 132 dpi. Sure the iPhone4 has 326dpi but the reason for that is the size of the screen.

The 2nd gen iPad getting a Retina display comparable to the iPhone 4 is just a rumor

13. ArcheAngel

Jul 6, 2010
    The gyro is incentive enough to wait....front face camera, faster processing (iPhone 4), & it'll have a retina display not HD.

& I speculate they will integrate the apps to universal compatibility cause to many iPad owners complain about not having apps for iPhone on iPad & vise versa.

But hey I didn't buy one because I knew it would be half a year behind what they are progressing to. Which is apparent considering it took iPad so long to the software update that apple is trying to set as a standard among it's devices.

Buy the new iPad at launch was already like buying an outdated device. When the iPhone/touch received so many upgrades.

But oh well you can have fun with the iPad all you want. When the new one cones our I'll buy it cause that's when I feel it will be worth the price points it's listed at.

14. ArcheAngel

Jul 6, 2010
    #14 ArcheAngel, Dec 12, 2010
    You've clearly missed the point, in an effort to be sarcastically humorous.

Obviousley things get upgraded as they progress...the point was I don't feel the first gen worth it at that price considering it's behind the idevices as far as new gens go.

It goes iPhone>iPod>iPad (which was the last to get the Multitasking update)

15. iPad versions often have additional development time because they'll have different menu systems and control layouts to fit the larger screen, and they're often done consecutively rather than simultaneously, with the iPhone version coming out first to start generating players and gathering feedback that could be incorporated into the final iPad build based on user suggestions.

Dual cameras and more RAM are reasonable; the former is expected, the latter is hoped and very possible. The speaker is a strong speculation based on current rumours of the cutouts found on early iPad 2 cases. However, a resolution bump is unlikely (it's already higher than Retina), and the processor is already 1GHz with little need or reason for an increase. (That is, nothing compelling right now that would make Apple feel the need to bump up the speed at the expense of battery life.)

"Retina display" is just Apple's marketing term for "really high pixel density." You're not likely to get that on the 10" screen. Otherwise the iPad still has the same gorgeous IPS display that the iPhone 4 has.

Incorrect. iPad games need to go through extra tailoring for menus, control layout, resolution adjustment (you can't just scale, that looks like crap) -- sometimes even level designs that only work on the larger screen. Extra development time isn't free.

So ... you want a MacBook with a built-in phone, then...gotcha.

Can't argue here. There are some fantastic music apps on the iPad. I just add Korg's iElectribe while it was on sale and may add their iMS-20 before it goes up. The bigger screen really makes working musically much, much better than on the iPhone.

The iPad already runs at 1GHz, same as iPhone 4, and as I mentioned earlier, "retina" just means "high pixel density." iPad 2 will not have that. It uses the same display tech (IPS LCD) otherwise.

Won't happen. Too many problems with that.

16. c0re

c0re Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    The iPad doesn't actually have a hardware good enough for AAA games of such a resolution, it's been mentionned numerous times.
    Hopes are put in iPad 2, but meh.

17. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    I actually like indie games a lot. Justndont see the same quality or reviees for idevice games or version you see on services like steam. Why dont we see stuff like defcon, darwinia, super meat boy, etc. Everything can be or comes from flash almost. Why didnt braveheart have destructable environments or areas to explore or mission variety? Thisis a prime exaple of indy games on the idevices. Stages from one to another arcade style, and no deep ames. Look at distant star its like galcon but turned base. Where are the real domplex games that pc gamers are used to?

18. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    #18 Stirolak26, Dec 13, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
    Oh and the ipad has a pretty good stylus:
    http://www.tuaw.com/2010/12/08/tuaw-review-and-giveaway-just-mobile-alupen-stylus/

Take a look at some stuff people drew using vaious apps:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=898849&highlight=drawing+stylus

So why cant we get game to as close in quality as the mario vs dk ds series that rely solely on stylus and get reviews on ign in the 9 range? Or even those square enix mana games? No one on real gamer sies like kotaku or joystiq complain about ds stylusonly ames but topic after topic e idevices get dissed and if they cant find any excuse ey just name controls or lsc of buttons every time.

19. c0re

c0re Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Because as soon as an app exceeds 5$, most users just cry a river, unlike with DS games.

20. TNT_HEADSHOT

TNT_HEADSHOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    Nobody has an iPad stylus, and infinity blade got a 9 on IGN so quit your whining:p