Which Stylus Would You Recommend?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by MarkyMarc, Nov 25, 2012.

1. MarkyMarc

MarkyMarc Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2012
    USA
    Hope this is the appropriate forum section to ask.. I'm looking to get a stylus for certain games. For those that use them, are there any that you can recommend that won't scratch the screen protector and is as responsive as my finger? I have the Otterbox Defender on my iPad but I'm hoping that the iPad can still "feel" the stylus through the screen protector. Thanks for any help.

2. Eoghann

Eoghann Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    IT Guy/Graphic Designer/Gamer
    New York
    What kind of games are you aiming for? Drawing games? Coz for drawing games or apps, you can't beat the Adonit Jot. That's a fine tipped stylus for precision drawings. Finer than using your finger tip. I initially went for the Jot mini but the design isn't that great and the disc kept crapping out so I upgraded to a larger stylus. These can get pretty pricey.

If you need a stylus but don't need something too precise you can go for a standard rubber tip stylus. I used to own a Targus rubber tip stylus.

Be careful when buying those, and don't go for the cheap ones. Problem with the cheap ones is that they lose whatever coating they have on the tip to glide better. So you end up with literally a plain rubber tip. It gets stuck on the screen like a pencil eraser. And when you lose the coating, the screen starts getting black from the friction of the rubber tip.

My workaround for that was taping small strips of an aluminum potato chip bag on the tip. Unorthodox yes, but man did it work beautifully.

3. #3 Connector, Nov 25, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
    Repost from one of my earlier posts. Will post a little more later when I got time.

I have 8 styluses, but for gaming, this one is best. It uses a hybrid material, not rubber, so there is no drag, super smooth. Especially for this game where the stylus drags along the glass so much, the hybrid is by far the best. Works great on web pages too since you swipe up and down a lot. For this game though, I think it is essential. It is called an Ampen hybrid stylus, and you can get it on amazon at the following link for $9. A gaming must have... Hybrid tip is the best, trust me. Rubber drags alot.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008MOHLVC/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1353867798&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

I collect styluses, so I have tried over 30 styluses for my new ipad, this one hands down is the best. All future styluses will start becoming hybrid cause once you use one, you won't want to use a rubber tipped one again.

4. Hehe, taped on potato chip bags? Try the ampen hybrid stylus that is basically what is done!

Your other comments are correct, jot is good for handwriting but not for games. Cheap styluses somtimes the coating does come off or tips break making them unuseable.

Hybrid is the only way to go right now, or glueing on potato chip covers! Haha :)

5. Eoghann

Eoghann Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    IT Guy/Graphic Designer/Gamer
    New York
    Haha, don't mock my potato chip bag stylus. I MacGyvered that sucker but damn it sure worked amazing! Shame I lost it. xD

I'm interested in that hybrid now. Will read up on it. Your amazon link isn't working by the way. Gives a 404. :)

6. #6 Connector, Nov 25, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
    I think you would have made a killing selling them on ebay!

Fixed link thanks, it was from an old post.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008MOHLVC/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1353867798&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

It's only $9, and well worth the money. It also can qualify for the super saver free shipping. Read the user reviews in amazon. I own a bamboo, 2 targus, a belkin, and many other styluses. The ampen hybrid is the best stylus hands down for multi purpose use especially for gaming and web browsing. For art and handwriting, the jot and bamboo are pretty good.

And best thing yet, you won't have to buy another potato chip, you can buy a great $1 app on sale!!! :)

7. Pman

Pman Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Texas
    Personally I recommend a bamboo stylus, but just now I picked up a bamboo solo stylus and that highly praised hybrid one. I already have extra tips from my old bamboo, so I thought I should get another since my other is now lost.

8. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Wish they sold one of those conductive fabric based stylus-es(faraday Truglide etc) in Singapore. =/ Tried out one before and it was super smooth..the stylus literally glides across the screen

9. Yeah, hybrid styluses are the best, rubber ones will go extinct soon. Wonder how the truglide compares to the ampen? The truglide seems about twice as expensive, doubt if anyone here has tried both, but anyone have any comment?

I'm buying 3 more for my relatives for xmas, they will make great xmas gifts, cause you can't buy the hybrid styluses in stores just yet.

How come you can't buy these styluses through amazon? A lot of the styluses come from china, so it would seem easy for you all to get them in Singapore.

For games like arc squadron or shmups where your constantly have your finger on the screen, a hybrid stylus is a must. The ampen hybrid stylus is one of the BEST investments I have made for my new ipad, along with my ihome tripod and soundfreaq boothtooth wireless speaker. With all this, my new ipad rocks!!!

10. MarkyMarc

MarkyMarc Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2012
    USA
    I appreciate all the responses. Looks like the Ampen Hybrid will meet my needs (ARC Squadron was one of the games I had in mind for it ;)). Thanks again!

11. Yeah, let me know how you like it. But trust me, hybrid is where it is at, and I have tried over 30 styluses. My first stylus was a Targus, and while i is ok, once I got a hybrid, I stopped using all of my other styluses unless for art or handwriting.

And the ampen hybrid comes with a removeable dongle that attaches to the headphone jack, which I don't usually use, but sometime is nice.

Also, some of those one dollar styluses on amazon aren't bad, some as good as a targus, but they break from time to time. One time bought one of these, traded this to my friend for a targus. Then I traded that targus for a bamboo stylus from another friend.

Suffice to say, I got the $30 bamboo stylus for less than a buck. Bamboo is made really well, but it is heavy and big. But the accuracy of the tip is awesome. Fun to use once in a while.

I also have a brush stylus which is great for shmups, and is super lightweight. But not good for multipurpose cause it covers more of the screen.

Anyway, trust me, you will love the ampen hybrid, for gaming it is number one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008MOHLVC

12. mrbiggles

mrbiggles Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Like retired
    USA
    thanks for the info, will keep on my wishlist.

http://www.amazon.com/Hybrid-Stylus-iPhone-Galaxy-Packing/dp/B008MOHLVC/

13. #13 Connector, Nov 26, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
    Here you go, a picture of all my styluses.

The hybrid stylus is on the far right, notice the tip is silver mesh with a rubber tip inside.

There is also a brush stylus, good for shmups, not much else, moves really smooth though. Bought this for $5 at marshalls for playing shmups.

A good pen stylus for using as a pen. I got this for free at a career fair. I like the size and shape, feels great in my hand, what a great freebie.

A targus overpriced one that I traded someone for a $1 stylus I got from amazon.

A $30 bamboo that I got for a buck, traded someone a $1 stylus for a targus, then that targus for a bamboo for a disgrunted owner. The bamboo is good for drawing and handwriting and for web pages that the text is really small. Not a good overall stylus due to its weight and length. Very heavy, but very solid, feels like a good pen. Also has removeable tips.

A belkin stylus I traded for a $1 stylus.

Two thin styluses, think I paid less than 33 cents for each of them.

Anyway, spent about $7 for the ampen hybrid, $5 for one dollar styluses which I traded, $5 for the brush one, so a total of about $20 for all of these styluses. A great deal. The $1 styluses on amazon are really good, some far outpeform targus. I had bought the jot to try, but it is lousy for gaming and internet. It is good for handwriting though.

But the ampen hybrid is the best by far for overall use. The only one that is a must buy. But I enjoy having them all for their own purposes, and for having fun, I interchange a lot. But as you can see, I have made stylus trading a hobby. But the only one you really need is a hybrid like the ampen hybrid. Great for the web, games like arc squadron, and great for shmups.

Attached Files:

14. My favorite stylus the ampen hybrid with my current ipad setup minus the soundfreaq wireless speaker which I also recommend highly.

Attached Files:

15. Pman

Pman Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Texas
    Nice little setup. I bought the amPen stylus from the reviews I've heard from you guys so I am confident it will be good. As for the bamboo, you gotta love how precise that baby is. It is just such a fine point, you can use it for notes in math and such. I use penultimate for almost all my math related things.

16. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Was that picture taken at The Glendale Galleria Mall in Glendale Ca?

17. No, it was at a local university.