iPhone Pixel Press, Draw your own video game.

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by robinrath, May 3, 2013.

1. robinrath

robinrath Active Member

May 28, 2009
    iPhone App Developer/Designer
    St. Louis MO
    #1 robinrath, May 3, 2013
    Last edited: May 3, 2013
    Hey guys, I'm not an active poster here but I did have some time on the forum a few years ago when I published Radial 50.

About 3 months ago I started working on a new app called Pixel Press. The idea behind it is that you can draw your own level design on grid paper, take a picture with your iPhone or iPad, and play it.

I'm launching a Kickstarter on tue of next week, but had some press go out that I think does a good job of capturing the vision of the product. Let me know what you guys think, looking for feedback from this community more than any other.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/3/4297950/pixel-press-design-your-own-game-by-drawing-it

Also website at pixelpressgame.com

- Robin

2. Sounds like a really great idea Robin. I think could be one of those that shatters our past ways of thinking?? Maybe another option is some type of augmented reality, either for confirmation of what you are about to take picture of, or as additional options for the level?

3. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    #3 MidianGTX, May 4, 2013
    Last edited: May 4, 2013
    Very nice indeed. We've had a few apps that allow you to photograph drawings to use as in-game sprites such as spaceships in SHMUPs and so on, but I can't recall anything that actually converts a drawing into game assets, and nothing on this scale.

I'll be interested to know just how far you can take it; how big the levels can be, if there's any mechanic to link stages together and of course, how well the game actually controls. Right now it seems to be quite simple, Mario-like gameplay but I like the ideas for possible future additions. The sketch on the article reminds me of Castlevania, and if it manages to get anywhere near being as fun as that, it's a definite winner in my book. I'd love to have the ability to create stages on a vertical level as those games do.

Early days, but this looks like a Kickstarter campaign I could invest in.

4. robinrath

robinrath Active Member

May 28, 2009
    St. Louis MO
    Great Idea and something we've been thinking of, will come down to how difficult it would be to process that in real time.

5. robinrath

robinrath Active Member

May 28, 2009
    St. Louis MO
    Thanks for the feedback Midian - we're live on Tuesday would love to have your support. Yes, there is a lot of long term possibility here, one step at a time but taking notes!

6. Hans Laffinity

May 7, 2013
    Looks great.. Iv shared it on G+/Fb.. I will def back it when I get money.

7. robinrath

robinrath Active Member

May 28, 2009
    St. Louis MO
  8. robinrath

robinrath Active Member

May 28, 2009
    St. Louis MO
  9. Hans Laffinity

May 7, 2013
    Just backed it. Looking forward to this :) Iv always wanted to try make games but I could never get into learning programming.

Math's really not my strong suit.

10. Doom

Doom Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Working for the man
    Northeastern California
    Awesome idea, backed it. :)

11. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Looks like this should just pass the minimum goal before it ends. I'm kinda excited by this, but also a little sad because the 200k stretch goal sounded so good!