The February 2017 RPG Reload Play-Along: Aralon - Sword and Shadow

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Shaun Musgrave, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Krötenbändiger

Krötenbändiger Active Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 6, 2017
    Krötenbändiger is home again! After 40 days of adventure he arrives back where it all began, in his home village of Timber's Bend. Amidst the astonished villagers he climbs down from the back of his dragon, noticing that not so much has changed during his absence. After entering his house he is greeted by his old friend Tutorial, as if it was still Day 1. And then he goes on to finish his last, dreaded quest...

dragon.jpg shadowspire.jpg

Only a few days before he had rescued Gorak from the dungeons of Lord Valemar, helped the dragon Icefang to regain his stolen egg and then moved over ice fields and through howling, chilling winds towards the big showdown at the Shadowspire in the Northern Outlands. On his way he also came across the Swamplands, a desolate land where nothing could be found apart from a lot of nasty Swamp Beasts. Although there was some place in the middle of the Swamplands that, promisingly, looked very peculiar. A big fallen tree was leaning against some rocky plateau in the swamps. Yet, Krötenbändiger wasn't able to climb the tree because it was too steep. Nor was the attempt to ride up the tree on the back of his dragon successful. Instead of reaching the plateau he ended up in the swamp, every time he tried.

swamp_beast.jpg the_fallen_tree.jpg

I liked Aralon: Sword and Shadow a lot, especially the nicely done environments and landscapes. Often I got lost, travelled in the wrong direction or took a wrong turn somewhere. On several occasions my missteps were awarded with the discovery of some unmapped location, like a cave with hibernating bears or a bazar in the midst of the desert. Some other features, that looked promising at the beginning, didn't play as major a role as I had expected. Neither did I fish much, nor did I see a need to craft many potions, one exception being the tooth ache balm for the dragon. And the mastery of bow and arrow didn't help much either. Seldom was there a situation where an enemy could be killed just with arrows from the distance. Most of the times the enemy would close the distance very fast and the melee would start anyway.

the_end.jpg final_status.jpg

2. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    Been fun reading about your adventures, Krötenbändiger. I also enjoyed Aralon a fair bit. Glad I dived in on this RPG playalong. Might take a break in March - unless it happens to be a game I already own and it's in my backlog...

3. abbad0n

abbad0n Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Thanks Krötenbändiger, it's been fun reading your adventures.

That tree is just a distraction. If you use Helga's Ring (or the fishermans recipe to levitate) you can reach the top, but there is no real reason too.

However there are two places under the water where you'll find treasure chests. And three places where you can harvest the red ferns.

And about the Ranger class... yeah that is a problem. Using traps and stun effects is a necessity. Making sure you have your bow selectable on the action bar also means one less slot usable for skills. That's one reason I like it the least of all the classes.

4. Krötenbändiger

Patreon Bronze

Jan 6, 2017
    Well, I must admit that I sold the ring very early on. For the money, of course. I did a lot of diving, always in the hope to find some hidden cave or treasure. Alas, no such luck. But maybe the rumors about a treasure in the bay of Taryn Ridge are true? I will have to check this...

5. abbad0n

Jul 24, 2008
    That rumor is true. Also, there is one in Red Rock bay as well, but it is quite a swim beyond the break wall. Good luck. :)

6. Winter9

Winter9 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    I'm curious to what game is chosen for March!

I feel like I should play this one all the way through some time. This month though I've been working on what I played from last year. Have been a little overwhelmed of way to many going at one time. Setsuna is coming to an end now. Just need to grind a fair bit for the last boss.
    Chrono Trigger is going if slow. I'm trying to hatch that egg, not going to say why 'cause it's a spoiler. After Crono Trigger I will just have DQIV going on ios so that's nice.
    Then there's FFIV on Vita which is moving along nicely!

7. Discostallion

Discostallion Member

Sep 13, 2016
    So I finallly wrapped up Aralon, and it was definitely awesome! I have to say that I liked the first half of the game way more than the second. This is probably due to me getting overleveled midway through, making the rest of the enemies pushovers. Earlier on though, the high difficulty was a hoot, and exploring the huge kingdom never got old.

I'm sure March's game has already been chosen by Shaun, but since it just went on sale, I think Monster Hunter Freedom United would be an awesome pick. I haven't played it myself yet, but from what I've read it's a true classic, and the fact that it offers co-op play seems perfect for one of these playalongs.

The Last Warlock is another game I'd like to suggest for a future playalong. It's so over the top, and there are so many different ways to tackle the levels, that I think we'd get some great war stories out of it. Last Warlock also has multi player, though I'm not sure how well it works.

I like that Shaun curates the picks for this series, but that doesn't mean we can't throw some of our faves into the hat :D

8. Krötenbändiger

Patreon Bronze

Jan 6, 2017
    Found something while diving!

diving_for_treasure.jpg

9. abbad0n

Jul 24, 2008
    Yep, there it is. :)

BTW, for those interested in doing a battlemage, the sequel game thread for Aralon: Forge and Flame had someone do so. I've tried it out and it's a pretty fun build. Much easier to do with the skill tree there than in the original. Here's the post, so enjoy:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=3957033&postcount=322