What's the one major thing you hate in mobile gaming?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by spader623, Mar 7, 2014.

1. spader623

spader623 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2014
    For me, its how easy it is to buy them. 'Oh that game is on sale for $3? WANT. *taps twice, done*' wait, no I don't even want it. Noooooo. And then the purchases add up. Grah. I'm so weak. Anyway, that's mine. What about you guys?

2. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Always wait for impressions and reviews. I never impulse buy. But yeah those $1, $2, $3 purchases add up fast

I just can't stand poor freemium models. I don't mind free or freemium or IAP if it's done right and fairly, but when a game is purposely designed to make you spend money...ugh, instantly deleted,

3. spader623

Jan 18, 2014
    My problem is that a game may look great, and be great... But it's not something which appeals to me and I end up just putting it back into my backlog. Bleh.

4. RedArmor

RedArmor Member

Jun 11, 2013
    Hardware requirements.I hate it how game developers always make games for the latest device,and never optimize FPS on older devices.

Software requirements.Yeah,same as hardware,developers are trying to make us upgrade to the latest OS,which may be laggy,and they are trying to increase the minimum OS requirements to the highest possible.

5. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    The race to the bottom on pricing and the rise of free-to-play.

6. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I hate free to play, of course, unless fairly implemented to benefit the dev with funds but not be an endless money pit for the player.

But also wish all games, particularly ones with large file sizes, had consistent iCloud support.

Few irritating things specific to iOS mobile gaming: lack of external storage support and in-place app updates (patches instead of full reinstalls).

Oh, and it's too freaking addictive with weekly releases and always wanting the next big thing....leading to many unfinished games and, despite low app prices, it adds up quickly!

7. spader623

Jan 18, 2014
    I've never ran into this problem, since I've only had my iphone for a couple of months now, and it's a 5C on iOS 7, but I've seen a lot of people talk about how the game crashes on lower versions, and sometimes, the devoloper dosnt say that. What the heck???? You, the devoloper, NEED to say that your app only runs on 'so and so' phone and ios whatever.

8. Topherunhinged

Topherunhinged Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2014
    This is all of gaming, not just mobile, and is even more noticeable on the PC where software optimization has become a lost artel most entirely.

9. spader623

Jan 18, 2014

I completely agree with the last thing, though I'm trying to spend less on games... Though I just bought like 5 $1 games yesterday. All on sale... But I doubt I'll beat them. Why? Because I just get distracted or it requires too much time or my other systems compel me. Same with steam on my PC. I'm MAKING myself beat a game. I'm trying to do a 'play two and one multiplayer game'... And then these big RPGs, like DARKCSOULS, take up like 50+ hours. Sorry, a bit of a rant. #gamerproblems

10. SherlockEB

SherlockEB Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 22, 2013
    How I compare every game to Skyrim and think it's not worth playing(althought bug heroes 2 doesn't feel that way,but it'll be in time)

11. spader623

Jan 18, 2014
    Why skyrim?

12. SherlockEB

Patreon Bronze

Apr 22, 2013
    I don't usually play pc games, skyrim was the one I tried. And it's the one of the best games I've ever played alongside FF6

13. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Devs slipping ads etc into paid apps via the update system under the guise of " bug fixes"

Kind of annoying when a new release drops to free a few days after purchasing.

14. spader623

Jan 18, 2014
    So, do you mean console quality, or just in general skyrim?

15. SherlockEB

Patreon Bronze

Apr 22, 2013
    It's about dept of the game. There was so much to do. So much I still haven't finished them all. And graphics, animations, music, voice acting, yeah especially how every character would speak every line written. Also mechanics were really good like I've never seen a mobile game.

16. spader623

Jan 18, 2014
    We'll, skyrim is one of those humongous 'only on console' kinda of games. Mobile games can be of console quality sure, but usually they're their own little thing.

17. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    I don't like any "aggressive" IAP in freemium or paid games. I'm more tolerant for aggressive IAPs in freemium games, but when I see aggressive ones in paid games, I get annoyed.

I also don't like the "bug fixes" that introduces ads, or conversion of paid games to freemium (through app store update, or more aggressive ones of removing paid games and rereleasing only the free version).

When I first got into ios games, quick prices drops used to make me rage. Nowadays I don't care too much. As everyone who's been in ios gaming for a while, we know we win some and lose some.

Over time, I've bought less and less games and try to enjoy the I'm currently playing (and try to limit to 2 or 3 games max at a time) instead of playing a bunch at the same time. And once a game starts getting annoying due to the things I mentioned before, I just move on since there's so many games anyways.

18. neonbible

neonbible Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Free-to-Play / Freemium

The touch screen! Ok not in all cases, but developers don't spend enough time optimising controls for the touch screen. I find some platformers for example touch to play without a gamepad.

19. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    It only makes sense that newer devices would be able to produce things that older devices just can't do. Making games optimized for newer devices is how the developers push the envelop. If they were stuck optimizing games for old devices there would be no point in apple upgrading idevices.

20. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    The one major thing I hate about mobile gaming? Simple: Free to play / consumable based games.

Hoping this trend will just lay down and die. In the meantime, I enjoy having TA (forums and reviews) to help point me in the right direction, that is, of the good premium games that are available on IOS.