Underrated/ unknown gems of August? List them here.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by arta, Sep 1, 2011.

1. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    I figure I'd start this thread at the beginning of each new month to round up little stragglers from the previous month that we might have missed. The weekly threads catch a lot of indie greats but it's hard not to miss stuff in the heat of releases.

Feel free to post more than once if you've forgotten something. :)

For example, I missed Puddle Puzzles, and only found out about it from Appspy's review.

2. BravadoWaffle

BravadoWaffle Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Designer
    iAdmiral just updated their game with new ships and more realistic mechanics. It's one of my favorite underrated strategy games ever!

3. juan13

juan13 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Really nice thread arta, thank you :)

4. vibliribland

vibliribland Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Aurum Blade.

Definitely the best Diablo clone so far in the AppStore.

-solid controls
    -great fps, not like the recent krpg titles which all suffer from hyper speed syndrome
    -great and detailed loot that is really addictive
    -free

Arum blade and Inotia 2 are the best ones in this category to date.

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Not a fan of Inotia 2, but I otherwise concur 100%. Aurum Blade is pretty much awesome.

6. paul.hendricks

paul.hendricks Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2009
    State of Confusion!!
    Riot Rings by Cervo Media-best Zuma clone there is. Smooth running, varied gameplay, humor, and great graphics.

7. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #7 backtothis, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
    Agreed, I was expecting some crappy mobile KRPG port so I didn't even bother downloading it when it came out. Just got it this morning, and the game is pretty darn good, especially for free. I thought Inotia 2 was pretty good, except the game just took way too damn long. I liked how there was actually some strategy in the combat though since you had 2 other team members. Zenonia 3 and Wild Frontier are still my favorite KRPGs though. I thought Inotia 3 was excellent as well and better than the second.

8. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Dragon of the Three Kingdoms isn't revolutionary but it's a decent Golden Axe clone with a retro Sega feel.

Some games I don't think have gotten the fanfare they deserve are Secret of Chateau De Moreau, Dragon Fantasy, and Majesty: The Fantasy Kingdom Sim.

Wow... iAdmiral and Aurum Blade look amazing. How did I miss these? ...and how is Aurum Blade really free?

9. DodgerBlue016

DodgerBlue016 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    I create awesome paper airplanes that I will sell
    Here
    8 bit vs. 16 bit was a really fun, albeit simple game...
    Then the best week included Pigs in Trees, Pickpawcket, and Bouncy Mouse (that week also had more widely known mega mall story, flick soccer, anomaly warzone earth, and nyxquest). Best week of august by far!

10. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Yes, Aurum Blade is free. There are IAPs (gems that you can use to buy immediate revival, respect, etc.) but they're not necessary to play through the game. As I wrote on the thread, it's basically a mashup of Diablo and a KRPG, weighted towards Diablo. The controls are good, the graphics are actually closer to SNES than to Java, and the combat is fast and actually fun. What's more, there's quite a bit of depth to the leveling system, with upgradable attributes, a variety of active and passive skills, and golem-like system that has a separate upgrade/boss fight path.

Dang it, I feel like I'm shilling this game :). But I really do feel that RPG fans will really enjoy it, especially for free.

11. EnShinNoi

EnShinNoi Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Jelly Wars is one of the few August releases I downloaded. I was the only one to reply in its thread, so I'd say that counts as unknown :p

12. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Bouncy Mouse and Pigs In Trees are underrated by far, among my favourites this year. If only they had a big name behind them like Spy Mouse.

13. Romeo Longsword

Romeo Longsword Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2011
    Hong Kong, London, Osaka
    The game has a rating of 1 star from 7 reviews for the full version while the lite (free) version is unrated here in China, the reviews across the board saying the game has technical faults where players either can't play, or the game play is simply a repeat from stage to stage in both game play and graphic.

14. plasmakirby3

plasmakirby3 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Junior in High School
    Northern California
    Muffin Knight is September.

The Secret of Chateau de Moreau for me.

15. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    It 'could' be very good, i wanted a Golden Axe clone and it seemed pretty good at first but not being able to jump was a huge spanner in the works for me.

Shame as it has potential, each level seems much of the same, its not bad but 'could' be so much better

16. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Same for me. Also The Last Rocket. Amazing pixel graphics and chiptunes. Though it got reviews from TA and IGN PG UK, I still feel not enough people noticed it. Amazing game.

Also I know Punch a Hole is September, but it might just be puzzle game pf the year! It is so genious. Get it!!

17. phattestfatty

phattestfatty Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    @arta: considering early bird got up the charts, i wouldn't call that unknown. same goes for alien raid.

18. EMTKiNG

EMTKiNG Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    EMT
    Los Angeles,CA
    #19 EMTKiNG, Sep 5, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
    Didn't see it was for august apologies

19. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA