Is it just me? About iOS graphics.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by littlezoe, Oct 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. littlezoe

littlezoe Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Lucid Dreamer
    In your dreams
    #1 littlezoe, Oct 7, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
    I often see games being developed for iOS which in my opinion look almost exactly like they were drawn in paint.
    I'm not sure if i'm the only one, but a game like that has no chance to get on my phone at all, even if it's gameplay would be good otherwise...

In my opinion the basic iOS game should have the graphics style of games like Cut the Rope, Jetpack Joyride, Where's My Water?, Tiny Wings, Tiny Invaders, Rocket Claw, Plants vs. Zombies, ect... Just to mention a few... Some of them are older, some of them are newer, but they share a similar style.

They have this clean style which says "i'm a pretty game, perfectly fit on this phone". They don't need to be realistic at all, but this little cartoonish, clean style is what should be a standard for iOS games in my opinion.

I don't mean this as offensive to the specific game that i will mention now.
    There is the game "Eliss" which is on sale now for free, the game costs 4.99$ otherwise. Now people really said nice things about that game in the comments, but i just can't get over it's paint-like graphics... It totally turns me off even to try it. Not counting that anyway horrendous price tag...
    Again, that game must be good if so many people like it, but it's my opinion.

This overall statement is also true for those japanese games... those anime graphics feel strange to me as well on the iPhone... But maybe that's because i just can't stand anime..

In my opinion gameplay and graphics should be both fitting. :)

Tell me your opinions and don't be scared to tell me the truth.

2. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #2 Vovin, Oct 7, 2011

You're a nitpicking graphics whore? No offense intended. :D

3. littlezoe

Sep 30, 2011
    Lucid Dreamer
    In your dreams
    I see you didn't understand my post :)

Gameplay and graphics should be both important in the development of the games. In those paint-like games i feel like the gameplay was the only one they worked on... or most of the time even that wasn't.

4. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    I get what you are saying.

At times the "simplistic" graphics are a part of the developer's intent of how the game should look. Eliss is an example of that.

What is a turn-off is when a dev is plainly lazy to put efforts into how the game "looks"

That said... different things word for different people. What is bad graphics to you might be arty for someone else.

5. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

I did understand... but I don't understand. ;)

Well, beauty always lies in the eye of the beholder.
    Some of us get hard when they see 8-bit gfx, some people cannot sleep anymore after the Infinity Blade 2 announcement.

Each gamer is different. I, for example, value gameplay over graphics, always. Sure, nothing against good gfx... that's a nice bonus, but for me, it isn't vital to enjoy a game.

For you, it is the whole picture - both gameplay and graphics have to fit together. And that's perfectly ok, too.
    Just play what you like and see fit and ignore the rest.

It's the same when it comes to game genres.
    Some think that people, who love to bounce a doodled guy as high as possible are just mad - at the same time, they enjoy to drive around in circles the whole day. Others play games where small people and monsters are throwing around with deadly numbers.

6. littlezoe

Sep 30, 2011
    Lucid Dreamer
    In your dreams
    Indeed. Different people like different things, have different opinions, it's just right like that.
    But that's why i made this thread. I didn't want people to defend my opinions, i want to hear yours, i want to hear everyone else's opinion on the iOS game graphics :)

7. mattll

mattll Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2009
    bavaria
    so you dont mind the soundtrack ? :p

i think a good grafic is nice to have but not essential for a good game
    if you take infinity blade it has a supreme grafic but is a bit short on gameplay side
    if it would be the other way around ( supreme gameplay and a weaker grafic ) i would have liked it even more

8. littlezoe

Sep 30, 2011
    Lucid Dreamer
    In your dreams
    As i mentioned i don't want realistic graphics. I want that clean cartoonish graphics that fits the phone's style perfectly.
    The realistic graphics are good on the PCs, but i don't think that it's meant for the iPhone...
    I don't like Infinity Blade at all... Indeed it looks good, but it's gameplay is poor in my opinion.

Soundtrack: It's indeed something that can make a game overall more enjoyable, but i didn't mention it here as it's not really related to the graphics argument :)

9. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Frankly, I am sick of people trying to impose their dogmatic and narrow tastes on the entire iOS community. You like cartoony graphics? Fine: buy games with cartoony graphics. Those of us who appreciate a variety of aesthetic approaches on this platform will continue to enjoy games that deliver on them.

This is about a pointless a discussion as you can get.

10. littlezoe

Sep 30, 2011
    Lucid Dreamer
    In your dreams
    I'm also sick of people who have reading problems and jump to conclusions while they didn't even understand what i wrote :)

As i already said at least 2 times, even in the original post, i want to hear opinions on what you think about iOS graphics. I stated my opinions already, it's the time for the others.

If you can only troll then you are not welcome here. Go outside for the fresh air and calm down.

11. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    #11 squarezero, Oct 7, 2011
    And I'm sick of people offering their opinion about what kinds of graphics are "best" for the platform. It all comes down to personal preference, which makes this a crappy subject for discussion.

By the way, you have no authority to define who gets to partipate on this forums. But I do ;).

12. littlezoe

Sep 30, 2011
    Lucid Dreamer
    In your dreams
    Well i can see that you still don't understand the whole purpose of the thread.
    I won't argue with you anymore as it's so pointless that it's not funny.

Other peoples' opinions on the subject are welcome :)

13. __M__

__M__ Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Missouri
    I see what you're saying.

Personally, since I own both an iPhone and an iPad, I play on both sides of the fence. I try to put the "simpler graphic" games on my iPhone, and the higher games on my pad. Part of which is a memory issue since my pad has much more memory. The other part is an amount of time. I'll play a casual game in short bursts of down time where involvement isn't much of a concern, and like say at home I'll fire up mc2 on the iPad and play for several hours. It's also a better experience for me to play HD games on the larger screen.

In the end, I enjoy both types of games. It's just a matter of how I want to experience them.

With the game in question by the OP, I feel like its whatever you like. Play what you enjoy. If you enjoy Angry Birds, play it till your screen wears out, and the same goes for whatever style of game your into.

Play on!

14. Ghouls'R'us

Ghouls'R'us Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2011
    #14 Ghouls'R'us, Oct 7, 2011
    This could have been an interesting topic, but the offensive and dogmatic way it's been presented by the topic starter, plus the whole "talk to the hand" attitude towards a mod has really turned me off. Advice to others: please don't be like this guy.

15. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    It's the mod who started the offensiveness really. I thought this was a good thread too. Perhaps something devs could read about what people look at when they judge the "looks" of games. A mod coming and putting an end to the discussion by calling it pointless... well, he isn't doing any service to anyone.

16. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    I really hope u are kidding there. If you aren't, it isn't good for TA if mods start threatening forum members.

17. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    And arguing about this is doing no one a service either.

If anyone wants a "do over" and start this thread again, but with some respect to all this time, go ahead. But for now, matter closed.

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I thought the ;) was self-explanatory.