Garry's mod 75% off on steam + question

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Pocketnova, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    So, garry's mod is 75% off on steam ($2.50), and I'm getting it no matter what. But I wanted to know: is one game that works with GM better than a different one? Eg, is it better to get CS:s, or could I just get portal and it would work just as well? Sorry, I have no idea how GM works. Any help would be awesome.

2. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Gary's Mod can leech assets from most Source engine games.

Mostly it depends on what you want to do with it. There are plenty of free fan-made models, etc that you can download and play with as well as lots of great game modes.

Mostly - don't expect it to be a great single-player game unless you are into playing with physics (in which case you'll have a great time! ;)) Most of the gamemodes are geared towards online play.

Gonna leave this here just because. Contains some NSFW language/visuals, but it's not too bad... ;)

3. chimpman252

chimpman252 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Front Staff at Chinese Restaurant
    I must warn you that if the only Source game you have is Portal, almost every game you join other than simple Sandbox servers will paint your screen with pink and black checkered missing textures and models errors. If you want to play any real game modes (TTT, prop hunt, flood, etc) CS:S is pretty much a necessity.

Only telling you this because of my personal experience with Gmod, lacking CS:S myself. On a side note this thread is completely unrelated to iOS gaming so should probably be moved to the Lounge section.

4. Pocketnova

Oct 15, 2012
    Ok, thanks for the info. I'll probably need to get CS:S at some point Down the road. Sorry about the wrong forum. I forgot this was the stuff about iOS gaming. Could a mod please move this?

5. lepke

lepke Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2013
    Japan
    You be better of getting one of the bundles, they still have those right? And cs:s zombie mod is a lot of fun, hours to kill, which is a free server based mod that many servers use in cs:s. so if you can, get both, it is also still a better shooter than cs:go.

6. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I have Portal and TF2 and still got a bunch of replacement textures on maps I joined. It kinda sucks that to get the full benefit of player-created content you need to purchase additional games you might not even want to play, but it's still a lot of fun experimenting on your own and creating things with the equipment you have.

7. Pocketnova

Oct 15, 2012
    Ya. I only have TF2 (and Portal 2, so nothing there) and I'm still enjoying the crazynes of what you can do. I'm not a fan of doing MP unless it's with people I know, so I'm not missing much there, but it'd be nice to get a map or two from the other source games. Well worth the 2.50, even though I have no idea what I'm doing.