Do you think this game can't be played on mobile devices ?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by aladine, Jan 22, 2015.

1. aladine

aladine Member

Apr 28, 2014
    [​IMG]

Hello everyone,
    I finally had some free time to start working on a new game, first gameplay footage can be seen in this youtube video :

i hope you like it.

[​IMG]

Now the thing is that i think that this game can't be played on mobile, and am not sure if i can keep working on it because i have no idea on how to make profit from browser games, and i heard that games that require unity plugin are a lot less popular than flash and html5 games, so maybe i will start working on it again when HTML5 deployment is available in unity (publicly), or if i find some free time i'll try to port it to Phaser.
    Anyway, until that day comes, here is a quick demo for those who want to try the game or want to understand more why this can't work on mobile :

I already tried using a virtual stick,the only good part about the joystick is that i was able to use it as a hint on which color to collect, other than that, i really hate it, i don't like virtual sticks and i don't think my game will make an exception:
    [​IMG]

if you think that this can work on mobile or if you played any game that require consistent gesture control and you didn't feel frustrated when your hand hide the screen then please tell me, i had so much fun working on this game (which i didn't do for quite a while now...) and would really love to continue working on it. The reason i can fully focus on this as a browser game is because i have no idea on how to make profit from browsers games, specially those made with unity, so maybe i'll work on it on my free time but i don't have much at the moment :/

i Also made a quick change to the game, it's now played vertically so the big part of the player hand won't cover an important part of the screen, and i also made the "dot outline" a lot bigger so the player can have more information on its position, of course that wont detect any collision.
    [​IMG]

Thank you and have a nice day

2. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    I like the idea behind using a joystick for it, it may be way too easy using drag controls.

3. shakingsheep

shakingsheep Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Director, Graphic Designer and Animator.
    Hong Kong
    I think that will work with drag controls, i like the idea, and its simple yet elegant.

4. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    If you want to keep that control method, you will have to design your levels around it. Keep everything out of the way. Remember you have both left and right handers to contend with.

BUT

Since you're already open to alternate control schemes, I suggest you take a look at Osmos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiMVNwt-8f8. They have similar concepts (don't touch certain circles until it's time to touch them) but have a control scheme that keeps the finger out of the way.

5. aladine

aladine Member

Apr 28, 2014
    I believe that "too easy" is better than "unfairly hard", i also know that it is a bad approach to make the game challenging by making the control harder, i only saw this works in very few cases (QWOP, surgeon simulator and Mount your friend) but also in this cases the entire gameplay is based around the idea of trolling the player and making him laugh, although i am very sure that these games are only good when player around someone else because he/she will be the one laughing while you try to smash the keyboard lol

Thank you i really appreciate it ^^

Thank you, and i think am going to stick with the "portrait solution" for now, at least for smartphones, i will have to rework on the levels to make them more playable and more "eye pleasing" in portrait mode.