Trademark trolling from "Spotted"?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by SanukGames, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Greetings,

Has anybody else received an infringement claim from the owner of the trademark "Spotted"?

We received such a claim for our iOS game "Spot The Differences!": the trademark owner's lawyer complained to Apple's legal services, who in turn forwarded the complaint to us and called for resolution.

The trademark "Spotted" belongs to Morris Digital Works and appears to be used for a photo sharing service (there's an app called "SpottedĀ® SavannahNow.com").

In our view, their infringement claim is bogus, as our game does not use the term "Spotted" in its name, nor does it create any confusion with their service. Besides, there are hundreds of apps in the store whose titles feature the word "Spot" (including multiple "Spot The Difference" games from many developers), and ours hardly stands out.

I am wondering if their lawyer is simply trying a brute force attack on all developers of these apps, in a bid to have a number of them freak out and pull their apps without a fight?

If anybody experienced the situation, I'd be interested in knowing how they handled it.

Thanks!

2. ThreeCubes

ThreeCubes Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    http://www.trademarkia.com/spotted-77034095.html

It's says the status of the trademark changed to accepted last Friday. Sounds like they just sent out a bulk load of emails straight after it was accepted.

I would think a short response to apple would be enough clearly stating there is no infringement as at no point is your software called spotted. There is simply no grounds for it. Although I'm not a lawyer so there may be a better way to phrase it. From past experiences if you right back using lawyer speak they tend to think you have spoken to lawyers and are prepared to fight and they will back off when they clearly have no grounds.

I get a feeling they just gave a big list to apple to try and scare a few people.

3. Thanks for the Trademarkia link!
    The change of status does indeed explain why they chose to send claims now.

I opposed them a firm rebuttal and enjoined them to substantiate their claim if they wish to maintain it despite the obvious lack of grounds. We'll see how it goes...

4. Therealtrebitsch

Therealtrebitsch Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Can somebody finally shoot these ####ers alltogether?
    I have also an app that is a "Computer software for uploading, delivering, sharing and organizing photographs, images and multi-media content online"

Maybe I sue them...

5. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    Trademark law can be tricky because infringement can be inferred on the basis of consumer confusion alone. And a lot of developers open themselves up to successful trademark infringement claims because they actively try to draft on the coattails of somebody else's successful brand.

However, PikPok has registered, and defended, many trademarks over the years, and we'd probably consider this particular case overreach. As mentioned above, probably an overzealous lawyer.

In their defense, you have to actively defend a trademark in order to maintain your claim on it. But I think it would be difficult and a stretch of the imagination to infer there is any actual infringement here.

This is their listing below, so they have had this trademark for many years -

Code:
    Word Mark 	SPOTTED
    Goods and Services 	IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Computer software for uploading, delivering, sharing and organizing photographs, images and multi-media content online. FIRST USE: 20040100. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20051000

IC 038. US 100 101 104. G & S: Electronic delivery of images and photographs via a global computer network. FIRST USE: 20040100. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20041014
    Standard Characters Claimed 	
    Mark Drawing Code 	(4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
    Serial Number 	77034095
    Filing Date 	November 1, 2006
    Current Basis 	1A
    Original Filing Basis 	1A
    Published for Opposition 	June 5, 2007
    Registration Number 	3281817
    Registration Date 	August 21, 2007
    Owner 	(REGISTRANT) Morris Digital Works, LLC LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY GEORGIA 725 Broad Street Augusta GEORGIA 30901
    Attorney of Record 	Timothy E. Moses, Esq.
    Type of Mark 	TRADEMARK. SERVICE MARK
    Register 	PRINCIPAL
    Affidavit Text 	SECT 15. SECT 8 (6-YR).
    Live/Dead Indicator 	LIVE
    You should always get professional advice when dealing with this sort of issue, but I doubt you have anything to worry about here.