Modern Combat [Reason for online problems]

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Christian_Bale, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Christian_Bale

Christian_Bale Active Member

Dec 6, 2009
    #1 Christian_Bale, Dec 6, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
    Well after a day I finally managed to get online and play some matches. I can say the game is very fun but there are a lot of noobs that never played FPS it seems haha. It owns Eliminate so much just because the controls are 100x better.

Well yesterday I couldn't even get past the online menu. It would crash everytime and get me back to the springboard. But I kept trying and today I logged in a game for the first time and since then I was able to play matches.

If you are having crash problems it has something to do with your iPhone/iPod and unfortunately I don't know what but if you have an iPhone try toggling the airplane mode and don't forgot to put wi-fi on again. Try also restarting your phone etc... Eventually it's gonna work.

Now for the various connection problems ITS NORMAL. It happens with every new anticipated game. Gameloft just released their online and right now thousands of people are trying to get online and the servers just can't take it. I believe that gameloft will fix their servers this week. Ignore the UPNP errors and don't mess around with your router, the game is suposed to run fine with 99% of people. I sometime get the error too but I try again and it works.

Just keep trying resetting the game, device and airplane mode. Just try all the combinations and it will work. And once you log in for the first time it will be easier the next times. If you don't find a server or the match doesn't start it's because of the overloaded servers and also the fact that gameloft are not experienced a lot for online.

Good games everyone! Btw Christian_Bale is my live account so if anyone is up for a challenge don't hesitate haha :D

2. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    Ok, I was reading a comment on youtube and apparently each iPod/iPhone is its own server. That's why the UPnP is needed, so that you can connect to another device without security issues. That's also the reason for all the crashes, if someone has a crappy connection, you're bound to get kicked.

I might host a private game later. Look up my Gameloft Live profile Somerandomdude if you want a game sometime.

3. Christian_Bale

Dec 6, 2009
    Like I said it's suposed to work with 99% of people because most routers all have UPNP enabled by default.

4. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    But my router doesn't have this UPnP option, so I'm lost....great!
    Strange, that Eliminate works perfectly...even over 3G.

5. UndeadZed

UndeadZed Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2009
    i know they should try and emulate eliminate with there servers but i know they won't

6. Christian_Bale

Dec 6, 2009
    What's the brand and model of your router? Just do a google search sometime it's hard to find. I really doubt it doesn't. And even if it didn't you would still be able to play trust me. It's the server overload + gameloft not so good servers.

7. UndeadZed

Sep 9, 2009
    i have an airport extreme as do alot of people on the forums and it doesn't support UPNP at all

8. Christian_Bale

Dec 6, 2009
    didn't know so many people bought this overpriced crap rofl.

9. kappa

kappa Well-Known Member

Iphone is a "mobile" device. Eliminate rules.

10. Christian_Bale

Dec 6, 2009
    Btw I also sometimes get the UPnp error but it's rare... so I don't think you should mess with UpnP I tried both hosting and joining matches and it works fine most of the time. When I get an error I just go back to main menu and try again.

11. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Most public servers do not have UPnP enabled by default. And Apple routers don't use UPnP; they use NAT. Basically, what you have here is an online multiplayer game for a mobile platform that works only at home. Where I'd much rather play Modern Warfare.

If that's the extent of the information that you can provide, Mr. Bale, then this new thread is a huge fail and should be deleted by the mods.

12. Bramsey89

Bramsey89 Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Christian, you're not that bright. Game does not work for more than half. No 1%. eliminate worked fine when released. This game just epic failed.

13. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    That "overpriced crap" as you call it works better and more consistently (and it's easier to set up) than any other router I've ever owned. It also can handle both g and n standard wireless at the same time, so that you don't slow down your entire network when you fire up your iPod Touch -- try that with your cheap router.

14. Christian_Bale

Dec 6, 2009
    I said SHOULD work. Eliminate is crap sry. Ur just too poor to afford a 5$ game I guess.

15. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Now you're just embarrasing yourself.

16. mebeswordguy

mebeswordguy Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Im pretty sure Bramsey has the game. And they shouldnt release a game that requires a specific network to be used. Apple time capsules and apple airport extreme dont work with this game, along with many other routers. U may think eliminate is crap but it works better than this game for 99% of people.

17. dashzed

dashzed Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2009
    so its established that airport extremes and time capsules dont work with this? dammit, i've got one.

it sounds like its really good too which sux.

18. mynameisjesse

mynameisjesse Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    People don't seem to get that Eliminates smaller levels allow it to work over 3g. Plus, they're using the tried and tested Quake engine where Gameloft is using their own.

19. sticktron

sticktron Well-Known Member

Well I get the UPNP message randomly too, and yet I try again and connect fine. It's Gamelofts servers. Probably a default error message when a connection fails under certain conditions.

The gameply is alright, but it's NO Quake3 engine-- I only we could have Eliminates engine and server infrastructure, and Sandstorm's look (modern, outdoor maps).

20. UndeadZed

Sep 9, 2009
    all hey had to do was add NAT support or UPNP and it would work