Question about game art resolution

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by paineyes, Aug 18, 2011.

1. paineyes

paineyes Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2011
    Hi, I am a new guy here. me and my friends (4 including me) are putting our brains together to make an game

I'll just go straight to the point if you dont mind: we are at the pre-production stage, and currently me and one other member are in charge of the visual aspect of the apps. unfortunately we have no experience, and we do not know what are the dos and donts.

I was thinking that we should make the arts with a res of 1280 x 1920 in photoshop, and then resize it down to 640x960 so it will fit the iphone 4. The reasons for doing this is that
    - bigger canvas is easier for us to draw on
    - having higher res arts is future-proof (say, perhaps Iphone 5 will have 1280x1920 resolution?)

I am thinking of using this approach for the Ipad version of the arts (2048x1536), moreso since there are rumors circulating that the ipad3 will have this resolution.

Of cause, we will keep going back and forth between the 2 resolutions to make sure the quality of the illustrations isn't affected. I was wondering what other problem would we face if we create our arts this way? Is there any other art related problem we should take note of?

Unfortunately me and my friends only know how to use photoshop, so vector graphics are out of the question :(

2. nantas

nantas Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Designer at aBitGames Studio
    Xiamen
    I think you are doing alright.

Just some random reminder: depending on your art style, you may need to fix the lower resolution version of your art since it's not always perfect to use Photoshop's resize algorithm, especially for 480x320 rez (if you intend to support it).

Also it's not always necessary to create 2 sets of art assets for both iphone4 and ipad. Their resolution difference is not that big.

Depending on your UI design, you may get away with one set of art assets and 1)make it fit for iPad resolution and crop a bit for iPhone4, or 2)make it fit for iPhone4 resolution and add some decorative frames on iPad. This will save you some precious build size.

just my 2c

3. Vetasoft

Vetasoft Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2010
    It's Always better to do art in High Def.

I don't think that the iPhone 5 will be in super Retina format. But you must expect it for the iPad 3. (if you want to port your game in the MAC app Store, is always good to have this kind of resolution)

I don't see what kind of problem you will face if your art is bigger.

In our games, the in-game art is in HD, we downscale it into our code to feet in the screen. It's working like a texture on a tradictional PC/Mac games.

For example, in a 3GS ( 320x480 res ) a squared sprite is showed: 100x100 what we do is that we make sprite in 256x256 and the code will downscall to 100x100. So, if you launch the game is a retina desplay, the square will be, of course 2x, 200x200. You still have a good polished sprite.

4. paineyes

Aug 18, 2011
    thanks for the tips :D

we are thinking of creating a point & click game, so background arts will be quite important as they will be part of the gameplay. As such there are many stuffs we have to keep in mind like not drawing an important item too small or blend into the background too much that the gamers might miss them or have a hard time touching them on the screen after we shrink the arts..

A while ago I was thinking that we will do the arts in 2048x1536 for the ipads, then rearrange the layouts and modify the size to fit on the iphone size. I hope this approach works without problem :D

5. jpang

jpang Active Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Depending on the graphics you are creating, you might want to use vectors so you can always enlarge your graphics without losing quality.

6. Vetasoft

Jul 27, 2010
    If your designer is smart enough, it will do always your arts at a higher resolution than the required format...

7. Hercule

Hercule Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    #7 Hercule, Aug 19, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
    I ask my artist to work on the double of the resolution of the ipad(2048x1536), and I made him a canvas that help him see what it will look like with the different ratio on ipad / iphone 4.

It's very handy to have graphical things in double resolution:
    If you decide to increase the size of a sprite -> no problem you already have the double resolution version.

The drawback: the artist usually have more work doing a double resolution version.

8. paineyes

Aug 18, 2011
    That drawback you mentioned is one big point that I missed entirely. Big canvas does means easier for the artist and better graphics, but that also mean more works to do. Thanks for the reminder.

9. Vetasoft

Jul 27, 2010
    No, the time work is the same. When you paint, draw, create shape, only the size of the canvas change but the creativity is the same.

10. Hercule

Dec 16, 2010
    The creativity is the same but the execution is not.

If you work with vector image Yes. If you work with pixel, No. the time is not the same from what I heard during several artist discussion.

From what I have understand, if you work on high definition, you have more pixel to fill and of course more potential error that needed to be cleaned.

Of course it don't take them twice the time. It's more something like 10-30% more time.

11. Vetasoft

Jul 27, 2010
    I don't agree

If you're talking about pixel Art, pixel Art works only on low resolution.

Pixel Art of the today game didn't need to require more works to be in double resolution. Why? because the Retina Display is the main cause, the eye didn't see the pixel and you must cheat. The designer must double the sprite without any filter to "simulate" a low resolution.

if you're talking about a traditional pixel, with a software like Photoshop, pixel to fill is totally transparent, working on a sprite in 1024x1024 is more confortable for the designer than working on a (retina) 128x128 sprite, plus, the result is better when you downscale the 1024x1024 to 128x128

12. Hercule

Dec 16, 2010
    no I don't talk about pixel art.

with a traditional pixel in photoshop, working in 2048*2048 take more time than working in 1024*1024. I heard this from at least 5 experienced artists that do this every day. They measure their productivity.
    They don't like it because it's harder to work in lower resolution (putting details is harder), but it always takes them less time to finish a work.

Pixel to fill is totally transparent, but line to draw are not.
    Your line need to be more precise or it will look dirty. You also need to use more the zoom in/ou functionnality of photoshop.
    Ink a page, make a scan et 75dpi, and make a scan at 400 dpi.
    Some error hiden in 75dpi are visible in 400 dpi.

Of course if your drawing style is "dirty" this is not a problem :) But I think most iphone game usually want a cleaned look.

If you don't believe me, try for yourself.

13. Vetasoft

Jul 27, 2010
    #13 Vetasoft, Aug 21, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
    I'm a artist and use photoshop everyday for many years now and drawing a line is the same in any res. I don't see what is the different.

and for you're zoom in / out, in photoshop, you can duplicate the same work windows, in other words, two windows for the same art. in one windows, you can zoom to work in it , and in the other one you can zoom out to view in real-time how it's look like.

you're scan example didn't make any sense because if you want as a final result a art in 75dpi and you don't see any error as you say, what is the problem?
    in a future, if you ask a 150dpi / 300dpi version for the iPad 3 res(if the rumor is right), you will also not see any error.
    maybe they are some imperfection in 400dpi but, you will not see it because it's to high.

14. Hercule

Dec 16, 2010
    #14 Hercule, Aug 21, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
    Take a watch, and see how much time it took you in both case :)

Doing constant zoom in/out or pan is not a free time. Watching 2 windows took you more time than watching only one windows.
    You may thinks in your mind that's instantenous, but it's not. And you do this operation hundred of time.

I'm a pro in tools developpement for several years now. My work is to observe artist :)
    Most artist don't mesure where they loose their times.

But I'm only relaying what I've heard from several discussion between experienced artist. They seek to increase their productivity. They don't like to work in lower resolution, but it took them less time when they do it.

15. Vetasoft

Jul 27, 2010
    I always work in a better resolution, for title, sprites, art background. I never have any problem of productivity because I didn't really compare.

16. ShallowGamer

ShallowGamer Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Foursquare
    Seconded, this is one of the things I should have learned wayyyyy before I began designing. I had no idea the differences between raster and vector formatted images.

17. ShallowGamer

ShallowGamer Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Foursquare
    Seconded, this is one of the things I should have learned wayyyyy before I began designing. I had no idea the differences between raster and vector formatted images.

Now for the rumored iPad 3 resolution what would the sprites dimensions need to be; and does it really matter? Frankly if I created a sprite with a resolution of 500x500 and then inserted code into the app that scaled it down appropriately, would it work just like the retina and non-retina sprite post (excerpt below)?

18. Emeric

Emeric Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2010
    I also recommend to work with high resolutions, but I agree it's more time. It depends on what graphics you make, but for instance, in our game we make highly detailed maps that are painted. The same map in 2048 requires much more time to paint than in 1024, because you add a lot of details. I'd say at least 30% more.

Anyway, we did everything for the iPad resolution and I regret it as we might port it to XBLA or PSN and I can say bye bye to 1080p.

19. Vetasoft

Jul 27, 2010
    That's exactly what I mean.

Maybe they are 30% if you really care of production and want to work in low def but It's always useful. Good exemple is for the Mac AppStore port but I've forgot the XBLA and the PSN.

You will lose 130% in you want to port your game later.
    Maybe not this year, maybe not to the XBLA or the PSN but for the next generation of mobiles devices.