Cubed Rally Redline - by Jared Bailey (Cubed Rally Racer, Infinite Surf)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by nocanwin, Oct 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nocanwin

nocanwin Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    #1 nocanwin, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
    I'm getting close on the next game in the Cubed Rally series and I wanted to start a thread and show some images.

Features I'm working on

- distance and points leaderboards
    - randomly generated tracks
    - new obstacles
    - lane based controls, think Excitebike
    - emergency time brake
    - more vehicles
    - drifting
    - universal app, all current resolutions
    - indestructible gophers and cows.
    - $0.99

The gameplay is pretty straight forward. See how far you can get. Tracks are randomly generated and get more difficult with speed. Your speed increases with each gas pickup. There will be two leaderboards, one for distance and one for score. Score players have to concentrate on avoiding obstacles and hitting drift powerups. Distance players can just concentrate on avoiding obstacles.

cheers,

Jared

Attached Files:

2. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Hey, sweet! I loved the first one! Will it support iPhone 5 and the iPad? What about iCloud?

3. nocanwin

Jun 11, 2009
    It'll be a universal app and It'll definitely support the new resolutions. I was thinking about doing iCloud in an update, but if there's a demand I can spend some extra time and implement it.

4. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Awesome, great to hear! Probably an insta-buy from me then. : )

5. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Nice! :D

Are we gonna get more music from 8-Bit Weapon?

6. nocanwin

Jun 11, 2009
  7. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
  8. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Yes, yes, yes!!!! Finally another cubed rally racer!!!! It's one of the very few games which I've had always installed since the very beginning. More than two years ago since it was released. I don't know if lane-based controls will suit me as much as the controls in CRR1, but anyway, instabuy because of how much I liked the first one. How are you going to solve the S turns using lane based controls? Anyway, now for requests :D

- random weather and/or time of day.
    - more kinds of scenery, maybe race sometimes between houses, giving it aspect of rallying through small villages.

You've already said you will implement the rest of the things I want (more cars, etc.) Btw, I don't play between devices, but experience tells me many people appreciate iCloud support, so I think you're better releasing the game with iCloud than without it...

On a sidenote: will you ever update CRR1 to retina graphics? Sent you several mails to support throughout the months asking this but never got a reply. Thanks for your time!

9. nocanwin

Jun 11, 2009
    Putting things in lanes has really opened up the level design for me. I wanted to try a lot of new things and they'd would've been way to difficult to drive through with the old controls.

3 controls, left, right and time brake. The game speed will ramp up as you play, but if you ever get into a situation you can't handle you can hit the time brake. It'll slow down time for a brief moment and you have a chance to adjust your line.

I've definitely got plans for some new scenery. A desert level is the first on my list.

I'm definitely look into iCloud for the release. I knew I wanted it so cars are transferable. It'd be a pain to unlock them again.

Hmmm... it must of fell through the cracks. I try really hard to answer all my support emails. Unfortunately the ship has probably sailed on updating CRR1 due to some changes apple made to the latest xcode. Plus it's only me so I have to focus all my energy into making this game the best it can be! :D

10. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Ok, ok, no worries... Concentrate on CRR2 to satisfy my needs :D thanks!

11. nocanwin

Jun 11, 2009
    Forgot to answer this one. The lanes carry through the S turns. So if you're in lane 1 at the start of the corner, you'll be in lane 1 at the exit. So while the controls have gotten simpler/easier the intensity of the different track sections has increased!

I've also added a drift pickup. If you hit it going in to a corner you'll drift, not out of your lane, and earn points until exit the corner or change lanes.

I'll try and get some gameplay video up in the next couple of weeks.

12. nocanwin

Jun 11, 2009
    #12 nocanwin, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
    [deleted: I figured out how to add screens to the first post]

13. nocanwin

Jun 11, 2009
    Added a new screen. If you look closely you can see the car is about to run into some Spy Hunter inspired boat action! :D

14. razu

razu New Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Videogame Programmer
    Leamington Spa, England, UK
    This looks wicked! On the radar! :D

I want to make a spiritual successor to Neo Drift Out, loved that game...

15. diffusion8r

diffusion8r Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    Can we eventually get a retina update for Cubed Rally Racer, even if it is DLC for the 5 of us who still play it? It has stayed on my iPod 2g and is still on my new iPhone 4S, so I am very excited for this new one too.

16. nocanwin

Jun 11, 2009
    I would love to, but it would be a ton of work because of the way I built it. It would probably take me the more time to update the old game as it would to build a new one from the ground up! My plan is to do a series of Cubed Rally games so hopefully there will be something in the next couple releases that you like just as much.

17. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Cool! There's vehicle changing! Sounds awesome!

18. nocanwin

Jun 11, 2009
    yeah, I'm trying a bunch of new things with this game. I hope people like it!

19. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I sure do! :)

20. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Wow, this is looking pretty awesome. How far off is it?