HDMI out and gaming

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by killercow, Dec 18, 2012.

1. There is a dedicated app called joypad where you can use the following games to play with your iphone...

http://getjoypad.com/games/

There are also some games where you download certain specific apps, or a duplicate copy of an app to control on your iphone like chopper 2. There aren't that many, but if I think of some, or some other know some, please post. Try the joypad app though, there are quite a few games that work on it, and consider buying an icade core as I showed above, it has a ton of games it can support, and is quite fun.

@Greyskull
    Wow, you got a nice looking setup, I am impressed. Just got home from Indian Wells Tennis Tournament, so tired, will think and post a reply for you tomorrow. Cheers.

Attached Files:

2. #202 Connector, Mar 16, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
    Reprinted from the Danmaku Unlimited 2 Thread

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Exact-Psience
    I hate you Connector. You always make me jealous of your icades and controllers and hdmi setups and other stuff.

Now im looking for a good price to get me an icade core. :p

Quote:
    Originally Posted by xjaff
    Is this the Icade core you are looking for?
    http://www.amazon.com/Ion-iCade-Arca.../dp/B008BGY2I6

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SumoSplash
    Connector you should start an iCade thread, or maybe an entire site, with HDMI sub genres.

-------

Actually, I am glad that you all are interested in the icade core, I really look forward to having a couple more of TA's elders supporting it and propelling us into the future of using wireless joysticks and our ipads as consoles.

6 months ago, I felt kinda lonely being one of only a few people that gave hdmi tv a shot, but now so happy that so many people on this board are using either hdmi tv or its sister appletv now.

Kinda feel alittle bit the same way with my icade core, but I can't even give it the praise it deserves. Man, it just rocks! It feels better than an arcade joystick and man, love it more than an xbox or ps3 joystick!

Especially on games like DU2, Blazing Star, and Tabletop racing, it just rocks! DU2 plays totally awesome with my icade core, and it is just a total different experience. The feel and such makes it feel like an arcade game.

Used to think this icade stuff was just for hardcore cabinet mod guys, or it was a fluke with this bluetooth keyboard imitation stuff. But man, when I got it, I was shocked, and it wasn't nearly as expensive as I thought. Actually a good deal price wise, cause it is a heavy duty stick with very good mechanics and buttons.

Even junky old games like Velocspider are coming back to life with joystick control over the default tilt controls. It really is fun and brings back old memories of being in an arcade.

Attached Files:

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Probably, about 5 years or so from now, HDMI output can be touchscreen as well so that i can use my 41" HDMI TV to play pinball games for great realism!!! :D

Or maybe play Playdek, or Neuroshima Hex, or Reiner Knizia games on it... :D

Or play realtime strategy games like Anomaly titles or ERA TD or that Starcraft-ish Gameloft game and lay my TV on a flat table and play it like i was inside a flagship commanding troops around!

Even tactics games are going to be so cool placing units around the table! :D:D:D:D:D

ok thats enough rambling. :D

4. Yeah, it would be cool to have a touchscreen tv that would swivel to any position, then you could play it like a console at times, then play it flat, and play something like Starcraft where you are the Captain. That would be pretty hot. Heck, 3d holographs would be cool too while we are at it like Princess Leigh in Star Wars.

Until then, all I got is my 25 foot hdmi cable... And slew of oddball joysticks.

Here's Angry Birds on a touchscreen tv at a convention.

Attached Files:

5. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Future tvs might incorporate Either Microsoft Kinect or Samsung S4's Air Touch tech so you can play games with them. That saves on making a touchscreen tv.

6. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    I would be interested to know how the Surface win 8 proper (not RT) works out practically as a touch gaming machine, whether or not standard PC games translate okay.

7. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    I don't see why playing standard PC games on the Surface Pro would be any different than playing them on a laptop.

As for Windows 8 specific games that support the touchscreen directly as part of the design, are there any yet at all?

8. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Yeah that's what I'm curious about, does all touch input translate okay for a game like say Starcraft 2 (bar keyboard) or do they really need to be patched natively to be enjoyable?

9. Menneisyys

Menneisyys Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    #209 Menneisyys, Mar 17, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
    I've very thoroughly benchmarked the new adapter and compared it to the old one.

While its image quality is excellent (as opposed to what the Panic article states), it introduces a sizable latency - between 80 and 100ms. (I've tested this several times) The old VGA adapter, when mirroring the iPad 3's screen, doesn't add any latency and I assume the old HDMI adapter is the same in this respect.

Only the wireless AirPlay has turned out to be worse, with around 130-150ms latency.

That is, the new adapter is NOT really suited for fast action / racing games.

See my posts at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=17005861 ; for example, the latest one (with tons of benchmark videos) at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=17005861#post17005861

EDIT: posted some new RR2 / RR3 videos: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=17010391&postcount=430

10. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    Are there any other Apple TV 3 users here? I have a recurring issue with the iPhone Remote app as the keyboard would sometimes not appear in Youtube when I am searching and the only way to restore it is to force quit the Remote app and restart it...

11. Menneisyys

Menneisyys Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Not even when you tap "Show keyboard" in Control mode? I mean this one (annotated by me):

[​IMG]

I have never encountered this problem on my 6.1.2 JB'n iPhone 5 with ATV3.

12. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    #212 iPadisGreat, Mar 17, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
    Mine is stock Apple TV 3, and the error occurred both with the original OS it shipped with as well as the latest one it prompted me to update to, 5.2 (6010.96).

I have Remote version 3.0.1 installed on my iPhone 3GS running iOS 6.1.2.

This photo shows what I usually get when I enter the search page. It looks different from yours. In fact, I do not think I have ever seen the [show keyboard] label appearing before as each time I enter the search screen it either immediately shows what my screenshot depicts, if there is no error.

After watching several videos, on entering the search page, my Remote's screen would look just like your screenshot except without the [show keyboard] label and also without the searchbox shown in my photo.

The touchpad will still work to allow manual selection of the ABCs on the tv like as if I was using the Apple TV's bundled hardware IR controller...

Attached Files:

13. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    #213 Adams Immersive, Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
    I'm looking forward to my iCade Core (already love the full iCade), and if I had more gamer friends it would be the ideal unit: the iCade + iOS device + HDML cable easily go in a bag to game on someone else's TV.

14. webvan

webvan New Member

Feb 28, 2013
    OK so using the latest HDMI adapter with my iPad 2, Pilot's Path does give the 1920x1080 resolution as an option so your hunch was correct. The iPhone 4S/iPad 2/HDM/47" TV works well for Pilot's Path but not so well for "Real Racing 2", the framerate really doesn't seem to be very high, I'd say 50% of normal at best, it ain't no PS3!

I'll try the joypad setup you mention, that Final Freeway car game brings back memories. One of my favorite games ever was "Crazy Cars 2" on the Amiga, with maps and all. There should be more games with maps!

15. Good.

Real Racing 2 uses Airplay hdmi full screen. It does not display high resolution, probably 720p or so. It does not look 1080p like Real Racing does with my ipad 3. I don't know if RR2 plays better on the ipad 2 or 3 due its low res graphics, but the ipad 3 may run it better cause of the much better gpu, but I am not sure.

Anyway, RR2 looks ok on my ipad 3 hdmi tv, but it may not be the same as you are seeing. But it is lower resolution than most games that I play, and the framerates will be helped if you do not play cockpit view.

RR3 on the otherhand is mirrored ipad 3, and it looks reslly sharp. Framerates are pretty good on it, pretty close to a ps3, not quite, but pretty good. Here is an attached screenshot of RR3.

As for joystick, the joypad app with an iphone is ok, but it really is not the greatest way to go. It feels and plays like a tech demo. Plus it is not a real joystick with buttons.

I would recommend highly to get an icade core joystick. It really is AMAZING, feels just like an arcade stick, and plays hundreds of games wonderfully. Can't say enough about it. It is a wonder just like hdmi tv is. Like the feel of the icade core much more than an xbox or ps3 controller. It is really really fun.

Attached Files:

16. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    My Apple TV 3 issue seems to have been resolved after applying the latest iOS updates, 5.2.1 for Apple TV 3 and 6.1.3 for my iPhone 3GS.

The "Show Keyboard" label will now appear when I return to the search page in Youtube. At least that was from my initial testing since I just updated earlier...

17. #217 Connector, Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
    Reprinted from Phoenix HD thread.

I just played an hour of Blazing Star, Raiden, Phoenix HD, Danmaku 2, Storm Strikers, and Airattack HD.

All on my icade core.

All have options for autofire, or default to autofire. Most let you switch to either autofire or not. Phoenix hd does not.

My impressions. Icade core play is about 3x funner than touch controls. However, it is harder to get high scores. Touch controls I always play on hardest mode. With my icade core, I usually play on normal. Icade core does use a lot of battery due to bluetooth wireless.

Phoenix hd, is funner on icade core, but touch controls are very close in funness. This game controls well in both icade and touch. I'm not sure if you knew, but the buttons do control secondary functions, so it adds to the game.

Usually I prefer auto fire with both touch and icade. With my icade core, it is really fun to play for 5 minutes with auto fire off, but after a while, button mashing is no fun for me, so I will turn autofire back on.

You can always just fake it, and keep hitting one of the buttons on an icade core just to mimic autofire off. Actually, if you kind of believe its not, it will mimic the experience quite well.

Icade code controls in Phoenix HD and Danmaku 2 play really well in terms of accuracy, better than the other games, in my opinion.

Danmaku 2 really gets better play with an icade core. It is ok for me with touch, but with icade core, it just becomes a totally different game. Icade core is so much funner than touch, not even close.

Raiden is the same way, kinda cruddy touch controls, but man, it rocks with my icade core. I get a real sense that I am in the arcades. Don't play much with touch, but with the core, it rocks. Plus the funky framerates are less of an issue with the icade core, cause you are so frantically hitting the joystick, that the jiggling on the screen seems natural. Icade core is a must for this game.

Blazing star plays well in three configs - icade core, touch, and stylus on a tripod. Kinda like all three. However since it was designed for a slow joystick, it shines on the icade core. But touch and stylus are also great. This game is good for hdmi too cause the graphics aren't high res.

Storm strikers 2, I would never play on my ipad cause it's 2x and the framerates too in this game are funky. But as is the same for Raiden Trilogy, the icade core saves this game. Seems like games that have a little jerkiness with, play so much better with the icade core, cause everything is jerking around when you have your ipad mounted in the icade core.

Storm strikers 2, just rocks with an icade core and hdmi tv, just wish now that my dream will be granted, and Danmaku the original will add icade support. Icade is a must for storm strikers 2, without it, I probably wouldn't play it much.

Airattackhd, is an old game that I never bought in the past, but just started playing recently cause of icade core support. It is a pretty fun game, but shines with icade core support. This game too like Storm strikers 2, probably wouldn't play this much without icade core support. Plus this game looks pretty on hdmi tv.

Attached screenshot is Blazing Star.

Attached Files:

18. #218 Connector, Mar 23, 2013
    Repost of a question I've been getting alot about the icade core, will it work with cases.

The short answer, yes with almost all slim and medium cases. Bulky cases, probably not. But use it as a wireless bluetooth joystick, with ipad on a table, and icade code in your lap. Or use it with HDMI.

The icade core is very light, so playing it on my lap for hours is really no problem. It actually is very comfortable cause both hands can rest on the lip of the joystick, so there is very little hand fatigue. It is a nice sturdy design, I have been very pleasantly surprised.

The button springs are pretty stiff though, so your fingers may get a little tired in button mashing games. Can see why some people choose to modify it, but the buttons aren't bad, and they will probably loosen up a little over time.

While it's nice to play in the slot, a lot of times, it's funner not too and beat the hell out of your joystick playing fast and furious games like Metal Slug. Also, the best way to play of course hehe, is hdmi tv. You get a true console experience, and can keep your ipad somewhere where it can be connected to hdmi and power, so you can play all day long with no power issues or ipad weight issues. Put your icade core in your lap, and you are in heaven.

Attached Files:

19. #219 Connector, Mar 24, 2013
    I'm looking forward to hearing some feedback on your new Icade core joystick with your hdmi projector system. There aren't too many people yet like you and I with a full console ios system with bluetooth joysticks, and it is cool to hear that you have a projector, wish I had one.

Kinda funny how I kinda shifted into your camp - the icade thread, and you have shifted into our camp - the hdmi thread. Opposite approaches to where we are, but nonetheless, the same great exact place - a full blown console with bigscreen and bluetooth joysticks. Totally sexy.

But yes, the icade core's strength is it's portability, ease of use, and ability to use in your lap with or without your ipad. It makes a wonderful bluetooth joystick, yesterday, I was playing a bit on my xbox, and I kept thinking, man, my icade core is so much better than an xbox controller.

Can you believe that??? I would have been shocked to hear me saying that 6 months ago, but it is true. My icade core joystick is so much funner to play than my xbox controller. The feel, size, stick, buttons, do not compare on the xbox controller.

Plus I like how it fits on my lap without the ipad in it. It is light, and fun, just like an old arcade. I can also play with my ipad on a tripod on a table, then put the icade core in my lap. It is sexy.

Bah, forget the xbox, playing with it really made me realize how wonderful an Icade Core is. Played one hour of Metal Slug X, and man, that joystick and buttons are heavenly. But my finger hurt from the button mashing though hehe.

And the best part is, it is portable, take it to the library, take it to your friends house, let your friends borrow it, play it while on the john, no problem (except when wiping...)!!!

Attached Files:

20. Reprint from the Icade Thread

My only portal really is through Toucharcade. Guess cause I am one of the biggest posters, and I often have discusssions for improvements on games, a lot of them may know me in a sense.

Lately, I have been trying to help the icade cause just like I did with hdmi, cause I wanna see a world with an ipad or iphone as a console with joysticks.

Already got a huge interest in icade, but from my experience it takes about 3 months to see the interest here, cause people procrastinate on buying it and it takes them some time to start playing icade too.

So, I'm trying. Also, got 5 developers to commit to trying to implement icade in their games. At least try. But I am beta testing two, and both so far are going poorly. Since I don't have any idea how to implement icade, I kinda need a friendly developer who wouldn't mind help answer some basic questions, either that, or maybe I will try to outreach to Ion itself to see if they can help me and the other devs first.

But first, I need to get some kind of user support here first. If I get all these devs to spend time and money on implementing icade with only what, the 4 of us, Adams Immersive, Lost Deputy, ps309, and I to buy the game, it is pointless. Seems like we four are the only ones I see posting about icade.

Kinda felt like this way back with hdmi, felt all alone, but now many TA users have it or tried it. I was a little disappointed that icade has been out forever it seems, and hardly anyone has one. So I was skeptical about the icade core, seemed just like a toy, wondered even if the bluetooth keyboard weirdness would even work well.

But, I was shocked when I started to play. That stick is wonderful, and the icade core works wonders with hdmi tv. In fact, I like it better than any xbox of ps3 controller, cause it is fun.

Icade to me before just seemed like a toy for cabinet modz guys and such, but I was happy to see that the icade core joystick is more of a necessity not a toy.

But was kinda shocked, why were there no other icade core owners out there? I kinda felt alone once again. But it's ok, once we all spread the word, and I can convince maybe 5 of the elder TA members to get one, more people here will want icade.

Then maybe we can push hard for a developer to make a true Street Fighter game, and we can play it on icade.

I have a dream. :D

Attached Files: