Console quality experience

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Solidfart, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Solidfart

Solidfart Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    I'm looking for games that truly provide an experience good enough to rival my 360. So far my list consist of: Dead Space, Sky Gamblers, NFS MW and of course Bastion(amazing gameplay). While I did enjoy GL's MC3, however the controls left me... not so happy. Real Racing 2 while looking good, was just a frustrating slippery mess(in my opinion) and hopefully firemint will nail proper physics and vehicle behavior for RR3. However I will say after playing NFS MW, firemint is facing a serious challenge. By the way for the know-it-alls, I'm aware that iron monkeys n firemint are now one team. However both games were already in individual development long before the merger happened.

I suppose I should add The Walking Dead to that list. MW and Bastion r eating up all my time right now. What would you add?

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    What do you mean by "console quality"? As good as, say Silent Hill 2? Or as bad as Enter the Matrix?

IMO, "console quality" is a meaningless term. What you really mean is "big budget" or "not casual." Interestingly, many of the games you mention are indie games (Bastion, for example).

There are, of course, many games in the App Store that provide meaningful experiences. Many of them are ports from other platforms (The World Ends With You, for instance); others like Incoboto, Chaos Rings 1 & 2, or Wimp are iOS originals. Those games are great not because they are "console quality" but because they are made with heart and brains by people who respect their audience.

3. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Easy:

Shadowgun
    Shadowgun: Deadzone
    Nova 3
    Mass Effect: Infiltrator
    Lili

PS: I thought RR2 physics were spot on. Are you an arcade racing fan? The grip you get in those games are fake...RR2 has got real life physics reminiscent of the best racing sims out there.

4. klarence

klarence Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    crazy hedgy,nova3,paper monsters, chop chop caveman, great big war game, heroes of order & chaos, super monkey ball, death rally, sonic all star racing, supermagical, street figther volt, street fighter x tekken

5. Solidfart

Solidfart Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Thanks for your reply. Real Racing 2's physics "look" real but they are clever scripted actions. Ever notice how 90% of impact will spin your car backwards ALL THE TIME? I think your choices are very good too.

6. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Crazy Hedgy
    Aralon

7. DigitalB33R

DigitalB33R Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    The truth is that iOS gaming is not on par with console gaming.

People compared to a PS Vita or a 3DS these games...

-FIFA 13
    -NFS MW
    -N.O.V.A. 3
    -Bastion

8. klarence

Oct 22, 2011
    I can't agree with you at all, IOS gaming is on par with console gaming if I say.
    some people always say IOS gaming is not good compared to console gaming but they always use the weakness of ios to compare the advantage of the console game, it's illogical.
    the only thing is ios lack of original games from big companys, but it means nothing. Big company does not means great quality, I can name so many ios-oriented games not worse than their gaming console counterpart.

9. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    You have the logistics of space and content for one, it doesn't equate to the fun that can be had though either. Just saying. That won't change until Apple get up to speed on disk space.

Bladeslinger is fairly impressive graphically but a tad short on content, the IAP model is a bit in your face but you can side step it with Second Wind. For some reason Depth of Field was off by default in the options, turned it on and takes those combat scenes to a whole other level.

10. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    It all depends on what you're talking about, specifically. Two games mentioned here so far are Dead Space and Mass Effect: Infiltrator, both of which are absolutely nowhere near as lengthy, detailed, complex or impressive as their console counterparts. They're considered "console quality" by some, yet they're still a long way off being the same experience.

11. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    World of Goo was always a favorite of mine. Perfectly suited to the touchscreen for those who can't stand virtual buttons and a "console" experience. I would also second Aralon and Crazy Hedgy, I believe someone already mentioned it.

And if we're not going to get into control debates, I think we can all agree that Gameloft's shooters are console experiences; even IGN called NOVA 3's multiplayer "better than some consoles'". MC4 looks to improve on that even more, so if you can get used to the controls they're definitely worth it.

If we aren't just talking iOS exclusives here (Bastion and Walking Dead made the list) I would add R*'s ports and PoP: WW. All three are excellent games that translated well to the touchscreen for the most part. Also the Lostwinds ports if you like platformers.

12. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    #12 violentv, Nov 24, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
    I agree with MidiantGTX and squarezero. 'Console quality' although impressive sounding is such a vague benchmark that is practically useless.

However to think iOS gaming(I am not talking about ports here!) is on par with console gaming is just...lol. I think games that work really well on consoles are mostly RPGs and perhaps FPSs(pfft.. a mouse & keyboard combination is superior !). You just don't get the same sense of scale, deep engaging stories, great character development, awesome landscape designs, expansive lore infused worlds etc etc on iOS games.

I guess there is too much risk involved in developing something really ambitious for the iOS platform... I mean the developers aren't even going to know if their game will be accepted/rejected by Apple.

I would think that klarence doesn't have enough exposure to desktop or console gaming...or perhaps run-of-the-mill military shooters and platformers are all he plays =p Hey klarence, have you played Skyrim, Assassin's Creed, Xenoblade Chronicles, Heavy Rain, Resonance of Fate, Valkyria Chronicles, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, The Last Story, Arkham Asylum, Fallout 3, Dark Souls, Darksiders, Lost Odyssey, The Witcher, Dead Island etc? I genuinely want to know what you are basing your comparisons on! Perhaps after that you can point me in the direction of their iOS clones/ spiritual counterparts and explain why they are better. >.>

Some iOS games that I really enjoyed and have yet to be mentioned include the RPGs by Spiderweb : Avadon, Avernum etc , Aquaria and Ravenmark.

13. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    If a game were to be in a console, Saturday Morning RPG would be a blast to play. So are Chaos Rings Series, Penny Arcade RPG, Cthulhu Saves the World, Eternal Legacy, TWEWY (NDS port), ARC squadron, Gene Effect and Waking Mars, which would all be perfect with face buttons and the analog sticks.

Also, I would love to be able to play LOE, LOE2 and the Orangepixel titles, together with Mikey Shorts and Swordigo, on the big screen with some proper keypad.

I am also interested how the Dev would, if they could, put Blood Roofs on a console.

14. klarence

Oct 22, 2011
    that what i'm talking about, you can't use the weakness of ios to compare with consoles.
    3ds and psvita even never get dead space and ME so far, but no one say they are inferior to other consoles because they don't have blah blah blah, see the difference?
    people refuse to admit IOS gaming like to ignore the weakness of other consoles and emphasis the weakness of IOS.

15. violentv

Nov 4, 2010
    #15 violentv, Nov 24, 2012
    lol..Let me break this to you gently. I think people are mostly very grounded and realistic and accept the fact that handhelds are generally inferior to consoles.

16. klarence

Oct 22, 2011
    I refer handheld to handheld console.
    handheld gaming machine is a gaming console itself, so I say 'other consoles'
    the problem is some so called 'hardcore gamer'---or I prefer to call them let's say arrogant and close mind angry cynical guys refuse to accept ios device is also a valid (even more ) powerful gaming console/machine now.

17. violentv

Nov 4, 2010
    you should also realize that when developers and people on this thread mention 'console quality'..they are not referring to Nintendo's and Sony's under selling handheld consoles. Most people are generally very open minded about issues like this..it is your aggressive insistence on putting the iOS platform on the pedestal that has spawned/hijacked quite a few threads . Let's take it to PMs if you want a civil discussion!

18. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I know my ipod touch isnt the same as my friends X-Box 360, but its a totally different league.

There are 'console' games and mobile games. Mobile games are getting better and better but without the same processor/memory as a console you'll never get them the same.

But i dont mind, i prefer gameplay over amazing graphics/sound etc, for me there are SO many playable games on my ipod touch

I dont really care for consoles, all about gameplay for me

19. klarence

Oct 22, 2011
    #19 klarence, Nov 24, 2012
    aggressive insistence ?I actually named the games has console quality and the reasons why.
    so it's a fact other than a illogical describe. no one can force me to give up my own ideas unless they can actullay persuade me with valid reasons.
    some guys ever try to attack my personality when I say "gangstar rio is better than GTA chinatown", but I don't attack people, I give reasons.
    maybe they hate gameloft, maybe they love rockstar too much, but it's not my business, some people say gangstar rio is so cheap a mobile game , but does that matter with game quality?
    it's not aggressive at all, people who attack others is aggressive.
    look at the reason some people deny ios has console quality, let's keep it to the topic. only the fact matters.
    and I'm not saying people here are cynical guys, but it obviouly a phenomenon some people can't give the certain reasons and valid perspective to support their verdict.
    one can't just say 'no you are wrong because I think I'm right'.
    and I honestly don't think handheld is not gaming console any more? moreover, handheld is inferior to home consoles? it's still may the conclusion from the unjust compare.

20. DigitalB33R

DigitalB33R Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Have you ever played on a console before?

Sorry, but you can't even compare. You pay what you get.

Halo 4
    Black Ops II
    Assassin's Creed III
    Hitman: Absolution
    GTA V